Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-13-2015, 07:13 PM   #16
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I totally agree with Deb. I have my Kindle Paperwhite 1 and my Kindle Voyage and my Nexus 5 cell phone. I need a tablet like a sports car needs a winch.
That's what I'm thinking. My Galaxy S5 smartphone, which is 'reasonably' competent as an e reader (with a tiny screen), can serve as a small screen tablet. And I need a laptop for photography when I travel anyway.

For me, the eReader is for reading comfort and battery life, not basic access.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:37 PM   #17
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have a Paperwhite 2 and a Voyage, both with 3G. I thought the Paperwhite was perfect till I got the Voyage and I guess I still do, but the Voyage is perfecter.

I like the lighter weight and the smaller size of the Voyage. I don't use it's new features like Page Press or the self-adjusting light. I'm too used to the Paperwhite so I just turned those off after trying them a bit and finding I didn't care for them.

I can't really tell any difference in the screens except where images are concerned but I haven't read anything with a map since I got the Voyage. I have tried it with a graphic novel and it's better than the Paperwhite for that because of the screen but still not as good as my 8.9" Fire HD. Comics are just better on a larger screen, I think. I don't read that many. I just wanted to try one out.

Honestly I don't care a lot which one I read with. I do prefer the way the Voyage feels in my hand and that's why I'm glad I got it. I like it but if I'd had a chance to try it before I bought it I'm not sure what I'd have done. That's not a good enough reason to return it so I'm keeping it.

As for 3G, I like to look up things on Wikipedia as I'm reading and also to translate foreign phrases so I find it useful. It's nothing like essential. It's just a preference and I'm glad I got it.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:46 PM   #18
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
Maybe implicit in your saying you would convert to mobi in Calibre, but the sideloaded file for your Voyage from a non-Amazon source needs to be DRM-free.
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:19 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerinnyc View Post
Maybe implicit in your saying you would convert to mobi in Calibre, but the sideloaded file for your Voyage from a non-Amazon source needs to be DRM-free.
I don't believe there are any bookstores other than Amazon who still sell Mobi books with encryption-based DRM. Mobipocket's DRM servers shut down many years ago.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote