Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-19-2010, 02:37 PM   #46
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The 1.8 firmware is ONLY for the original Kobo. It is actually version 1.8.1. You should be offered the firmware when you next use the desktop application. If not, you can force an update by pressing Control-shift-u (Command-shift-u on a MAC). Please make sure to read the first post on installation thread first. Doing a factory reset BEFORE you update is strongly recommended, as is deleting any of the books sideloaded through Calibre or drag and drop.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:40 PM   #47
EDinNB
Enthusiast
EDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
1.8 is only for the wireless Kobo

EDinNB
EDinNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:28 AM   #48
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDinNB View Post
1.8 is only for the wireless Kobo
As far as I know, it's contrary. 1.8.1 is for old device, 1.7.x
should be latest for wifi version. Version mismatch means
nothing, since readers are different. I'd assume renaming of
the software for clear understanding.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:17 PM   #49
MrGammaRay
MrGammaRay began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Ereader
Hi Taming,

I'm getting a 'Bad Request' when attempting to download the 1.8 clean database from the quoted link in your post. Is it me or a bad link?

Thanks for your help.

-steve-

I got the clean database from the link of Jckobo's post.

Last edited by MrGammaRay; 12-20-2010 at 10:21 PM.
MrGammaRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:31 PM   #50
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Yup, use jckobo's. Taming's has a cut/paste error.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:58 AM   #51
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGammaRay View Post
Hi Taming,

I'm getting a 'Bad Request' when attempting to download the 1.8 clean database from the quoted link in your post. Is it me or a bad link?
I fixed the link. I hate when that happens It was a cut and paste thing, for sure.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:19 PM   #52
frog172
frog172 began at the beginning.

Thank you, pholy and taming!! You've just saved my kobo from the trash can. It was a re-gift from my frustrated--and technophobic--mom, but the duplicate text that appeared in every preloaded book since my first sync has been driving me crazy as well. It also refused to open any new free books I added. I was planning to do a factory reset, but didn't want to download and re-sync my entire library. I tried your 1.4 fix first, without success, but the 1.8 fix worked like a charm. Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this
frog172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:18 AM   #53
wizzard
The Reader
wizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watch

Device: Aura HD
Will the instructions work for the latest (1.9) firmware?
wizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:55 PM   #54
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Yes--just make sure to replace all the needed files.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #55
Bureaucromancer
Enthusiast
Bureaucromancer began at the beginning.

Are we going to get these for the various 1.9s? Especially the version running on touch?

Or is it already available and I'm missing it?
Bureaucromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:52 AM   #56
machete2345
machete2345 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
Tried to send a book to my wireless Kobo today using Calibre and got this error message:

database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 68, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 310, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 167, in books
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed

Before I do anything I wanted to check that resetting the Kobo to the factory default state (using the instructions given above) is what I should do to fix it.

Joyful
I get the same error with my kobo touch and only a fraction of my books can be seen in my library.
Is there the same thing for the 1.9 firmwares?

I allready tried the paperclip, then I had to connect it with the kobo software because of a firmware update and it is still the same problem.
Checked the drive with checkdisk no errors.

And now it processes the content everytime I unplug it, without finding the other books

Now Im doing a factory reset from within the settings menu, this does something else as the paperclip....

Last edited by machete2345; 03-13-2012 at 06:22 AM.
machete2345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:09 AM   #57
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
So, two requests so far for the Kobo Touch database.... and a third one from me:

I get the error:
Quote:
calibre, version 0.9.2
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 85, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 468, in _books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 1578, in books
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed
This error occurred both before and after about three million resets (about 3 hours, if not more, of continuous resets until my Kobo Touch finally switched on). Is there a replacement database available for the Touch? I can't seem to find it.

Update for some more info in the spoiler.
Spoiler:
A "verify disk" in the Disk Utility app (Mac) gave me an enless list of:

Quote:
Verifying volume “KOBOeReader”
Checking file systemo
Extend? no
/.kobo/images has entries after end of directory
Truncate? no
Extend? no
Truncate? no

and then finally at the end:

Quote:
Extend? no
Truncate? no
Extend? no
** Phase 3 - Checking for Orphan Clusters
Found orphan cluster(s)
Fix? no
Found 197 orphaned clusters
842 files, 1335540 KiB free (333885 clusters)
Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Click Repair Disk.
I wonder if I should dare let Disk Utility try...

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 10-11-2012 at 04:21 AM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:50 AM   #58
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
So, two requests so far for the Kobo Touch database.... and a third one from me:

I get the error:

This error occurred both before and after about three million resets (about 3 hours, if not more, of continuous resets until my Kobo Touch finally switched on). Is there a replacement database available for the Touch? I can't seem to find it.

Update for some more info in the spoiler.
Spoiler:
A "verify disk" in the Disk Utility app (Mac) gave me an enless list of:

and then finally at the end:

I wonder if I should dare let Disk Utility try...
At the state the device is in, I would be doing a checkdisk on the drive. Or whatever the Mac calls it.

As to the database, I don't have an empty database, but I do have the DDL to create one. I can send you the DDL or create the database. I don't know if it will work as I don't know if there are any entries in it that have to be there.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:13 AM   #59
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
At the state the device is in, I would be doing a checkdisk on the drive. Or whatever the Mac calls it.

As to the database, I don't have an empty database, but I do have the DDL to create one. I can send you the DDL or create the database. I don't know if it will work as I don't know if there are any entries in it that have to be there.
Thanks David. Luckily, I won't be needing it after all:

I suddenly remembered I had a disk image back up of my Kobo from before I "illegally" manually updated to 2.0.2. and 2.1.1. The disk image contained 2.0.0. It took a couple of tries (four I think), and I did have to repair the Kobo disk first, but I got the backup onto the drive. I had to log out and in again before it would properly see all my sideloaded books... but WHEW, it works now!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #60
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post

...[/SPOILER]
Isn't it in the first post of this thread?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
database, kobo, recovery