Notices

Old 09-02-2008, 02:20 AM   #1
swanson37
swanson37 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Copy Books onto Replacement PRS505

Howdy All,

Need a little

I bought a 550 for my ma at christmas and it packed in sometime in February (broken screen). Amazingly when she sent it back they replaced it under the warranty, so she has an all new Reader . Now since she is not technically that gifted I had bought her original and put a load of books onto it and also onto a memory card, which of course she left in her original reader and didn't get back. Problem is I'm in Australia and she's in England and I don't want to ship her reader backwards and forwards over the planet just so I can put some books on it for her. So the question is, can I copy the contents of my wifes reader SD card onto a new one and send it to my mum to put in her new 505? Will the e-books that I purchased from the sony store work in my mums book? I have tested switching cards between mine and my wifes books and I know that works, but both mine and my wifes books are registered on the same account. My mums original book was on the same account as well?

Any ideas, hints or tips you could share will be appreciated

Cheers
Si
swanson37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:34 AM   #2
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I think you'll need to register the new replacement reader onto your account first, then the SD card trick should work.

Now, as to how to do that is going to be up to you.

If your mum is comfortable enough to install the software on her computer, and you can give her your account log in info, she should technically be able to register her reader to your shared account. But that would require her or someone close to her her having to do some semi technical stuff, not to mention giving out your username and password.

The other option is as you mentioned, she ships over the reader to you and you register & load it up for her, and in the future, you can just send her a updated SD card.

Or, you could have her send over her reader, and you mail your / or your wifes reader to her loaded with what she likes, and keep the new one.

The key thing is that is that if you want to share books bought from the sony store, you going to have to register the new reader, and de register the old one. if however the books are DRM free from other sources, you should be fine just sending her a loaded SD card with the books, no registration necessary.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2008, 02:46 AM   #3
swanson37

Thats the response I was hoping for. She already has the s/w loaded onto her machine so I should be able to talk her through registering her machine..(I forsee a long call with lots of coffee ahead)

Thanks for that..

Cheers
Si
Old 09-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson37 View Post

Thats the response I was hoping for. She already has the s/w loaded onto her machine so I should be able to talk her through registering her machine..(I forsee a long call with lots of coffee ahead)

Thanks for that..

Cheers
Si
If all the books you are going to put on the SD card were bought from the Sony store, you can just have your Mum download them also. You could remote into her PC and show her how it's done... It isn't too hard. I think anyone that can surf the web and do email should be able to use the Sony eBook Library software to drag/drop books to the device.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:21 PM   #5
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Just remember that by adding this registration, you'll have to add both your mum's Reader *and* her pc to your account. This might bring it close to the max of 6 devices per account. (For example, if you have one pc and 2 Readers at home, this additional registration will bring it up to 5 devices.)
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2008, 10:42 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I have done for my Mother-in-Law was to remote access into her computer, have her connect her 500 to the computer via the USB and then I ran eBook Library, transferred the content to her computer, and put the eBooks on her reader for her. It was all very simple.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:30 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
(For example, if you have one pc and 2 Readers at home, this additional registration will bring it up to 5 devices.)
I'm not sure why this would be a problem. You are allowed 6 devices, and 5 is less than 6... so he will be ok.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:06 AM   #8
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
As Jon says, take a look at something like https://secure.logmein.com/products/free/ or http://www.crossloop.com/ipage.htm?id=howitworks where, after a bit of setup, you could access the remote computer. The first is the free version of a product & doesn't let you transfer files, but you could probably just zip & email them to get round that (or use the 2nd option).
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:23 AM   #9
swanson37

Thanks...

For all the reponses...

I do now have 6 devices on my account, I need to contact sony support to get them to remove my mums old reader (seems odd that I can't do it myself).

Anyway, I managed to talk her through the authorisation process on the phone in fairly short order (not helped of course by the fact that she insists on clicking everything in sight half a dozen times "to be on the safe side")

Once she had authorized the new machine I had her stick in the memory card I had sent her and after the usual 2.5 hour wait for the reader to do whatever it does all the books became available for her to read.

I'll be taking a look at some of that remote software particularly now the reader has become available in the UK. Digital Editions looks much easier to use for the novice than the sony library software and gives you a prompt if you try to copy the same book onto the device more than once. So I'll probably install that remotely as well as the latest hotfix for the machine.

So again...and have a nice day y'all
Old 09-21-2008, 07:20 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can only remove a reader from Sony's shop if you have the actual reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote