Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #16
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
The initial syncing can take hours. I use it for files which do not get modified a whole lot.

Also be aware you cannot sync individual files over 250MB with a free account.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #17
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Here's something from a comparison of dropbox and box:

"That said, Box boasts it has ‘Fast Uploads’ but quite honestly, I found uploading and syncing to Box painfully slow. Just uploading 3 web optimised jpg images to Box took minutes. Dropbox on the other hand uploads and syncs almost instantly."

http://www.onlinedesignuk.co.uk/odbl...-the-winner-is

I have yet to register, but I'm curious if uploading is really that slow.

[MODERATOR - edited out a quote not attributable to me.]

Anyone, please?

Don
I uploaded a single 4mb tiff file as a test on a Sunday afternoon. It didn't seem particularly slow to me. At least not so I noticed. Maybe in a batch, it would be different.

With the auto sync (where you drop a file into the synch folder) I did feel I had trouble knowing when it started and stopped. I kept waiting for something to happen, when it dawned on me, that perhaps it already had. I was correct, the file went up without me noticing, I guess.

I tried to open the photo up for viewing by the general public, but apparently, while I can invite specific people to share the file, allowing it to be shared with anyone must require an upgrade. That's a bit of a bummer for me.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-11-2013 at 09:36 AM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #18
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
"....I'd offer to let you view the file...." is NOT my quote.

I'm putting my Moderator hat on now in order to edit that from my quote above.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #19
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OH I think I see the reason!

I added that part in an edit. I must have gotten confused as to where I was in the post.

My apologies. I think I hate reply with quotes. . .
Old 02-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #20
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Here's something from a comparison of dropbox and box:

"That said, Box boasts it has ‘Fast Uploads’ but quite honestly, I found uploading and syncing to Box painfully slow. Just uploading 3 web optimised jpg images to Box took minutes. Dropbox on the other hand uploads and syncs almost instantly."

http://www.onlinedesignuk.co.uk/odbl...-the-winner-is

I have yet to register, but I'm curious if uploading is really that slow.

Anyone, please?

Don
before the sync app, it was painfully slow. Haven't tried much since installing, but it has a box to limit upload and/or download speeds, so it won't take all your bandwidth, as dropbox will.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #21
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
The sync app is really horrible. I uploaded 8GB took over a week but then it refused to sync. Just one file change like a book or reboot the sync took over 40 hours to complete even though I only made one small change to it. My computer was screaming I finally gave up and removed it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #22
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
before the sync app, it was painfully slow. Haven't tried much since installing, but it has a box to limit upload and/or download speeds, so it won't take all your bandwidth, as dropbox will.
Dropbox also has this feature. It's under preferences.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #23
Poodlemom1
Groupie
Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Glow HD, Fire HD6, iPad Air 2, Mini 2
I have had my box account for years. I got the 50 gb free last year. I never used it until they developed the desktop sync app. My caliber library (almost 1800 books) is stored there (too large for dropbox). I like it as well as dropbox and sugar sync. It syncs automatically when I add a book or if I make changes. It doesn't seem to take longer than dropbox did. It downloads the book to my ipad/iphone quickly.
Poodlemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #24
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodlemom1 View Post
I have had my box account for years. I got the 50 gb free last year. I never used it until they developed the desktop sync app. My caliber library (almost 1800 books) is stored there (too large for dropbox). I like it as well as dropbox and sugar sync. It syncs automatically when I add a book or if I make changes. It doesn't seem to take longer than dropbox did. It downloads the book to my ipad/iphone quickly.
Are you saying your box syncs in only minutes? My Dropbox is 19GB but I have my Calibre library on there which 11GB and it syncs when starting in under 3 minutes and immediately as I make file changes in seconds. On Box it took days literally when I had 8GB in there on even the smallest changes.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #25
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
For a grin, I dropped a one meg file in my box folder on my pc and about one minute later checked and the file was already synced to the box cloud.

I will try later to see how fast the download to my nexus will be.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #26
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
For a grin, I dropped a one meg file in my box folder on my pc and about one minute later checked and the file was already synced to the box cloud.

I will try later to see how fast the download to my nexus will be.
Like I said in an earlier post, I synced a 4 meg TIF (photo) file from my PC to Box, and I bet it didn't take 20 seconds (If that). You should see how slow a photo that size gets loaded to various photo display sites.

To be honest, I don't see that much difference in speed between Box and Google Drive. I think those reporting significant speed issues need to consider the possibility of other causes than basic programming or Box's technical infrastructure.

Even if it was slower, certainly many people can find a use for 50 gig of drive space for free!
Old 02-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #27
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Like I said in an earlier post, I synced a 4 meg TIF (photo) file from my PC to Box, and I bet it didn't take 20 seconds (If that). You should see how slow a photo that size gets loaded to various photo display sites.

To be honest, I don't see that much difference in speed between Box and Google Drive. I think those reporting significant speed issues need to consider the possibility of other causes than basic programming or Box's technical infrastructure.

Even if it was slower, certainly many people can find a use for 50 gig of drive space for free!
I already have 50GB free It was offer to me because of a review of their service I did. The Syncing is fine until you try use that free space. I uploaded each day 1GB as an experiment till I reach 8GB and it become unusable. There Android app works fine though. Desktop version needs some serious work if you going to actually use the space given to you.

I've been running their sync program for the last 3 hours. It's still at 14% saying looking for files on my PC. My Box folder is empty.

Here's a thread at their Support Forum so people can see I'm not the only one who has issues using their sync software.

Last edited by Blossom; 02-11-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #28
Poodlemom1
Groupie
Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Are you saying your box syncs in only minutes? My Dropbox is 19GB but I have my Calibre library on there which 11GB and it syncs when starting in under 3 minutes and immediately as I make file changes in seconds. On Box it took days literally when I had 8GB in there on even the smallest changes.
I am only using 4.1 GB...maybe that's why it is fast. It took a while on my first sync, but now it updates quickly.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #29
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodlemom1 View Post
I am only using 4.1 GB...maybe that's why it is fast. It took a while on my first sync, but now it updates quickly.
That's good to know I am looking over my notes. It seems once I reached over 5GB was when it started having problems. I currently 8 GB in my Box but have disable that folder because it can't sync it.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #30
Poodlemom1
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
That's good to know I am looking over my notes. It seems once I reached over 5GB was when it started having problems. I currently 8 GB in my Box but have disable that folder because it can't sync it.
I will watch out for this as my library increases.