Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 10-06-2012, 06:49 AM   #1
A. B. Syed
A. B. Syed has learned how to read e-booksA. B. Syed has learned how to read e-booksA. B. Syed has learned how to read e-booksA. B. Syed has learned how to read e-booksA. B. Syed has learned how to read e-booksA. B. Syed has learned how to read e-booksA. B. Syed has learned how to read e-booksA. B. Syed has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle on ipad
Taxi Harold Short Story FREE weekend

Hello Kindlers!

My short story Taxi Harold is free to download this weekend.

I will be releasing a few short stories which will eventually lead to a compilation.

I hope you love it

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Taxi-Harold-...520060&sr=8-12

A. B. Syed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
gdimike
gdimike doesn't littergdimike doesn't littergdimike doesn't litter

Device: nook classic, kobo Wifi, Kindle, Kindle Touch
Sadly, amazon.co.uk will not sell to yanks.
gdimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
A. B. Syed
A. B. Syed has learned how to read e-booksA. B. Syed has learned how to read e-booksA. B. Syed has learned how to read e-booksA. B. Syed has learned how to read e-booksA. B. Syed has learned how to read e-booksA. B. Syed has learned how to read e-booksA. B. Syed has learned how to read e-booksA. B. Syed has learned how to read e-books

Exclamation

Oh no, I'm sorry about that!

I have no idea what to do now, am I allowed to post here again? Absolutely no idea
Old 10-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
If your book is only free to UK buyers, then there's nothing to be done.

If, however, your book is available from other places, then you should go into your post #1 and add that information.

Don
(Moderation)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
It is now 1.91 sterling on Amazon UK, which seems a lot for a short story of 19 pages
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:04 AM   #6
A. B. Syed

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
It is now 1.91 sterling on Amazon UK, which seems a lot for a short story of 19 pages
Well that is still less than a cup of coffee
Old 10-10-2012, 04:07 AM   #7
A. B. Syed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

If, however, your book is available from other places, then you should go into your post #1 and add that information.

Don
(Moderation)

Thanks Don,

I have been looking around for the T&C, could you let me know where they are please? I know there are some fairly strict guidelines in place.

Thank you.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:28 AM   #8
A. B. Syed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Don
(Moderation)

“Toe Jam on Ganymede”
The words “author,” “genius,” “art,” “aardvark,” “gastrointestinal,” “bunions,” and “typos” are words not often used in the same sentence to describe a book, but we will try: “The first time you read ‘Toe Jam on Ganymede,’ you will realize the genius this author brings to space bunions, with art that strips the uh the uh - ” Ah, heck! I can’t do it, I tell ya! I’m only the poor marketing slob who has to write this crap to sell a book. HELP!

LOL, how about

Forget the "typos" Toe Jam on Ganymede is a gastrointestinal delight - if you have a thick stomach lining. With more 'Aar' than an "Aardvark", more 'buns' than "bunions", this genius author has truly produced a work of art. Celebrated not only on Ganymede, with their extra sensory apparatus, but even on planets closer to Earth, if not actually Earth itself.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[QUOTE]Well that is still less than a cup of coffee [QUOTE]

Not where I live, it isn't 1.10 euros and I get the newspaper to read while I drink it.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
All authors need to review our Posting Guidelines and become familiar with them.

The Posting Guidelines for Self-Promotion is located here, which is a sticky in the Self-Promotions Forum:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90052

Any promotion outside of the Self-Promotion forum will be treated as spam and deleted, and can result in the OP being suspended and/or banned from our community if the behavior continues.

Authors are responsible for adhering to these guidelines if they wish to use our free service.

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-10-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #11
A. B. Syed

[QUOTE=piperclassique;2258405][QUOTE]Well that is still less than a cup of coffee
Quote:

Not where I live, it isn't 1.10 euros and I get the newspaper to read while I drink it.
Wow, you are so lucky, a cappucino here is around £2.15
Well, it *is* called 'rip-off' Britain for a reason!

I'll have a re-think about the price then. Thanks Piperclassique. I notice that one of the highest selling ebooks is around 20p. Now that seems like a rip-off for something which has taken 2-3 months and then the proof-reading, editing, formatting and publishing skills etc. It is such a fine line isn't it?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot

That is seriously expensive coffee. FWIW I think a short story ought to be priced in proportion, so if a three hundred page book cost say five whatevers, a fifteen page short story by the same author would be worth five per cent of that, plus a little bit for the admin involved in selling it. So .25 whatevers sounds about right to me.
Of course, if i have never heard of the author and there aren't any reviews going, I might decide to wait and see if a short story comes up free, or a full sized book not free, but with a worthwhile sample size available. After all, it isn't as if I'm short of something to read.
I take your point about the work, but buying a book by an unknown author is a bit like saying to say, a decorater "choose what colour you paint the walls, and how well you do the job, and I will pay you up front whether I like the result or not."
So, sorry, but the first book I buy from an indie has to be cheap or I just won't be buying it.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #13
A. B. Syed

Quote:
That is seriously expensive coffee. FWIW I think a short story ought to be priced in proportion, so if a three hundred page book cost say five whatevers, a fifteen page short story by the same author would be worth five per cent of that, plus a little bit for the admin involved in selling it. So .25 whatevers sounds about right to me.
Of course, if i have never heard of the author and there aren't any reviews going, I might decide to wait and see if a short story comes up free, or a full sized book not free, but with a worthwhile sample size available. After all, it isn't as if I'm short of something to read.
I take your point about the work, but buying a book by an unknown author is a bit like saying to say, a decorater "choose what colour you paint the walls, and how well you do the job, and I will pay you up front whether I like the result or not."
So, sorry, but the first book I buy from an indie has to be cheap or I just won't be buying it.
Hi PiperClassique, I've taken a long while to reply to this because the thing is, I don't agree with it and I was thinking about what to say.

Yesterday I found out that Amazon are in a pricing war with some of the major publishers and Sony (I think). Because of this, a lot of mainstream books by very popular authors are being sold for 20p.

And because of this I've 'discovered' International best-selling master storyteller (taken from his website) Ken Follett.

Now, the thing is, I'm not bothered how many people have bought his books from the New York Times' bestseller lists, I've only just heard of him yesterday - for me, a new author.

There are a lot of excellent reviews for his works and his books are eagerly awaited, but I've never read that sort of historical novel before and am quite apprehensive about buying the novel - even if it is on sale for 20p. I don't think I'll like it and will have wasted the time invested in the purchase, even if the actual cash is negligible. A view further concentrated when I read the sample. It would have been like my foray into 'chick lit' - a nasty episode that I'm trying hard to forget.

So my point is, that the price is just one of the things i look at when choosing to buy. Read the reviews, yes, try the sample. Then decide.

Otherwise, I've happily bought a book which arrived today which was 'Miss Pettigrew lives for a day' for £7 something. Never heard of Winifred Watson, book written in 1938, but i'm really looking forward to reading it and can't wait for bedtime

And my other point was, we've all read pages and pages of tripe, and one or two lines of the most beautiful prose that stops your heart and has you humming for the rest of the day. So, I try to avoid buying my words by the kilo.

Hope that was not too hectoring or lecturing or pompous.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #14
A. B. Syed

Quote:
But I do get what you mean and I've reduced the price of my short story on your advice
Old 10-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #15
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot

Quote:
So my point is, that the price is just one of the things i look at when choosing to buy. Read the reviews, yes, try the sample. Then decide
Can't argue with that. The problem with that for a short story is that ten per cent of twenty pages is two pages......

Quote:
But I do get what you mean and I've reduced the price of my short story on your advice
Sounds good to me!

Tags
free kindle