Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-09-2007, 04:51 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Sony plans UK e-reader launch at London BookFair 2008

Quote:
Sony is expected to launch its e-book reader in the UK at the 2008 London Book Fair, fuelling speculation that Amazon will try and pip it to the post by rush-releasing its own rival device, the "Kindle".

According to publisher sources, Sony is in talks with Waterstone's to sell the device.

Sony would not confirm its plans for entering the UK, but publishers point to a launch next April and are already getting excited about the potential of a new e-reader launch to stimulate e-book sales.
http://www.thebookseller.com/news/46...er-launch.html
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:55 PM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
That's glorious, an out of continent distribution, finally!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2007, 05:37 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'll second that!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:21 PM   #4
ricdiogo
Gutenberger
ricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Yesssssssss!!
ricdiogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:30 PM   #5
Cabe
Connoisseur
Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone
2008? I want it NOW dammit!
Cabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2007, 06:30 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not to be a wet blanket or anything, but I did note this bit (emphasis added):
Quote:
Tech website Engadget is suggesting that Amazon will launch its Kindle device just after Frankfurt on 15th October—and has reported that it is already selling Kindle versions of books on its website.
That last bit is something of an overstatement, both of what Engadget actually reported, and the reality (for those late to the party: the kindle edition books were listed but then pulled when we noticed them and were never yet for sale in the first place) -- I hope that the rest of it isn't an ... overstatement of some similar rumor or inference, but it's not the best sign.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:26 AM   #7
pkgreader
pkgreader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader
Do you think they'll let us onto eConnect store then? Or do you reckon it will be only US and UK residents??

I hate that something fierce. I don't know how to get stuff onto my eReader!!!
pkgreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 04:05 AM   #8
John H
John H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Aura HD
More decisions to make...

Great news,
I almost decided to go for Bookeen due to presence in Europe but this means that I'll have to wait and see. If Sony gives possibility to non-UK people to buy books, we have a clear winner.

Waiting, waiting, waiting...

/John
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 04:37 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hi John,

What makes you say that the Sony would be a clear winner over the CyBook? There are hugely more books available in MobiPocket format than in Sony format, and no problems with buying them from any country in the world.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:35 AM   #10
John H
John H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Aura HD
Well, I tried to take into account technical side, Sony is good at making HW and support is slow but it will eventually solve the problems. You're right that mobipocket is widely spread but I have a number of txt/rtf myself so that's not crucial for me. As somebody mentioned in some other thread, I'm waiting for this since I saw Star Trek as 9 year old and managed to build my SF library in txt/rtf in hope that some day will come to convert library to whatever format it takes. So this is probably correct in my case but not necessarily for others.

I still have one mp3 player from Sony which has served me many years. Software is still horrible, conversion awful and so on. But HW never let me down. This is little bit idea behind the reader as well: I don't expect that reader sw or format support will be as good as we wanted for couple of years to come but hopefully acceptable.

Secondly I have some weird idea/hope that Sony will find other distribution partners, connect shop is incapable of giving the right upswing in book sales.
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:42 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You're right - the Sony Reader is very well built; I've been using mine since last December. I do prefer the MobiPocket format over Sony's LRF format, however, simply because it's supported by so many more devices and retailers. Obviously, though, if using TXT/RTF is your main goal then that's not an issue!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:57 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H View Post
Secondly I have some weird idea/hope that Sony will find other distribution partners, connect shop is incapable of giving the right upswing in book sales.
They've announced a partnership with Borders for that, there's no telling how that will fall out on national boundaries, though.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:02 AM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You're right - the Sony Reader is very well built; I've been using mine since last December. I do prefer the MobiPocket format over Sony's LRF format, however, simply because it's supported by so many more devices and retailers. Obviously, though, if using TXT/RTF is your main goal then that's not an issue!
Would it be feasible, software wise, for Sony to port Mobipocket to their readers?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:31 PM   #14
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I very much hope that Sony will not compute the price the way Booken does.

$300 is not equal 300Eur
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:33 PM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I very much hope that Sony will not compute the price the way Bookeen does.

$300 is not equal 300Eur
Nope

$300 = ₤300
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote