Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 09-24-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
JBL at Amazon

The JBL is on sale through Amazon again for $99 (plus shipping). Of course, they put it on sale AFTER I bought one for $120 (mutter, mutter, mumble, mumble, grumble, grumble, grrrr).
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:05 AM   #2
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
NewEgg sell Red color JBL for $99.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16858723014
No sale tax if you are not in CA, TN or NJ.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 11:14 AM   #3
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
NewEgg sell Red color JBL for $99.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16858723014
No sale tax if you are not in CA, TN or NJ.
I know but that color is uuuuuuuugly.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
The JBL is on sale through Amazon again for $99 (plus shipping). Of course, they put it on sale AFTER I bought one for $120 (mutter, mutter, mumble, mumble, grumble, grumble, grrrr).
I was amused that Amazon was selling it..
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHARKAVY View Post
It does raise the question; If Amazon is OK with the sale of other reading
devices, might they be considering dropping the protection of Kindle sales
inherent in their only providing eBooks only in their proprietary format?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 05:06 PM   #6
Ron46
Zealot
Ron46 doesn't litterRon46 doesn't litter

Device: JetbookLite, EB-1150, PalmIIIXE
Ken- You seem more on top of this than most using Calibre and finding ways to purge DRMs, which you cannot detail for legal reasons. But I was wondering if you have found a way to download and convert, in Calibre perhaps, Kindle editions to be read on the Jetbook in some other format. Amazon should have no issue with this as long as the book is paid for.
Ron46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:33 PM   #7
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHARKAVY View Post
Amazon doesn't sell jetBook. Other companies sell it on Amazon Marketplace
Old 09-24-2010, 10:34 PM   #8
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I know but that color is uuuuuuuugly.
Agree. I like black color more.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:04 AM   #9
Number_6
Enthusiast
Number_6 doesn't litterNumber_6 doesn't litter

Device: Barnes and Noble Nook Wi-fi, Ectaco jetBookLite, Nokia N810, Nokia 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron46 View Post
Ken- You seem more on top of this than most using Calibre and finding ways to purge DRMs, which you cannot detail for legal reasons. But I was wondering if you have found a way to download and convert, in Calibre perhaps, Kindle editions to be read on the Jetbook in some other format. Amazon should have no issue with this as long as the book is paid for.
If you're familar with a kind of snake, a Python perhaps and to not swindle something, unswindle if you will, then you might find Google to be your friend.

Number_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:06 AM   #10
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron46 View Post
I agree that they should have no issue after the sale, but their use of DRM
indicates that they certainly are taking issue with our use of the ebooks
they sell.

Their DRM comes in two flavors one is not too hard to defeat and one is a
pain. I don't know what the current situation is, but it used to be that the
majority of books being offered were infected with the form of DRM that you
could remove without a lot of effort. If it looks to be an issue I can usually
find the same book available at B&N.

To some extent I think that Amazon is aware that they are loosing sales to
other retailers who offer ebooks with no DRM or looser DRM and that could
be an additional motivation for their drive to sign exclusive contracts with
authors. I doubt that the authors realize such a move will remove them from
the to be read list of most informed readers who are not captured by Amazon.

Luck;
Ken
Old 09-25-2010, 12:14 AM   #11
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_6 View Post
If you're familar with a kind of snake, a Python perhaps and to not swindle something, unswindle if you will, then you might find Google to be your friend.

Perhaps you could find someone who really liked cabbages to
give you a more detailed explanation.

Luck;
Ken
Old 09-25-2010, 03:49 AM   #12
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
<edit>

Last edited by jblitereader; 03-23-2011 at 02:30 AM.
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:08 AM   #13
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
I like the black myself. Tried the white for a bit, seems to show dirt, fingerprints worse.
My backup JBL is in burgundy, which is not my favorite, but if I get to the point that I need to use it, well its better than not having one at all now isn't it.

BTW Ken, Karma to you sir, you've been doing a great job of being a Jetbook ambassador!
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:34 PM   #14
lmittell
Enthusiast
lmittell began at the beginning.

Device: K2, K3, Jetbook Lite, iPhone4
Ron46--

See the PM I sent you.

Larry
lmittell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:19 PM   #15
Ron46
Zealot
Ron46 doesn't litterRon46 doesn't litter

Device: JetbookLite, EB-1150, PalmIIIXE
Quote:
If it looks to be an issue I can usually
find the same book available at B&N

But check this out. I want to re-read Niel Sheehans- A Bright Shining Lie published in 1989.

Barnes and Noble $28
eReader .com (also B&N) $35
Amazon Kindle $10.31

B&N is charging the hard cover price with very little cost to them. Amazon is charging about what an ebook that is 20 years old is worth.

I have a major issue with B&N that almost amounts to an ETHICAL consideration. Just as I do when they sell soft cover public domain classics and charge $15-$20 for them. Retail prices are supposed to be based on SOME relationship to cost plus a reasonable markup- not just any price they think the market can bear.

I think Amazon got a feeling for this sentiment because they changed their marketing strategy significantly with the new Kindle. They even give you a link to the free books on ManyBooks without trying to get a piece of the action on what is in the public domain. I'm not saying Amazon is a paragon of ethical sensibility- they started out with 2 generations of an overpriced reader and were charging a small fee for public domain stuff, but at least they seem a little more tuned in to what is fair.

I will not deal with B&N, and even if they see the light and start dealing fairly with consumers, it's going to take me a long time to come back around to them.

I bought a Jetbook so I could read literature that Gutenberg's visionary founder considered almost a birthright 30 years ago without paying some capitalist robber baron. But now that I am willing to pay for more current works where there is a living author to compensate, I have an instinct about what is a fair price. And Barnes and Noble is not even close- to the point where when and if they go out of business, I will be in line to dance upon their grave.

Last edited by Ron46; 09-26-2010 at 04:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Ron46 is offline   Reply With Quote