Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 10-26-2009, 12:18 AM   #1
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Page numbering and counting

Hi,

Since flashing to the rc-3 firmware onto my BeBook I've noticed the page numbering doesn't work properly. Here's the things I've noticed.

1: The total number of pages doesn't seem right. For example a 491 page mmpb shows up as 265 pages on my BeBook. In the past every ebook I have read has had more "pages" than the pbook version.
2: The total number of pages doesn't change regardless of font size.
3: The page number doesn't always advance when I turn the page. In fact it almost always takes two page turns before the page number advances, however sometimes it will change after just one page turn.

These problems happen in both epub and fb2 formats.

Has anyone else experienced these problems?

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 10-26-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
idle
I Do Like Ebooks
idle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook Ultra 650
Hello,
I have of course experienced this, but I wouldn't call that a problem.
There is no specific number of pages for a book. The number of page turns changes when you change the font size. If you changed that numbering every time you adjust your font size in your book, it would be difficult to keep track of bookmarks - page 200 of 350 is totally different from page 200 of 450, for example.
So, the pages are numbered according to some standard pages instead. This way, you always know how far you're in your book.
Does it make sense to you?
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 05:14 PM   #3
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I get what you are saying.

However, I don't use bookmarks so that is not an issue to me personally.

Also, I find it difficult to get an idea of how far through a book I am because there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to how many page turns it takes before the displayed page number advances. Sometimes it will say I am on the same page even though I have turned the page 2 or 3 times while other times it only takes 1 page turn and the displayed page number changes.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 10-27-2009, 08:06 AM   #4
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
I get what you are saying.

However, I don't use bookmarks so that is not an issue to me personally.

Also, I find it difficult to get an idea of how far through a book I am because there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to how many page turns it takes before the displayed page number advances. Sometimes it will say I am on the same page even though I have turned the page 2 or 3 times while other times it only takes 1 page turn and the displayed page number changes.

Cheers,
PKFFW

Wallcraft said in post #13 in this old thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20490
Quote:
This is probably a "feature", rather than a bug. The page number in FBReader is based on a fixed number of bytes per page, not on how much text is currently displayed per screen. So it is possible for the page number to jump by 2 (or not change at all) after a page turn.

The advantage of this is that the page number is independent of the font size (and the device). The disadvantage is that it isn't very similar to how we expect page numbers to behave.
So, there is a "rhyme" and a "reason".
Personally, I like this way much better than having the page numbering change on different reading devices and font sizes.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
PKFFW
Wizard

Ok, so long as it isn't a bug I can live with it.

In future I will probably just look at the indicator bar to get a rough idea how far through the book I am rather the page number/number of pages indicator.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Advert
Old 10-31-2009, 06:34 AM   #6
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
In future I will probably just look at the indicator bar to get a rough idea how far through the book I am rather the page number/number of pages indicator.
For me it was an immediate benefit to have fixed page size: I know how much I can read for a given period of time, and I can estimate book size (and time needed to read it) not by it thickness (which is zero , but by the indicator.