Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
1katie23
Enthusiast
1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Nook Color running CM7, Galaxy Note II
AZW3 Import from K4PC

Hi all. I'm a new user to Calibre and have managed pretty well up until this point. I've been importing all of my k4pc books into Calibre without problem (most are mobi format), but one of the books is in azw3 and when it imports into Calibre, lots of errors show up like alphanumeric characters in the middle of sentences or sentences broken up by other words that don't belong there. The book itself is ok when reading in the k4pc app, but something is happening upon import to Calibre. I'm running Calibre version 0.9.2.

Does anyone know what could be causing this and are there any solutions?

I did uninstall the k4pc app and reinstalled it, but to no avail. I didn't deregister the app from Amazon though. Don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Thanks in advance for your help.
1katie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Hard to say without access to the file in question, but it sounds like your file is damaged in some way, most likely by the DRM removal process. Try opening the copy of the file in calibre (that is the copy without the DRM) in K4PC and see if it shows the same problems.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2012, 11:59 PM   #3
1katie23
Enthusiast
1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The file in calibre opens in k4pc without the errors.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then open a bug report and attach the file (the one without DRM)
Old 11-11-2012, 02:17 AM   #5
1katie23
Enthusiast

Working on figuring out how to do this.
Advert
Old 11-11-2012, 02:21 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

http://calibre-ebook.com/bugs
Old 11-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
drypen
drypen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1katie23 View Post
Hi all. I'm a new user to Calibre and have managed pretty well up until this point. I've been importing all of my k4pc books into Calibre without problem (most are mobi format), but one of the books is in azw3 and when it imports into Calibre, lots of errors show up like alphanumeric characters in the middle of sentences or sentences broken up by other words that don't belong there. The book itself is ok when reading in the k4pc app, but something is happening upon import to Calibre. I'm running Calibre version 0.9.2.

Does anyone know what could be causing this and are there any solutions?

I did uninstall the k4pc app and reinstalled it, but to no avail. I didn't deregister the app from Amazon though. Don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Does your book have a lot of pictures in it? If not then just load the book into Calibre, go to your Calibre Library (C://users etc) & copy the book into another folder, go to the copy of the book and change the extension from azw3 to mobi or prc (whichever you prefer), delete the book from calibre, add the mobi or prc extension book and convert that. I've done it several times and the only time it didn't work is if the book was basically all pictures.

Last edited by drypen; 11-11-2012 at 05:05 PM.
drypen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
1katie23
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Thanks for the link. I will post the bug report in Calibre later this week.

Of note, on further inspection of the book, there also appears to be sentences transposed with one another throughout the book. It happens every few pages or so. BTW is the bug report of the import or is there another bug report I should be reporting.

Thanks again in advance.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:37 PM   #9
MIRG2012
MIRG2012 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by drypen View Post
Does your book have a lot of pictures in it? If not then just load the book into Calibre, go to your Calibre Library (C://users etc) & copy the book into another folder, go to the copy of the book and change the extension from azw3 to mobi or prc (whichever you prefer), delete the book from calibre, add the mobi or prc extension book and convert that. I've done it several times and the only time it didn't work is if the book was basically all pictures.
Greetings from Bogotá Colombia, I tried changing the extension to an e-book that came with MOBI extension AZW3 before attempting to convert it with Calibre (version 0.9.6) and it worked perfectly.

Thanks for the input,

Miguel Rojas
MIRG2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:42 PM   #10
MIRG2012
MIRG2012 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Best regards from Bogota Colombia Kovidgoyal that good work this CALIBRE, that good people like you make accessible to all the possibility of using software like this without any problems.

Miguel Rojas
MIRG2012 is offline   Reply With Quote