Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 08:22 AM   #1
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Kindle DXG will get same functionality as new Kindle

Guys,

As many of you know, I ordered a Kindle DXG yesterday. Then the new Kindle was released with the new PDF functionality. I have been trying to get a hold of someone at Amazon who could answer the question if the DXG would get the same functionality of the new Kindle via updates. After several tries, I finally got hold of a supervisor. I told her I had just ordered a Kindle DXG and wanted to know if the new PDF features would be added to the DXG. If not I wanted to cancel my order. She put me on hold for 30 minutes until I finanlly got to speak to a gentleman who after putting me on hold for anouther 20 minutes confirmed that yes, the new features will be available for the DXG as well. He did not have an exact time frame for it but he assurred me "the information I just got for you right now has come from ver reliable sources so yes, itis a done deal". The gentleman appeared very honest and even gave me his contact information if I had any more questions and concerns.

I just wanted to give you DX Graphite owners a heads up on this.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:46 AM   #2
Tuba
Enthusiast
Tuba will become famous soon enoughTuba will become famous soon enoughTuba will become famous soon enoughTuba will become famous soon enoughTuba will become famous soon enoughTuba will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Thanks for posting (and doing the phone work).
What exactly is the new PDF functionality?
Tuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 08:51 AM   #3
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Kindle 3 will be have dictionary lookup, highlighting and annotations for PDFs. I'm glad my new DX would get these features, but what I really want is for Kindle to offer table of contents support for PDF. Dare I hope that it's included, but not mentioned?
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:53 AM   #4
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

You're welcome. Some of the specs on the PDF support are vague but I know for fact that features like notes and dictionary are added. Same PDF features as the new Kindle. From the Amazon website

Improved PDF Reader
Now with new dictionary lookup, notes and highlights, and support for password protected PDFs. Easily carry all of your documents on the go.

The addition of these features is not all it is needed for good PDF support but it is a step forward.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:53 AM   #5
sally617
sally617 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx graphite
Hope that it won't be long
sally617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
rclott
rclott began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
I second the need for table of contents. Some of my data "sheets" run hundreds of pages. I need a way to pop around to the different chapters and sub-chapters. On my desktop with Acrobat, the table of contents is visible under the bookmark navigation panel. Hopefull this will be available soon for the Kindle.
rclott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:04 AM   #7
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Wow, thanks for finding that out.

The second I learned about that new functionality for the K2, I didn't doubt for a second that it would be added for the Dx.... I mean the DX touted the use of PDF's due to the larger screen size..

Still, it's nice to know for sure. Being able to make notes/highlights and use the dictionary in PDFS is HUGE! And while I wouldn't need table of contents, I can see while others still require it... still, this update addresses most, if not all issues people had with PDF support on the DX.

I can't wait!

Last edited by Anarel; 07-29-2010 at 10:24 AM. Reason: *spelling
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #8
zetareticuli
Addict

No problem, Anarel. I was also sure those features would port to the DXG. It would not make sense if they wouldn't. I agree the dictionary usage and highlights is a nice addition.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:30 PM   #9
kindlematic
Enthusiast
kindlematic began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
I've just seen that one of the new PDF features is a way to change contrast settings for different documents, as documented at page 90 of the new user manual: http://kindle.s3.amazonaws.com/Kindl...df?tag=kwab-20

Hopefully, that will improve readability for PDF documents in serif font...fingers crossed!

Last edited by kindlematic; 07-29-2010 at 01:38 PM.
kindlematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:48 PM   #10
johndoesecond
Connoisseur
johndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle 4, Kindle PW2
Does anybody know if the now old K2 and the "no G" DX are getting these features as well through firmware update?
johndoesecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:12 PM   #11
zetareticuli
Addict

I would imagine that the old DX will get it too although my question was about the Graphite model. I don't see any logic in not doing it for the previous versions.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:21 PM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Great. I called last night and they couldn't tell me anything. The customer service rep actually commented that the K3 had been announced 2 hours earlier.

Now it would be really great to find out that the DXG has a WiFi capability that they can activate.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:31 PM   #13
zetareticuli
Addict

I heard the Kindle 2 has no WiFi hardware I don't know about the Kindle DX/DXG. Even if they don't it is possible to install a mini card that packs both WiFi and 3G functionality and replace the existing mini card. That is, of course, if you can find a vendor that makes/sells the hardware.

The software aspect is easy. Just compile a version of the Kernel that includes the functionality of the new hardware.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:31 PM   #14
johndoesecond
Connoisseur
johndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle 4, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
I would imagine that the old DX will get it too although my question was about the Graphite model. I don't see any logic in not doing it for the previous versions.
Hm, not so sure.

There might be a logic:

1) economics: they want you to buy the new one

2) hardware/software: old kindles may be different in some respect and have problems running new features (especially native Adobe technology) out of the box

3) economics, again: if point 2) is at least slightly true, Amazon may find it uneconomic to "backport" the new firmware; if it is false, they may still claim it's true and therefore uneconomic or impossible to have new firmware running on old machines; so as to (make you, the customer) fall back to point 1).

I hope they make this firmware upgrade for oldies, but I do think there may be a logic if they don't.

Last edited by johndoesecond; 07-29-2010 at 02:41 PM.
johndoesecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:04 PM   #15
zetareticuli
Addict

I agree there are arguments for and against the firmware being available for the older devices. From a pure customer service and loyalty standpoint, choosing to upgrade these devices would make Amazon look great in the eyes of many people.