Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 06-20-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
steve g
steve g began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
introduction

I may have mis used the thread, if so forgive an oldbi. My kids purchased a Sony 505 for me for d-day so this is my first shot into e-books. my interest is general fiction and I have been totally let down by the cost of e-books. something is very wrong with the business model. The author must be compensated but $12 is not going to the author. there is no way that the cost of distribution is anywhere near that. if anyone has a different view I welcome it, maybe I'm missing something.
Steve
steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Steve

Your concern is an old one here. We all feel about the same.

The Kindle would have been a better choice if you intend to buy all your books..........that being said, check out your local library, because the Sony is great for downloading library ebooks.

Be sure and check out all the great freebies here, formatted by our own members, and don't hesitate to ask questions.

You'll find lots of friendly people.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Welcome steve, hope you enjoy your e-reader.

Why not have a look at the free books here on mobileread - there's so many, I'm sure you'll find something you like and they're all free, so nothing to lose by just trying some
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Steve and welcome to MobileRead. You'll find most of us in violent agreement with over the price of eBooks. It's like cinemas adding the 'convenience' charge to tickets you buy on the internet. IOW, they are charging you for saving them money.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:12 PM   #5
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Hi Steve G, and welcome to Mobile Read!

I'm sure you'll find great comfort in discovering all the free books available for your Sony here!

Enjoy your new device - your kids gave you a really nice new toy!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2009, 08:42 PM   #6
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Hello Steve and welcome to MobileRead. There have been any number of discussions about the price of electronic books. Most of us feel that they certainly should not cost more than paperbacks, and -- given the perception that it costs less to maintain servers than it does to use paper, ink, and trucks to deliver the books -- the "fair" price point is probably a bit lower.

Some authors have voiced similar opinions, and have even gone so far as to sell electronic versions of books from their own servers.

With that said, there are thousands of books formatted for the Sony reader which you can download for free from this site and others. Our June 2009 Reading Group is reading and discussing King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard. It's the first book in the first volume of H. Rider Haggard's works. You can download it as BBeB/lrf or ePub format.

Also, if you like Science Fiction and Fantasy, you can start with the Baen Free Library and continue with Webscription.net where the SF/F books are DRM-free and usually no more than $6.00 apiece. Fictionwise.com offers numerous books as "Multi-format", DRM-free editions. Many of these are much more reasonably priced than the current releases you find in the Sony store.

And, of course, keep your eyes open for the numerous freebies that the publishers and retailers offer from time to time. Of the 158 books I have "purchased" from Amazon.com for my Kindle, 82 of them were free. That significantly reduces the average price I've paid for electronic books.

So, yes, it's terribly frustrating when you find that The Last Child by John Hart is selling for $11.99 in the Sony store, but you can console yourself that it's significantly less expensive than the hardback list price of $24.95 or even the discounted hardback price of $16.47.

Welcome to MobileRead. You'll find a large group of sympathetic folks here.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:04 PM   #7
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Welcome, Steve! I hope you enjoy your Sony as much as I enjoy mine. I have been able to find all the books I could ever want for free, either here in MR, or in several other sites around the Internet. I hope that you are aware of the free software "Calibre" written by one of our members. It will enable you to quickly and easily convert e-books from one format to another, giving you access to many more free e-books.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:05 PM   #8
sdmama
Enthusiast
sdmama doesn't littersdmama doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader 505 and 700 and Kindle 2
Welcome Steve. There are lots of free ebooks available. I've only purchased two $12 books and I haven't actually gotten around to reading them yet. As a avid reader, I had fallen into a rut in terms of my favorite authors. I have come across some real gems and have found some new authors that I am really enjoying.

The best part of a free ebook as some of the others have pointed out is that you have nothing to lose!

Those are some really nice kids you have there!
sdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:49 PM   #9
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead! As others have posted, the cost of ebooks is a BIG discussion topic here. Many of us are just as frustrated as you are.

Don't let the cost of ebooks get in the way of enjoying your reader, though. There are many resources for free ebooks and if you have any questions about downloading them, this is the place to find answers.

Enjoy!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:20 AM   #10
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Congrats on getting a wonderful gift! I got a sony 505 for my birthday this past November. It was a wonderful gift! I'm sure you'll enjoy yours as well.

I'm a total cheapskate. I download books from this site, from feedbooks.com, and, mostly, from my local library. Check out this site to do a search on your library to see if you have ebooks available: http://search.overdrive.com/

There is also a link to digital library collections and information about obtaining cards in the 500/505 forum.

welcome to the forum!

Last edited by GraceKrispy; 06-21-2009 at 06:39 AM. Reason: went and found the link for you!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:02 AM   #11
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Hi Steve and welcome to Mobilread, where you can ask and get answers to all your questions on ebooks and readers.

It's all been said by others above, but I'm an oldie and also like to read general fiction, there are plenty of sources for both free and reasonably priced ebooks. I've a "to read" list of 80 books most of which were free. The ones I paid for averaged $6/7. Just don't expect latest releases to be cheap.

Over the last few months I have had some great reads have a look at http://www.boydmorrison.com/ who is offering three excellent books for free.

You could also check out Penal colony and Refuge, both by Richard Herley at http://www.richardherley.com/bookspage.html

And Hal Spacejock book 1 free download at http://www.spacejock.com.au/ an absolutely hilarious series

All the above authors are Mobileread members.

You don't say where you are, but if in the US there are a number of free books on the Sony store.

Also there are some absolute gems in the 10,000+ Mobileread public domain free downloads.

Last edited by columbus; 06-21-2009 at 10:47 AM. Reason: extra links
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote