Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-30-2009, 02:15 PM   #1
Juliana
Juliana began at the beginning.

Device: none
Please, i need some help with my Kindle 2

Hello everyone,
I'm from Brazil and i just bought a Kindle 2.
I loveto ready pocket books but it isn't easy to find a good amount of them here in my country. So, i decided to buy one e-reader.
I was so happy when it did arrive... but as soon as i entered amazon's store i saw that i couldn't use my internation credit card to buy any kindle book.
I don't know what to do...
So, i would like to ask you if is there any other store where i could buy ebooks to read using the kindle 2.
Please, please...
Thank you everyone.

Juliana Tristine
Juliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
This should help...

http://www.nerdgirl.com/2009/03/20/a...utside-the-us/
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Hi Juliana,

The advice in the article that Brian mentioned is essentially correct, and it will allow you to purchase books from the Kindle store. But a couple of points ....

In step 3, where it tells you to buy yourself a gift certificate, you must use a different Amazon account to do that, with a different credit card (one with a genuine address, which can be in Brazil). If you try to use use your "Pizza Hut" address, your bank will reject it and Amazon will freeze the payment method.

Also, you will need to register the Kindle. You can do that on the Manage My Kindle web page, but not if it is already registered to someone else. Now, when a person in the US orders a Kindle, Amazon registers it to that person by default (this is mentioned in the email confirming the order, but many people overlook it). If you had a friend or relative in the US buy the Kindle for you, then it will be registered in that person's name.

To deal with that, you must get the person who bought it to de-register it before you can register it. They can't do that via Whispernet (because they no longer have the reader), so they must do it on the Manage My Kindle Page. It's quite straightforward; you just have to know to do it.

Finally, don't forget that you are not obliged to buy your books from Amazon. You can read public-domain books in Mobi format (available from FeedBooks and elsewhere), or any books downloaded from Project Guthenberg and other sites.

A lot of us here have been through the hassle of getting their Kindle to work outside the US. Once you've done it, you can look forward to a lot of easy and pleasurable reading.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote