Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Overdrive new selection going downhill

Has anyone else noticed that the selection of new eBooks via Overdrive from the library has been going downhill fast?

I'm seeing desperate purchases like Feng Sui for your Workplace for Dummies type of garbage. How to this that and the other thing that are worthless. It's a sad affair. How Overdrive can raise rates when the selection is getting worse is beyond reason.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
While I agree that there's little new that interests me at Overdrive - we got nearly 1000 new titles yesterday, of which I got out two (2) - this characterization of "garbage" regarding things you don't like is rather over-the-top.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Has anyone else noticed that the selection of new eBooks via Overdrive from the library has been going downhill fast?

I'm seeing desperate purchases like Feng Sui for your Workplace for Dummies type of garbage. How to this that and the other thing that are worthless. It's a sad affair. How Overdrive can raise rates when the selection is getting worse is beyond reason.
Well since four of the six major publishers aren't providing any new books what should we expect?
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I donate money to my library, along with a "wish list" of books. I suspect others may do the same, so it's possible that people are simply asking for things that other people don't want/care about.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Well, you know the books are not that interesting when you have other books not available and these self-help type books are still available.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2012, 01:48 AM   #6
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfry View Post
Well since four of the six major publishers aren't providing any new books what should we expect?
Is it up to 4 now? I thought it was only 2 (Harper Collins and Simon & Schuster). Sigh
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:53 AM   #7
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
My Feng Shui book is finally in!
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:22 AM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
When I go looking on my library sites' selection, I don't have anything in particular in mind. I'll usually check some out on a whim or if one has some good reviews. I've found a few good books I probably wouldn't have found otherwise that way.

But, I do see that there's a lack of "big" published books being tossed into Overdrive.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:05 AM   #9
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
At at least 2 of the Overdrive libraries I belong to, the librarians seem to buy at least some of the books to suit "the season". In January I wouldn't be surprised to see a preponderance of diet and self-help books.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #10
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Our library does seem to have gone to a higher percentage of children's and YA literature, I assumed that was primarily demand though. Otherwise, we do get a bunch of books that I've never heard of from smaller publishers and many Harlequins which I'm guessing thrill some and anger others. It's the typical "You don't have the specific book I want to read so you don't have anything" kind of mindset.

I have tried a few smaller publisher action/thriller type books from Overdrive lately that I'm guessing would have never made the catalog if the big names would sell their ebooks to libraries. It's been hit or miss in enjoyment but that's pretty much the same with any author or publisher.

I think this is how it is the last I heard, could be wrong

Penguin - doesn't offer front list titles
MacMillan - no books at all
S&S - no books at all
Harper Collins -26 check-out limit. Our library is avoiding them unless there are requests for a specific title.

The big discussions at my library don't seem to be title availability but trying to do more with the stagnant funding levels. Print book demand isn't decreasing with the exploding eBook demand. In fact, it also was up a little over the past year.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #11
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
My library has set aside a rather significant ebook budget for this fiscal year, and now with the big publishers (pretty much) refusing to offer anything remotely popular, they're scrambling to fill those purchase slots, leaning towards kids' books and cozy mystery series.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #12
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I check the new ebook selection every week at the Chicago Public library, and end up putting a half-dozen or so on my wishlist. While I probably won't find a particular title I might be interested in, I can always find books I am interested in reading.

Right now there are 154 ebooks on my Chicago Public library wishlist.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Our library keeps adding a great selection of books.

IIRC libraries that allow out of area access, like the Free Library of Philadelphia, have the selection of books they can buy being limited now due to new publisher restrictions as opposed to libraries that only allow access to patrons in their actual coverage area.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
Is it up to 4 now? I thought it was only 2 (Harper Collins and Simon & Schuster). Sigh
  • Macmillan and Simon & Schuster don't allow any ebook lending
  • Hatchette and Penguin don't allow frontlist ebook lending
  • Random House is clamping down on reciprocal libraries
  • HarperCollins has a 26x ebook loan limit
The Big 6 are cutting their own throats. If they keep it up, libraries will turn more and more to indies; and those authors are just as good as the majors.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 01-17-2012 at 01:40 AM. Reason: typo
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #15
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I have not really notice much change with my local library system's ebook purchases. Then it was always very limited; few titles added each month and those heavily favoring the self-help/travel guide non-fiction, fiction mass production romance novels, and young adult/teen/children titles. Thankfully the whoever makes the choices seems to finally stopped with the vampire novels. Or maybe just run out of them?

I have noticed a reduction of good titles appearing at the Philadelphia Free Library. This is bad as that was my primary source. Though unless I am hoping to get a particular ebook as a temporary loan it is not something I need get that excited about.