Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-11-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
planetrobbie
Connoisseur
planetrobbie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.planetrobbie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.planetrobbie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.planetrobbie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: forgotten a treo 650 for a DR1000 and now for a nook -size does matter
pdf & nook

Hi All,

I would like to share that nook and pdf are a major drawback, if you expect you'll be able to read most of the pdf, beware, most of them will be too small no matter the font size. Even if like in this example (Libération / French newspaper) the pdf is not a scanned image.

If you have better luck tell us

planetrobbie
planetrobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
There were a few threads on the pdf support in nook already. From my experience PDF is reflowed and displayed very well.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2010, 12:16 AM   #3
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Yes, Nook reflows PDF file very well. When reflows, it also retain some format like bold, italic, etc... It also shows photos; though some graphic, e.g. arrows, are missing. I would consider Nook reflow very good.

I found some PDF reflow feature in some software just reflows to plain text, no format, no photos.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
planetrobbie
Connoisseur
planetrobbie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.planetrobbie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.planetrobbie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.planetrobbie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

thanks

For sure it can be great, it seems my document for an unknown reason is not reflowlable
Old 01-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
So far as I can tell, the reflow capabilities of mobile Adobe Digital Editions has not changed over recent releases, so all devices from the PRS-505 to the Nook do reflow the same way. Reflow is on a page by page basis, so sometimes it is just one or a few pages that don't reflow.

One alternative is an off-line PDF to reflowable format conversion. The PDF has to be DRM-free first, but then Calibre is the obvious first choice to try.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
planetrobbie
Connoisseur

Tried Calibre but DRM stopped it thanks for your help.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #7
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Have you tried the Medium font size? Nook will reflow when you set to this size up.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetrobbie View Post
Tried Calibre but DRM stopped it
See Adobe ADEPT DRM for PDF circumvented. The blog from i♥cabbages isn't linked, but is relatively easy to find.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #9
planetrobbie
Connoisseur

still working on it ...

I now tried all font size, it stays small all time. It's maybe not nook fault in the end.

I'll investigate further thanks wallcraft and bthoven for your ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
See Adobe ADEPT DRM for PDF circumvented. The blog from i♥cabbages isn't linked, but is relatively easy to find.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
planetrobbie
Connoisseur

still no luck

I was almost there but my linux machine doesn't have windll in its cypes python. It's only exported on windows. I'll have to wake up a really old VMWare image just to process the pdf to reflow it to read my newspaper which will get older by then.

Too funny to be true ;-) I've put my finger in that thing so let's continue the journey !

You'll hear from me I hope.

planetrobbie
Old 01-13-2010, 12:46 PM   #11
planetrobbie
Connoisseur

that's it I have it running and working. But not for the document I received for my tests.

I haven't brought it, it was sent by the publisher for testing on the nook, so I wonder if I can decrypt it. The key I get from the script isn't attached with the ADE local installation and then it's useless if I try to use it on another document. Am I correct ? thanks.

After further investigation the document seems encrypted I've now decripted it and converted to epub, I'll see it on the nook tonight and I'll let you know.

Last edited by planetrobbie; 01-13-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:33 PM   #12
planetrobbie
Connoisseur

Converting to epub doesn't help neither due to the multicolumn format of the newspaper. Font is now big enough but all sentences are split between screens.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:47 AM   #13
LessPaul
Connoisseur
LessPaul doesn't litterLessPaul doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021 / PC / iPad
An application such as Aabby PDF converter can covert a graphic PDF (one that is basically a photograph of a page) to reflowable text. I just got done doing exactly that.

I happen to love the way the Nook manages PDFs which are mainly text. As far as PDFs with many images, it is workable, but not wonderful - but is also as good as I've seen on a small screen. That is where the big format Kindle shines, as it does not have to resize or manipulate the content.
LessPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:24 PM   #14
planetrobbie
Connoisseur

feature needed

I'm really unlucky up to now, almost all the pdf tried on the nook reflows badly. I would really like to be able to rotate the screen and suppress margin but currently that's not usable as it is for me

The docs aren't scanned images, for exemple I tried today the Semantic MediaWiki documentation here, it reflows some page in medium font size but not all of them. It seems the pdf reader embedded needs a lot of improvement, let's wait the next firmware then ...
Old 01-21-2010, 12:05 PM   #15
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I'm having issues with my pdf, if I look at it really small the pages look perfect but I need a magnifying glass to read them. If I make the font larger, it retains the original pdf formatting, putting line-breaks in the middle of the line and page breaks at random places in the page. The larger the page size on the pdf, the worse this is.

So I tried converting it to epub using Calibre. Now, granted, I just hit the "convert" button on Calibre without messing with the settings or reading the directions. But as far as I can tell, the epub was not even *openable* on my nook and now the pdf is showing each page *twice* in succession--first medium and then small, neither being particularly readable.

What did I do wrong?
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote