Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-06-2010, 04:33 PM   #1
valb2953
Enthusiast
valb2953 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad,kindle
Question calibre and ipad

Does anybody know why calibre doesn't recognize ipad as a device attached to my PC?It has no problem recognizing my kindle Valentin Bazavan
valb2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:03 PM   #2
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
You should use Calibre's ability to connect to iTunes rather than connecting to your iPad directly.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 05:46 PM   #3
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
You might also need a more recent version of Calibre if you are using an older version.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by valb2953 View Post
Does anybody know why calibre doesn't recognize ipad as a device attached to my PC?It has no problem recognizing my kindle Valentin Bazavan

I have no problem putting books on my IPAD using Calibre, bypassing Itunes..I am using the lastest version...7.6 or something similiar.!!

Last edited by Cpl Punishment; 11-08-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #5
Rob_E
Connoisseur
Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: iPod Touch/iPad
There are multiple ways to add books to your iPad using Calibre. How are you trying to do it? One way involves letting Calibre add books to iTunes and then force iTunes to sync the contact with iBooks. Another option involves letting Calibre operate as a server on the wifi network and connecting to Calibre over wifi using Stanza. There are other options, too, but let us know what method you are using and we can try and help you with your problems.
Rob_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2010, 10:04 PM   #6
hapmas77
Connoisseur
hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, Galaxy Tab S2 9.7, Kindle PW
Too bad that we cannot have the best of both worlds: Stanza's ability to connect wirelessly to Calibre and the eye candy of iBooks.
hapmas77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:45 AM   #7
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapmas77 View Post
Too bad that we cannot have the best of both worlds: Stanza's ability to connect wirelessly to Calibre and the eye candy of iBooks.
Meh. The eye candy of ibooks == do not want. If it was actually functional (stacks of pages gave you a visual indication of where you were in the book) and didn't take up so dang much space then maybe. As it is, the chrome is there for its own sake, because Apple thinks people can't read ebooks unless they can pretend they're actually reading paper books.

Stanza has its problems, but lack of eye candy is not one of them.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:54 PM   #8
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Calibre recognizes my iPad with no trouble.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:30 AM   #9
Maggie-Me
Zealot
Maggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW,Sony 700, Sony 950 (Daily Edition),Nook Color,iPad
I just got the iPad and added Stanza, when I added Calibre as a server Stanza recognized it right away. I did run into problems with time out on a large library (300 books?) and it wouldn't pick up the book list.

It worked fine with a small library about 25 books. Great feature but would love to get it working with the larger library, any ideas?
Maggie-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:10 PM   #10
toddos
Guru

Works fine with my library of just over 200 books. What version of Calibre are you using? Not too long ago (don't remember exactly what version), the calibre server feed was changed to use paging so that it's not trying to load your entire library all at once. Stanza supports this just fine (scroll down and click "load more" or whatever it's called). If your calibre server is not doing this, you should consider upgrading to a later version.

If you can't load a library with more than 25 or so books, something's seriously wrong. Perhaps your Calibre computer is severely under powered?
Old 12-27-2010, 11:28 AM   #11
Archon
Zealot
Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Mac OSX, iPad, iPod, & Nook
Your iPad should synchronize through iTunes and probably doesn't appear on your desktop.

Two ways I have found to do this:
Using iBooks to read on the iPad
Using Stanza to read on the iPad

Easiest is iBooks and sync with iTunes.
Download iBooks and in the iTunes preferences/general make sure you have "Books" checkmarked.

On Calibre under the Connect/Share menu you can connect with iTunes and push books even when the iPad is not attached. But when it is attached it should recognize it as a device.

I figure you probably don't have iBooks and don't have your preferences set up for syncing books yet.

Try that and come back if it doesn't work or if you want to do the Stanza setup.

Archon
Archon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, ipad