Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-28-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
Which one should I keep?

I seem to have found myself in a bit of a bind. I originally bought my Kindle 2 thinking it was the perfect e-reader for me, but it has a few shortcomings. So when I was at Sam's Club, I also picked up the Sony PRS-505. Now I have two readers and feel like I have to give one back but I'm not sure which one. There are different things I like about both.

I like how the Sony PRS-505 has much better support for graphic novels (this was my gripe with the Kindle). I like how I can get books from my library and put them on my Sony (can't do that with the Kindle). I like how smaller the Sony is, and how I have tons of Sony USB cables all over the place from various devices so I can have a cable at work, at home, etc. I like the SD card slot that's expandable. I like how the Sony seems a little bit more customizable than the Kindle, especially with all the hacks. But the Sony does seem slow to catalog things, especially when I unplug it from the computer or stick an SD card in.

But I like a lot about the Kindle, too. I like how it can highlight, text search, and has a dictionary (none of which the Sony can do - all though I guess these are nice to have features). I really REALLY like the buttons of the Kindle better than the Sony (not sure why). I like the speed of the Kindle and after reading on it for a couple weeks, the sony seems slower to turn pages. I also like how basically every book I want is always cheaper on the Kindle than the Sony counterpart (even though I don't know if I will be buying books that much).

I thought I would care more about the wireless feature of the Kindle, but since I plan to get an iPhone when they release the new ones, the "internet always" feature isn't as appealing to me. I don't like how the Kindle doesn't have an SD slot and I feel that since Amazon charges per megabyte for sending converted files, I'm tethered to my one USB cord that I have to carry back and forth to transfer data.

So I'm stuck because both readers have features I like and I can't choose between the two. My 30 days with the Kindle is almost up, and I'm tempted to return the Kindle and keep the Sony for now. Since I bought the Sony from Sam's Club, they have a 6-month return policy, and this would give me more time to figure out my e-reader situation and scope out new products coming along for the holidays.

I also toyed with the idea of getting a Kindle 1, since it seemed to have the best of both world's - Kindle features, SD slot, and cheaper.. but I heard bad things about the next-page buttons and I really like the buttons on the Kindle.

Any thoughts of which one I should keep? Or should I chuck them both and get a Kindle 1? Thank you for all your help in advance!
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
If you can afford it, keep them both!!!

They each have their merits, as you've found.

I understand the Sony is better for library ebook checkouts, since they seem to be going EPub now.

enjoy your treasures!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
If you can afford it, keep them both!!!

They each have their merits, as you've found.

I understand the Sony is better for library ebook checkouts, since they seem to be going EPub now.

enjoy your treasures!
I actually thought about keeping both but my boyfriend doesn't think that's such a good idea. He thinks I should pick one.

He said, "Would you pay over $500 for just one e-reader?" which does sound like a lot.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:53 PM   #4
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
I think you can just pick one where you can read most the books you wanted and most convenient for you if you cant keep the two as there are some books limited to Kindle only and same with Sony. Try to weigh and look again the pros and cons and make your choice from there.
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:57 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkyfork View Post
I actually thought about keeping both but my boyfriend doesn't think that's such a good idea. He thinks I should pick one.

He said, "Would you pay over $500 for just one e-reader?" which does sound like a lot.
Is this yours or your boyfriends purchase? Will he be reading on them?

You aren't picking just one e-book reader. You, right now, have the best of both worlds.

Again......if its a matter of can't afford both.......choose one. If you can afford both......keep 'em.

The Kindles books will be way cheaper. The Sony has better library access.

There are other differences, but if you must choose one, choose the one you enjoy using the most.

Don't forget......you have 30 days to return the Kindle, no questions asked.
Advert
Old 05-28-2009, 10:01 PM   #6
forkyfork
Zealot

Quote:
Is this yours or your boyfriends purchase? Will he be reading on them?

You aren't picking just one e-book reader. You, right now, have the best of both worlds.

Again......if its a matter of can't afford both.......choose one. If you can afford both......keep 'em.

The Kindles books will be way cheaper. The Sony has better library access.

There are other differences, but if you must choose one, choose the one you enjoy using the most.

Don't forget......you have 30 days to return the Kindle, no questions asked.
It's my purchase, and he actually prefers to read books on a tablet PC. I can't do that because it hurts my eyes.

I feel like I should choose one. It would be easier if I could convince him to buy one too because then I could justify both. But it doesn't really make sense for me.

And I know all about the 30 days. The problem is, I am nearing the end
Old 05-28-2009, 10:35 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
It's my purchase, and he actually prefers to read books on a tablet PC. I can't do that because it hurts my eyes.

I feel like I should choose one. It would be easier if I could convince him to buy one too because then I could justify both. But it doesn't really make sense for me.

And I know all about the 30 days. The problem is, I am nearing the end

Well, you could return the K2 and when you get the new iPhone, install the Kindle for iPhone app and keep buying Kindle books. If in 6 months you miss the K2, return the Sony and buy another Kindle (either 1 or 2).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:37 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Well, you could return the K2 and when you get the new iPhone, install the Kindle for iPhone app and keep buying Kindle books. If in 6 months you miss the K2, return the Sony and buy another Kindle (either 1 or 2).
can she return the Sony after 6 months?
Old 05-28-2009, 10:42 PM   #9
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I own both a Kindle (1) and a Sony PRS 505 and I don't want to give up either one of them. I prefer holding the Kindle and I like its page-turn buttons better. (I'm one of the people who didn't complain about the buttons on the K1.) I like that newly released books are much cheaper at the Amazon store. I love the ability to highlight passages and create short notes. But, the Sony can handle PDFs, ePub, and library books. And, my dear hubby bought me the lighted cover for my Sony which makes it my first choice for reading in the car at night.

Nope -- I don't want to give one up. So I won't.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:02 PM   #10
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
send them both back and get an EZ Reader - but don't lose it like I did.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:20 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
can she return the Sony after 6 months?
Apparently so.

Quote:
Since I bought the Sony from Sam's Club, they have a 6-month return policy, and this would give me more time to figure out my e-reader situation and scope out new products coming along for the holidays.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:24 PM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Apparently so.

Der!
Old 05-29-2009, 09:34 AM   #13
forkyfork
Zealot

Yes, Sam's Club has a very lenient return policy. I did the same thing when I purchased an ipod touch and decided I would rather get an iphone instead. I got to use it for a few months and then return it. As long as you have the receipt and all the pieces, Sam's Club is very good about it.

They normally give you longer than 6 months, but since the Sony is considered a computer you only get 6 months. You get a year with TV's!
Old 05-29-2009, 12:40 PM   #14
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
How will you feel when a new, improved model comes out? Perhaps with a feature you were wishing for? Or one you hadn't even thought of? Like a whiter background, or an elegant light?
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 05:34 AM   #15
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I own both a Kindle (1) and a Sony PRS 505 and I don't want to give up either one of them. I prefer holding the Kindle and I like its page-turn buttons better. (I'm one of the people who didn't complain about the buttons on the K1.) I like that newly released books are much cheaper at the Amazon store. I love the ability to highlight passages and create short notes. But, the Sony can handle PDFs, ePub, and library books. And, my dear hubby bought me the lighted cover for my Sony which makes it my first choice for reading in the car at night.

Nope -- I don't want to give one up. So I won't.
Same here Elsie and as you know I had a Kindle 1 until the Kindle 2 came out. I sold the K1 to get the K2. Now I have my PRS-505 and Kindle 2 and would not give either one of them up. I check out a lot of books from the Brooklyn library with my PRS-505 and I buy a lot of books from Amazon for my Kindle and PRS-505 (mobidedrm )!

forkyfork, I see your dilema; that's a lot of money to shell out at once. I owned the PRS-505 11 months before buying the K1 (I decided to get the PRS-505 instead the K1 after reading and asking a lot of questions from this board). Because I narrowed it down to those 2 readers, even after I chose the PRS-505, I still liked a lot of the Kindle functionalities and when I was able to afford a 2nd reader, I bought the K1. So keep the one that makes the most sense for now and add the other one at a later date.

Last edited by Lilly; 05-30-2009 at 05:43 AM.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote