Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
lof
lof began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Question Wrapping text around images

It seems the default behaviour when converting a text with images is 'no wrapping' i.e. text starts after the image and there is no paragraph using the space on the left/right.

It would be useful especially when the first letter of a chapter is an image (dropped initial) as in old-times illuminations. Example with the attached edition of "Three Men in a Boat" (CHM).

Isn't there an option so that conversion detects when one image is left/right aligned so the text can be wrapped alongside? I've tried to add "float: left" in css as Kovid mentioned in another similar thread but am not sure if I am doing this properly.

Thank you
Attached Files
File Type: txt chm-conversion-log.txt (10.7 KB, 249 views)
File Type: zip Three Men in a Boat - Jerome K. Jerome.chm.zip (1.20 MB, 244 views)

Last edited by lof; 11-15-2012 at 11:38 AM. Reason: expanding on request
lof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You'd be better off asking this in the ePub forum. This isn't something that Calibre can do for you - you need to learn how to create ebooks the "proper" way.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
lof

Well thx for the answer but my question was about possible converting options (look and feel, heuristics), not about creating an epub altogether. I use Sigil for that, but I would hope that, now or in the foreseeable future, calibre will not request the use of another software (or learning all about epub) to just wrap text alongside images when these are aligned with margins.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by lof View Post
Well thx for the answer but my question was about possible converting options (look and feel, heuristics), not about creating an epub altogether. I use Sigil for that, but I would hope that, now or in the foreseeable future, calibre will not request the use of another software (or learning all about epub) to just wrap text alongside images when these are aligned with margins.
Conversion can't add (something that subtle) that was not there to begin with.
If you convert something with a dropcap, the output will usually have a dropcap, if the format supports.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:26 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, that was the point I was attempting to make. Things like drop caps are a technical feature of the book, and need to be addressed in terms of ebook editing, which is really not what Calibre does.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Conversion can't add (something that subtle) that was not there to begin with.
If you convert something with a dropcap, the output will usually have a dropcap, if the format supports.
I've had a look at the source chm file that the OP posted and the required information is there to begin with: some images are left-justified with text flowing to the right; some are right-justified with text flowing left; some are centred with no text either side.

So it looks like this info is being lost somewhere in the conversion pipeline. I don't know if this is due to technical diffilculties or is just that CHM conversion is still maturing, but it looks as though the OP's request may be possible.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
I've had a look at the source chm file that the OP posted and the required information is there to begin with: some images are left-justified with text flowing to the right; some are right-justified with text flowing left; some are centred with no text either side.

So it looks like this info is being lost somewhere in the conversion pipeline. I don't know if this is due to technical diffilculties or is just that CHM conversion is still maturing, but it looks as though the OP's request may be possible.
Sounds like time for the OP to check the Bug List and file one (attaching the chm file) if there is not one already.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
lof

Wink

OK, thanks everyone for having a look at the issue. I think this is not specific to the chm format here but I can't find another example where conversion to epub rendered text that would float smoothly alongside images.
That is except from conversions from pdfs, but I understand there is not point in bettering pdf guess-work just here.

I'll check the bug list and come back to suggest a new bug definition.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
You don't need to find an example where it works. Your chm shows clearly an example where is doesn't work and this should be sufficient for an enhancement request.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:13 AM   #10
lof

Ok Agama, I will put that in the wishlist.
Thank you.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:09 AM   #11
lof

Quote:
Fixed in branch lp:calibre. The fix will be in the next release. calibre
is usually released every Friday.

status fixreleased

** Changed in: calibre
Thanks Kovid!