Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #106
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucarda View Post
C'est la vie. Because of it I have a unique experiences and worldview in this day and age.
Well, I "earned" my war wound but it was not debilitating. Just nice scares for memory sake.
I did more damage to my continually worsening myopia and astigmatism during those candlelit days and during university.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #107
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by cghipp View Post
I feel sure that you mean that you hope there are NO lasting debilitating effects! And I hope so, as well.
Ah, yes.....I'm the king of typos....corrected above, thank you.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #108
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Been there, done that too kennyc. Typo's are an occupational hazard of using keyboards I sometimes think.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #109
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Been there, done that too kennyc. Typo's are an occupational hazard of using keyboards I sometimes think.
That's what I used to tell my typing teacher. She didn't buy it!

jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #110
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Well I read his NOW as a NO.
Then again I love typos. They improve communication in one way or another. And these are my favorite kind.
Spoiler:

Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #111
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Interesting discussion in the romance freebies section about reading as rebellion. I know a lot of people discovered reading due to a special teacher. How did you become a reader? Harry T notes that readers have always been the minority-so how did we choose the path less traveled?

I became a reader to escape my childhood. Now, my life is so terrific, I find it hard to find time to read!
I can't remember ever not being a reader. My mother says I learned to read at 3 and just took off with it. It has always been my favorite form of entertainment. My parents are also readers but not at the same scope I am. There were always books at the house, and we didn't watch much TV or many movies (these still remain a 2nd tier source of entertainment for me). The library trips were the highlight of my week or month.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #112
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I promise I wasn't trying to be Perfectly Punctuated Barbie - I just thought it was funny because most typos don't change the meaning to be the exact opposite of what you were trying to say! Of course I knew what you meant, but I guess it's possible that it wouldn't be obvious to someone whose first language isn't English.

I actually hate re-reading my own posts because I know I will catch a typo or discover that I left a word out. Some days I can't type my own first name without correcting it every single time!

Courteny - I mean, Courtney
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #113
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
My mom taught me how to read. I was about 3 years old. For as long as I can remember I've read to escape the reality around me. Still do to this day and I don't think that will ever change for me.
Yes. For me it was my Grandmother.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #114
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I've been a reader for as long as I can remember. I was encouraged to read as a child and probably over indulged in books. I'd be bought books most weekends when out shopping with my parents. If we were out in shops I could pick up a book and ask for it and it would be bought. I was never denied. At school every term we would be given a book catalogue that we could take home and order books and I was always allowed to buy as many books as I wanted.

It probably started from there. Even now I buy too many books. Right now I've probably got more than I could probably read in a lifetime but I never feel guilty about buying books.

I do think readers are a minority. None of my friends are readers. My mum and cousin read occasionally whilst travelling to work but aside from that, I am the reader in my family.

Last edited by shanghaichica; 01-11-2013 at 09:25 PM.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #115
ruralreader
ruralreader began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3
I think I was born a reader. I was never read to as a child (neither parent read books) and there was never any books in the house, so I had to make do and read anything I could get my hands on. Magazines, anything I could find when we went visiting, I was reading newspapers at age 4. For some reason I was never given books as a child, maybe they just didn't understand.

One thing I do remember is my first trip to a library at about 8 years old I felt like I had gone to heaven and I haven't taken my nose out of a book since (except to change to an ereader but that doesn't count).

I agree that readers are a minority. I have never met anyone who reads as much as I do,which is a pity really, because sometimes people make me feel guilty about sitting and reading while they are doing physical things.
ruralreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:29 PM   #116
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
A born reader, everyone in my immediate and extended family have always been readers.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #117
Shushan
Bibliophile
Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Pandigital Novel, PC
I was surrounded with books from a young age. My mother taught me how to read and read classics like The Hobbit and Alice in Wonderland to me when I was small. Later, I dug into her piles of classics and mysteries with her blessing. We didn't have a TV in the house at all until I was 5? 6? We didn't watch it all that much even then. You see there there weren't many channels. Back then most TV shows couldn't compete with the better scifi, mysteries, fantasies, histories found in book form. (Today some are excellent, but most of the time the books are still far superior) Imagine your best choice is between reading Isaac Asimov or watching Buck Rogers on TV. How about a choice between reading Jane Austen versus watching the Love Boat? :P

Non-fiction was the news and the occasional documentary on PBS (1-3 a week that might be of interest). Not hard to see why reading would win out, right?

This was also before the age of cable tv, personal computers, public internet, or inexpensive home video games, so there was little else to compete with books for excellent entertainment and information.

"When I was your age, television was called books" ;-)

Last edited by Shushan; 01-11-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Shushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:05 AM   #118
Venus
Country girl
Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many
My mom says that I was a born reader. I never go anywhere without something to read, just in case that I might have a minute of downtime. And my twin sister never ever reads. And no encouragement or passion about a just read book makes a dent.
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #119
miklizro
Enthusiast
miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S3 running Aldiko and Kindle and Kindle 3 keyboard
I can't recall ever not being a reader. My Mom always read to us when we were kids and when we were able we were off and running.
miklizro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #120
purple_fishy
Zealot
purple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook STR, iPad Air 2
I have always been a reader. My mom used to bring stacks of children's library books home with her after work and I would get read to before naps and before bedtime. As soon as I could sit up and hold the books, I was holding books and looking at the pictures. I don't remember learning to read, I know that I went into kindergarten being able to read better than most of my classmates.

For birthdays and Christmas, I always asked for books or gift cards to book stores like Borders and Books-A-Million. Even now, that is mostly what I ask for. I would MUCH rather have a gift card to Barnes and Noble than have cable TV at home.

Last edited by purple_fishy; 01-12-2013 at 12:30 PM.
purple_fishy is offline   Reply With Quote