Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-11-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
Tessie6
Connoisseur
Tessie6 doesn't litterTessie6 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS505
font size changes

I'm very illiterate when it comes to pts and sizes, etc. And I don't even know if I'm in the right forum.

I need to convert/change the font size in the books I download into Calibre and then transfer them to my sony 650. No matter what I do - it's not coming out right.

I open Calibre, select preferences - and I have no idea what to do next. Can someone give me a step by step (in layman terms with explanations of what you are talking about) so that I can go to convert book and change the font size to a nice large one. Then how do I save it so that it drops into the 650.

Can I fix Calibre so that it will automatically do that everytime I convert a book.

I'm 76 years old and have absolutely no idea what metadata is or many of the other terms. Eyes are getting older and I need large print.

Thanks for helping me. If I haven't explained this so that you know what I'm trying to do, please ask questions so I can tell it another way.

Tessie
Tessie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessie6 View Post
I'm very illiterate when it comes to pts and sizes, etc. And I don't even know if I'm in the right forum.

I need to convert/change the font size in the books I download into Calibre and then transfer them to my sony 650. No matter what I do - it's not coming out right.

I open Calibre, select preferences - and I have no idea what to do next. Can someone give me a step by step (in layman terms with explanations of what you are talking about) so that I can go to convert book and change the font size to a nice large one. Then how do I save it so that it drops into the 650.

Can I fix Calibre so that it will automatically do that everytime I convert a book.

I'm 76 years old and have absolutely no idea what metadata is or many of the other terms. Eyes are getting older and I need large print.

Thanks for helping me. If I haven't explained this so that you know what I'm trying to do, please ask questions so I can tell it another way.

Tessie
You will get lots of help, so keep asking if you don't understand something. Most ereaders will let you set the font size. You don't have to do it in the book. Start there. I'm sure someone can tell you how to do it with the sony 650.

Some books might need special treatment to make sure the ereader can change the font, but most books will work fine. You may want to control relative font sizes - titles are larger than the paragraph body text. That you can do in calibre.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Go to Preferences->Common Options and try changing the base font size.

Convert the book and view it with calibre to see if it is satisfactory. If good put it on 650 and see if it is satisfactory

If not go back and make it larger. I believe you use even numbers only, such as 18,20

I need strong glasses to read, but generally I just use the magnify function on the Sony if the text is too small or I have forgotten glasses

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
Tessie6
Connoisseur

size changes

Nothing is checked.

ok, base font size is 0.0. Is that where I can change to 18-20-////

Font size key is blank. Where do I go from there???
Old 11-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessie6 View Post
Nothing is checked.

ok, base font size is 0.0. Is that where I can change to 18-20-////

Font size key is blank. Where do I go from there???

By any chance is the Disable box have a Tick mark?

I use 18pt base size which gives me a nice size at the Middle Zoom level (3) on my 5" reader.

But first, click the Wizard button, the click the "Restore defaults" at the bottom.
Click OK

Apply (the common options)
OK (preferences)

That should fill them in.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@Tessie,

As Starson17 says your Sony PRS650 has options to make the text larger/smaller without having to worry about Calibre conversions. Did you try this as a first step?

Open the book you want to read and press the zoom button, which is second from the right (icon is a little +sign in a magnifying glass). It will open a small window to select the size (XS, S, M, L, XL, XXL). If one of those gives you what you want you don't need to do any more.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:21 AM   #7
Tessie6
Connoisseur

FONT SIZE

I want to thank all of you who helped me with my conversion problem. Everything is working great now, and I can even read the books without straining my eyes.

Thanks again.

Tessie