Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 11-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
Colinus
Colinus began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
use parts of calibre

It is my first question in this forum. I have tried already to understand the parts of code of calibre. I am afraid without help I will not come further.

I have following idea. On a low resource system (OpenWrt - operating system) I would need just a small part of the calibre. Just one command called by Cronjob:

ebook-convert /opt/calibre/resources/recipes/foo.recipe bar.mobi

(You can than mail the output file using an external program.)

The advantage would be an access to the thousands of existing recipes (no need to reinvent the wheel). And of course the ebook-reader friendly output format.
The setup of the whole calibre would be difficult because of the lack of resources and unresolved dependencies.

How can I extract the right files from the source? Which files do I need?
How shall I put them on the right place?
Do I need a wrapper for the cli.py?
Which dependencies will have this part of calibre?
Is any further procedure needed (like install script from the calibre)?

My question goes in the direction of the http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html#id65 but afaik I know no binaries exist for the target platform.

Thanks in advance
Colinus
Colinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
james_
Connoisseur
james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3,Oasis, YotaPhone 2, Boox Note2, Mi Pad 4+, Kobo Mini & Forma
download only

Hi colinus

I'm also a newbie and looking to do the same sort of thing. As I understand it, each recipe is a piece of python script so what you need to focus on is getting python on your platform and then you'll be able to steal recipes to run your downloads.

Now your particular OS is an embedded Linux aimed at wireless routers? and you're trying to run the downloads on a router? That might be a bit ambitious as you'll likely run out of resources when processing even a modest web site to extract the data you want.

Obviously if anyone can point me at a thread with some more info on this I'd much appreciate it to save headaches as I want to run this on my NAS which conveniently has Python 2.7 installed... but I much prefer to run the full featured Calibre as a Windows client on my PCs to manage my library (which resides on the NAS without any issues)

cheers!
james_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
jer989
Enthusiast
jer989 doesn't litterjer989 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HD
I'm also hoping to find out whether or not it's possible to get calibre server to run on OpenWRT. I just recently through together a Piratebox router/AP (http://daviddarts.com/piratebox-diy-openwrt/) and did try to use the command line install of calibre on OpenWRT just to see if I could even get it to DL and install, but I had a problem getting calibre to even DL (ran out of RAM - probably need to mount the USB drive and point my temp directory to that to DL the entire calibre package).

Anyhow- I don't even know if it's possible to run it on OpenWRT - but if it was - that would be great to be able to just run the calibre content server off off a mini router and USB flash drive! (I've used a TP-link WR703N and been impressed so far with it, considering it costs $23 USD and only draws about .5 W!)

thanks for any advice!
jer989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:07 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Moderator Notice
Moved to the Related Tools sub-forum.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote