Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 04-28-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
Striking Claw
Enthusiast
Striking Claw doesn't litterStriking Claw doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3, ILiad, HP hx4700
Special USB/charging cable for CyBook?

I have several devices apart from my CyBook which are charged using a USB/Cable. I noticed that I can use different chargers but I always have to use the USB cable provided by Bookeen. If I try any other USB cable the CyBook won't charge. I thought those USB cables are normed so I should be able to use any USB cable to charge a CyBook. Does anybody know what's so special about the Bookeen USB cable?
Striking Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:59 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The plastic housing of the end that plugs into the Cybook needs to be smaller than usual.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There's nothing special about it - I have a number of mini-USB cables and they all work fine with the Gen3.

However, some - especially older - mini-USB cables have a wide "surround" which prevents them for plugging into the Gen3 far enough to make a proper contact. That's probably your problem.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:28 PM   #4
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Nothing that a little cutting away with an exacto knife won't solve....
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:33 PM   #5
Striking Claw
Enthusiast

I tried 6 different cables, none of them works. It is indeed a problem of the plastic casing. All of them have a thicker casing on the side which is facing up when plugged into the Cybook. The side facing down is much smaller. Unfortunatly the room for the plug on the Cybook is just the opposite, plenty of space facing down, but a narrow space facing up. So just my bad luck that none of my cables has the right dimensons for the CyBook
Advert
Old 04-28-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striking Claw View Post
I tried 6 different cables, none of them works. It is indeed a problem of the plastic casing. All of them have a thicker casing on the side which is facing up when plugged into the Cybook. The side facing down is much smaller. Unfortunatly the room for the plug on the Cybook is just the opposite, plenty of space facing down, but a narrow space facing up. So just my bad luck that none of my cables has the right dimensons for the CyBook
Didn't it come with a cable?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:23 PM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's nothing special about it - I have a number of mini-USB cables and they all work fine with the Gen3.

However, some - especially older - mini-USB cables have a wide "surround" which prevents them for plugging into the Gen3 far enough to make a proper contact. That's probably your problem.
A litte misleading. None of the cables I had at home fitted. And they were not older. When trying to buy a cable I had to look in a lot of shops and really choose a cable that was thinner. I am really surprised tha ALL your cables fit. Are you sure, have you tested them? Or is ALL one cable?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:36 PM   #8
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
Hmmm.....I don't know. I can echo Harry's experience as well. All my mini-USB cables fit the Cybook.......

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:41 PM   #9
Striking Claw
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Didn't it come with a cable?

Dale
It did come with a cable. It's just that a have a charger for my blackberry at the office and other USB cables for an external harddisk. So it would be nice if I could use any USB cable to charge my CyBook. Currently the one provided with my Cybook is the only one acctualy working. Of course with a little creative carving I could make my other cables wok to.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:09 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
A litte misleading. None of the cables I had at home fitted. And they were not older. When trying to buy a cable I had to look in a lot of shops and really choose a cable that was thinner. I am really surprised tha ALL your cables fit. Are you sure, have you tested them? Or is ALL one cable?
No, Tommy, it is not "misleading". I have three mini-USB cables (supplied respectively with my Gen3, my Windows Mobile Smartphone, and a camera). All 3 three of them work just fine with my Gen3.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:23 AM   #11
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
A litte misleading. None of the cables I had at home fitted. And they were not older.
It is not misleading. I have about a dozen cables here from various appliances. About halve of them are thick and have of them are slim. All slim cables function fine with the cybook.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:49 AM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
It is not misleading. I have about a dozen cables here from various appliances. About halve of them are thick and have of them are slim. All slim cables function fine with the cybook.
I must for some reason only buy gadgets with thick cables then... Ans when I looked in shops not all shops had the slim variant.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:40 AM   #13
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
I concur, almost any cable will do, one must just carve a little on some, as they are thicker the plug-in place in the Cybook, once that is done that and it will work without a problem.

I have made this procedure to my HTC 3600 pocketpc charger and it works perfectly.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote