Notices

Old 01-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
Taka B.
Mekh
Taka B. began at the beginning.

Device: Rocket Ebook / Kindle 3
Stopping Calibre from checking when device=hard drive

Love Calibre ! Works great in all ways but:

I have a large library (40k+) spread over 1 TB on 2 HDs and Calibre spends HOURS trying to scan on startup if a USB reader device is not attached.

Is there a way (command line?) to have Calibre start without scanning devices automaticaly? Or maybe to eliminate hard drives as possible devices?

The reason this is an issue is that the program crashes before the startup check finishes, (probably due to page file overflow). I also have many damaged PDF files from a previous PC crash and the start routine gets choked on file integrity verification also.

Hope my question makes sense. Thanks
Taka B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I am confused - Calibre cheks for the presence of drives - it does not automatically scan them. It sounds as if you have something else going on?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
Taka B.
Mekh

More info

Upon launch the JOBS list shows:

Get device information = Finished
Get list of books on device = 57% = 232m 58s

The job never gets to 100%. App just closes without any error or message. Of course I am never staring at the screen if/when 100% is reached.

The books are in the library and I can view them just fine, but unless a portable reader is attached, this job restarts every time I start Calibre.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Job List.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	80826  
Old 01-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taka B. View Post
Upon launch the JOBS list shows:

Get device information = Finished
Get list of books on device = 57% = 232m 58s

The job never gets to 100%. App just closes without any error or message. Of course I am never staring at the screen if/when 100% is reached.

The books are in the library and I can view them just fine, but unless a portable reader is attached, this job restarts every time I start Calibre.
do you have a "Connect to folder" (treated as a device) set up?

Calibre does NOT scan its own library normally, but it DOES scan devices.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
Taka B.
Mekh

I might possibly.

Is there a way to kill the job long enough to check? It locks off most preference functions until the job is done.

I tried the kill button for the job but it states "jobs communicating with the device cannot be stopped"
Old 01-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I might possibly.

Is there a way to kill the job long enough to check? It locks off most preference functions until the job is done.

I tried the kill button for the job but it states "jobs communicating with the device cannot be stopped"
What does the bottom of the library window say (next to Kovids name)
Old 01-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
Taka B.
Mekh

Connected Folder Device

I guess that answers your previous guess as to how I got here.

Time for a New Install ?
Old 01-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Connected Folder Device

I guess that answers your previous guess as to how I got here.

Time for a New Install ?
we might wait for the Master to check in.

My guess is go to the Calibre Configuration Directory (hidden in you user Applications folder)
there is a file with connect to folder.py in its name. rename that with a .sav on the end
(Calibre must not be running)
Old 01-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
Taka B.
Mekh

Please tell me the meese cat is sitting in front of an A/B switch box. Those are classic !
Old 01-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Please tell me the meese cat is sitting in front of an A/B switch box. Those are classic !
Yup
That switches my third monitor (portrait mode) between 2 systems, The KVM only handles the Primary.

Note the Calibre Preferences screen. My work was getting lots of supervision
Old 01-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
Taka B.
Mekh

Ok so reading a folder as a device crashed yet again.

I have my wifes Kindel attached as the new MAIN device. How do I turn off the 'READ FOLDER AS DEVICE OPTION' option?

FYI - the only way out of the job was to re-run the Startup wizard.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Ok so reading a folder as a device crashed yet again.

I have my wifes Kindel attached as the new MAIN device. How do I turn off the 'READ FOLDER AS DEVICE OPTION' option?

FYI - the only way out of the job was to re-run the Startup wizard.
I wish Kovid would pop in

Try
Preferences: Plugins: Device Plugins;
find the folder plugin in that section
Highlight, the click disable button
Old 01-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Simply rename the folder it is connecting to to temporarily, then start calibre, go to preferences and make your changes
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #14
Taka B.
Mekh

Solved...

Thanks again for the help. Here were the resolution steps

1) Run GameBooster to minimize system usage
2 ) Run Calibre for 17 hours straight to finish cataloging folder (accidently setup to point at my backup drive)
3) Find function (in TWEAKS - Connect to folder at startup)
4) Eliminate line from tweaks
5) Re-start Cailbre

Karma points for everyone.