Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-15-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
jttraverse
Enthusiast
jttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it is

Device: none
CSS styles not displaying in some eReader apps??

Hello folks,
I resolved my TOC issues mentioned in my last post and have my book and table-of-contents displaying as I think they should now...up to a point. I have been finding that when I open my book on my color Nook and check it out using several different eReader apps, for some reason the CSS styles for chapter numbers, chapter names, alignment, etc.. do -not- seem to be working?

Using Calibre or ADE on my laptop shows the book just as it should, and the CSS styles show up perfectly. But when I upload the book to my tablet and view it, all the text and styling seems to be lost. It's as if when I view the ePub file on the device, no reader app (i.e. Laputa, CoolReader, MoonReader, etc.) seems to even read the template.css file--which is definitely there since it's fine on my laptop.

Anyone have any idea why that might be?
-JTT
jttraverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have a go with FlightCrew to see if there are any errors in your ePub. If there are, fix them. When FlightCrew says there are no more errors and the ePub is fine in ADE then try the ePub on your tablet. If you still have a problem, then the problem is with the reader apps.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2011, 12:31 AM   #3
jttraverse
Enthusiast
jttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it is

I have FlightCrew, but I'm not sure I am convinced of it's accuracy/effectiveness at the moment.

When I check the epub with FlightCrew it does point out some issues (mostly fonts not used and a few tags I was aware of). But what is bizarre is that it also indicates that the entire 'Fonts' directory, which already exists where Sigil puts it, also exists inside the 'Styles' directory (i.e. Styles/Fonts/), and it says the fonts are 'reachable but not present in the OPF'. There is certainly not a Fonts directory in the Styles directory..there is just the single 'template.css' file there.
Likewise, FlightCrew also says that every single one of the fonts does exist in the OPF but is 'not reachable'...when
Old 05-16-2011, 12:35 AM   #4
jttraverse
Enthusiast

(cont'd from previous post)

...the Fonts directory is there with all the fonts in it just as they're pointed to in the OPF.
So, why FlightCrew says none of the fonts in the /Font directory are reachable (they're unused?), when I know they are all there and at the moment at least some of them are being used, is a mystery to me. And, why is says there is a /Styles/Fonts directory with reachable fonts, when there is no such directory, is weird to say the least. It makes FlightCrew kind of useless to me at present.
-JTT
Old 05-16-2011, 06:33 AM   #5
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Could it be that your CSS file refers to the font files as "Fonts/xxxx" instead of "../Fonts/xxxx". This would locate them in /Styles/Fonts as the CSS file is in /Styles.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2011, 04:13 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have never had FlightCrew say there is an issue with fonts when the code for the fonts was correct.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:05 AM   #7
huebi
Zealot
huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Not all Readers supports all of the CSS rules. You should stay below specification 2.1 and avoid pseudo-classes.

Its the same with browsers....
huebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:42 PM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I seem to remember that pseudo elements are not supported by at least ADE. There was actually some discussion at the IDPF whether it should or should not be supported according to the specification.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:43 PM   #9
jttraverse
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have never had FlightCrew say there is an issue with fonts when the code for the fonts was correct.
It was strange, so I downloaded the latest FlightCrew version to be sure I was on it, and then I ran the file through the check again. Oddly, it reported the same things..specifically, that there was a /Styles/Fonts directory -and- a simple /Fonts directory. It only reported them as it was saying that this or that font was not in the OPF, or that it was in the OPF but 'not reachable', etc. At that point I ran a full check through all the files in the book looking for any indication that there may be text string "/Styles/Fonts" somewhere, and there was nothing in any file -xhtml, opf, css, ncx, etc.

I went ahead and removed the unused fonts and then FlightCrew reported there were no errors (curiously, I'd also had Sigil validate the ePub, and it showed no problem relating to fonts that are there but aren't used, so maybe it isn't a big problem.).
Anyway, while I'm glad there are no errors, I still cannot say why FlightCrew was reporting there was a /Styles/Fonts directory when there was nothing in the /Styles directory except my .css file. But it did help me remove extraneous fonts, so I'm good with that.
-JTT
Old 05-18-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Just out of curiosity, did you run the original epub through ThreePress' epubcheck, or another epubcheck tool/program, besides FC? I'd like to know the results....
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #11
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
It's funny that the validation in Sigil did not reports errors and Flightcrew did... Sigil uses Flightcrew for validation.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:51 PM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
It's funny that the validation in Sigil did not reports errors and Flightcrew did... Sigil uses Flightcrew for validation.
@Toxaris:

Yeah...it's one of the reasons I was asking the OP if s/he'd used, say, ThreePress's online validation tool on the original (failing) file...I'm curious.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:31 AM   #13
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
You forget that Sigil normalizes the epub structure upon load. So when you run the internal FC on that, you won't get the same results as the vanilla FC run, which looks at the original file.

Do keep in mind that results vary only on very rare occasions.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote