Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
Namtar
Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7, Kobo Touch, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Elonex EB500
Looking to upgrade from mobipocket - need similar funtionality

Hi,

I'm planning to upgrade my reading device soon but can't make up my mind which way to go. I'm currently running an ipaq 112 - 3.5" transflective touchscreen and i'm happy with it but the battery is causing problems.

I use mobipocket primarily and love the functionality to mark up incorrect text and sync back to the PC for later updating the source files - i'm a bit of a perfectionist that way. There are often many issue's with commercial books and even more with those i've scanned and converted myself.

I also love the dictionary look up option - even if i don't use it that often. It's nice to have it when i find an unfamiliar word.

The other problem with Mobipocket these days is availability of books - i used to use fictionwise regularly before the geo restrictions - but format shifting usually works well.

I'm considering mainly the Sony PRS-650 or maybe the Samsung Galaxy Tab.

I've had a quick look at both and the tab has other nice functionality but nothing that is truly a must have - the colour screen is nice though. I've seen the nook color mentioned but i don't know if is is/will be available in the UK - although i'll be in the states lates in the year so maybe...

I don't fancy the Kindle - i personally think it's ugly with that keyboard and i don't like being tied to Amazon.

The Sony seems easy to use but apart of me would prefer colour rather than greyscale - even if it is easier on the eyes. I've had no problems with the colour tft screen i've got though.

Any thoughts. Willing to consider all options. I'd rather look at the options first than rush in to something i'll regret later. It's something i'll be using a lot so need to be happy.

Thanks,
Steve
Namtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Go with Galaxy Tab if you don't want only an ereader but something else. For reading, after two years reading at a Palm E2 with no problem, I can tell you I prefer eInk a lot.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I do have a Kindle 3, Kindle DXG and recently bought a Galaxy Tab. Even though I love all of them, I should not compare the Tab vs Kindle.

Kindle is a dedicated e-reader. It uses eink which gives you weeks without recharging. The Kindle 3 is also light and very portable and the closest thing to a pbook reading experience. You will not be tied to Amazon if you buy a Kindle, that's not correct and a comment that not Kindle users keep repeating. You can buy MOBI from other stores and even convert via Calibre as long as the books are DRM free.

The Galaxy Tab is a tablet, means, has capacitive LCD screen and uses more battery. It is also a full Android system which full Market access, which allows you to use the tablet for much more, like conference, calendar, games and of course, ereading. Is like having a small computer under your arm.

Sony ereaders are also dedicated eink devices for ebooks so besides the ebook format, they act very similar to a Kindle. Their strongest point is the good PDF support and annotations but they are expensive and of course, no color, they are eink devices.

I would say, go for Galaxy Tab if you are looking for color but I prefer eink for reading. My Kindle is my main ereading device.

Last edited by jocampo; 01-28-2011 at 12:52 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Kindle's primary AZW format is MOBI. So you could buy from Amazon today (e.g. for Kindle for PC), strip the DRM and read on your ipaq without conversion. Even if you buy a Sony, it is worth checking out the Kindle store for its selection and price.

For EInk, the Sony PRS-650 and K3 have similar capabilities. I would put the K3 slightly ahead, but the 650 is a good choice.

If you go with the Galaxy Tab there are many ebook apps available, and the DRM-free readers (in particular) seem to be in a virtuous feature race. The Kindle Android app is currently running behind the iThing Kindle apps, but I assume it will soon catch up and support a dictionary and more side-loading options.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:31 PM   #5
Namtar
Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7, Kobo Touch, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Elonex EB500
Thanks for the input folks.

I'm pretty comfortable with the most of the pro's and con's you've mentioned.

I'm also fine with the idea of converting files and even removing DRM from those i've bought.

I guess what i'm really hoping to get is some input on the capabilities i mentioned. My biggest one is the highlighting/markup of documents and syncing back to a pc as is done in mobipocket. Do any of the stand-alone eBook readers offer this funtionality - even if it's one i may not have mentioned. Or do any of the android apps - or even dare i say it ipad apps offer this functionality.

I'm keeping an open mind on devices. Although i think i'd have to get a chance to look at and play with the Kindle before being happy with that one. I know many people are happy with their kindle but it just seems odd to me. Perception i know but...

The point about being tied into Amazon was meant more about their system of holding the files on their server, having the ability to delete books if the choose to pull it for some reason and then needing to somehow download them all, remove DRM and convert if i choose later to move to a new non Amazon device. I'd proably need to make sure to pull then and de-DRM them everytime i bought a book - or when i got home if done via kindle whispernet.

Thanks
Namtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Hi Namtar,

With the Kindle, the system automatically sync annotations and highlight between devices, yes. The only req. is that must be an Amazon book. You can side-load mobi books from other stores, but they don't sync, at least, I don't recall they do (I do have several mobi on my Kindle as well)

Also, you should not have any concern about books being deleted. That is unlikely. The only time that such thing happened was because by mistake, a copyrighted book was being sold or something like that. In order to avoid legal issues, Amazon returned the money and deleted the book. I am not saying that was good or bad, but it was more a technical error when uploading or putting on sale the ebook.

Having said that and regardless of the device, I always, always take a backup of my ebooks; they are in 3 different places and not only on my Kindle or Amazon store.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Sonys do sync, too.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote