Notices

Old 03-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
Paxman53
Connoisseur
Paxman53 began at the beginning.

Device: 7" Tablet - Aldiko Reader Premium
Broken quotations

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know a regex code that will close a broken quote.

e.g.

At present:

<p class="calibre6">‘I have a meeting in five minutes with the Prefect of Police, on the Mayeur case.</p>

<p class="calibre6">Tell me about yourself as we go. Oh, and I’ll expect you to take minutes, all right?’</p>

Should be:

<p class="calibre6">‘I have a meeting in five minutes with the Prefect of Police, on the Mayeur case. Tell me about yourself as we go. Oh, and I’ll expect you to take minutes, all right?’</p>

I seem to have a lot of occurences of this in the conversions I am doing. Other regex codes close gaps when there is an obvious break in the sentence i.e. a line will begin with a lower case character.
But I can't seem to find one that does what I need above.

Thanks in advance
Paxman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Kind of hard to do this with typographic quotes (or even straight quotes) with any sort of automated/logical approach. Since there's no difference between an apostrophe and a closing single quote (and other special cases where opening quotes don't always have a matching closing quote), it's not really very feasible with a regex expression (especially when any F&R—that's to be trusted, anyway—must take place in Code (html) view).

Finding a regexp that does this accurately in all cases will be very unlikely. An external program/script that used heuristic logic may stand a better chance, but will probably be just as hard to come across (or write).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-10-2012 at 10:58 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxman53 View Post
Does anyone know a regex code that will close a broken quote.
Yup, this one will work with your sample:

Code:
(<p class="calibre6">‘.+?)</p>\s+?<p class="calibre6">(.+?’</p>)
Replace with "\1 \2"

As stated above, this should be used with caution in step by step mode. (Mode: regex dotall)

Last edited by mmat1; 03-10-2012 at 11:48 AM.
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
It will take nearly as long to do with regex as by hand, but it will be a little bit easier if your mind doesn't wander.

Thanks for the code, mmat1. Adding it to my collection.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:19 AM   #5
Paxman53
Connoisseur
Paxman53 began at the beginning.

Device: 7" Tablet - Aldiko Reader Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmat1 View Post
Yup, this one will work with your sample:

Code:
(<p class="calibre6">‘.+?)</p>\s+?<p class="calibre6">(.+?’</p>)
Replace with "\1 \2"

As stated above, this should be used with caution in step by step mode. (Mode: regex dotall)
Thankyou Mmati1

It worked perfectly

Much appreciated
Paxman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #6
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxman53 View Post
Thankyou
you're welcome
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote