Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-10-2008, 08:53 PM   #16
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Auron, if you like SciFi/Fantasy try Baen.com. They have all the more popular formats and are DRM free as well as reasonably priced. In fact they have a "free library"so you can sample various authors.

As to the Cybook/Sony/Astak, I agree with Harry. I do not find the Cybook awkward in any way (except that they have not implemented the delete button in software yet). I admit the my Sony is their earliest model - the PRS-500 but the Cybook is, IMO, the best of the three right now. I think the Astak has some real potential though & I do like it. It is my second most favorite.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:39 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron View Post
re: Cybook being awkward
Again this is only based on appearances.. but personally, I don't like all of the small buttons on the sides of the device, as opposed to the front placement on the Sony.
It just seems like it would be very easy to just hit them from gripping the device or hit the wrong one if trying to operate it 'by feel' as oppose to turning it on its side every time you want to hit a button.
Perhaps I'm wrong about the accidental activation - that's one thing I'm curious about. But that is my primary concern about its ergonomics.
Let me put your mind at ease about that. The buttons on the side of the machine are not used in "normal" reading - they are all either for rarely-used functions, or shortcuts for things that there are other ways of doing. In normal operation, one does everything with the 4-way navigation button on the front of the machine.

If you keep the machine in its case (which I'd strongly recommend) it's pretty much impossible to hit a side button inadvertently.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:41 AM   #18
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I find the Cybook pretty much invisible in use. By that I mean I read a book and the Cybook pretty much disappears, just like a regular book.

I can read longer though because the Cybook is so light and I have to reach a higher state of fatigue before gravity wins it little battle and rips the reader from my hand.

That, I suppose, is a way of saying the Cybook is pretty comfortable to read.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:20 AM   #19
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Let me put your mind at ease about that. The buttons on the side of the machine are not used in "normal" reading - they are all either for rarely-used functions, or shortcuts for things that there are other ways of doing. In normal operation, one does everything with the 4-way navigation button on the front of the machine.
The back button on the side is the button intended to be used to get back from a dictionary lookup with multiple hits (most of the lookups especially if you have more than one dictionary). It is very inconvenient to use the side button in this case.

You will not press them by mistake event if you do not use the cover.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:32 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
The back button on the side is the button intended to be used to get back from a dictionary lookup with multiple hits (most of the lookups especially if you have more than one dictionary). It is very inconvenient to use the side button in this case.
Do you find it to be so? I just press it by "feel" as the second one up from the bottom. Very easy!

You can use the "Back" item on the menu, I believe, as an alternative, although personally I never do.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:27 AM   #21
Auron
Auron began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
Ok - it's good to hear that the side buttons on the CyBook are not the issue I thought they were. I might still favor the Sony from a 'feel' stand point, but that might be because I've actually been able to hold it. The page turn buttons are naturally right by my finger as I grab it - but I'm sure I could get used to the 'bottom button' instead.

I'm also still a bit bothered by the idea of having no way to 'organize' a growing collection on the Cybook.. but I suppose I could manage that through software/on my main pc - and only load a few books at a time on the reader.

On the "format" issue - I guess it really depends on what I want to do with DRM.
IF I am willing to de-drm Mobi - it would seem to suggest getting the Sony as I can get all of the DRM Mobi context, as well as other DRM'd content - which might make it a bit more 'future proof'.

If I am not willing to break the drm - that probably implies that the Cybook is better for the current content - and I just hope that in the 2-5 years it takes for the 'format war' to die down, that readers become cheap enough to pick up a new one if needed.

Just two more questions I guess:
a) I know Calibre can do the format conversions and library management for the Sony. In addition to the conversions, can it also do the drm removal, or do I need mobidedrm for that as well?

b) Can Calibre work with a Cybook or just with an SD card? (or is there some equivalent software for Cybook)?
Auron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:35 AM   #22
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you find it to be so? I just press it by "feel" as the second one up from the bottom. Very easy!

You can use the "Back" item on the menu, I believe, as an alternative, although personally I never do.
I never remember which button it is. And you cannot use the back item on the menu if you have multiple hits unless you use the "trick" i discovered and wrote about in another thread. I also have to switch hand position to use the side buttons.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:55 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm also still a bit bothered by the idea of having no way to 'organize' a growing collection on the Cybook.. but I suppose I could manage that through software/on my main pc - and only load a few books at a time on the reader.
That's by far the best way to do it anyway. You really wouldn't want to use either machine with 1000 books on it - navigation just becomes too slow. I currently have about 250 books on my Gen3 (using about 40% of the internal memory) and you really wouldn't want too many more.

Quote:
b) Can Calibre work with a Cybook or just with an SD card? (or is there some equivalent software for Cybook)?
There's free software from MobiPocket's web site called "MobiPocket Creator", which makes it easy to create a MobiPocket book from virtually any input format.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:06 PM   #24
Auron
Auron began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
I just wanted to thank everyone for their input on this - there was a lot of good information that really made me consider the options for which device to get.

I finally decided on the Sony 700 (which was not on my initial list) for a number of reasons - the biggest of which was probably the fact that I was able to actually see it and play with it in the store before buying. Perhaps a little strange in this age of internet sales - but that made it a lot easier for me to be comfortable with the investment.

again for all the advice.
Auron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:06 AM   #25
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
I just wanted to thank everyone for their input on this - there was a lot of good information that really made me consider the options for which device to get.

I finally decided on the Sony 700 (which was not on my initial list) for a number of reasons - the biggest of which was probably the fact that I was able to actually see it and play with it in the store before buying. Perhaps a little strange in this age of internet sales - but that made it a lot easier for me to be comfortable with the investment.

again for all the advice.
Great decision. With Calibre, you don't have to be stuck with drm books. I rarely buy an LRF or ePud / PDF book now days, except if I can get a huge discount (for the 1st 6 months of owning the PRS-505, I shopped at the Sony store 90% of the time). I buy Lit and Mobi books and strip the drm and use Calibre to make a Sony book. Now that I have the Kindle, I just buy most books from Amazon and do the same thing. But of course, sometime other bookstores have coupons that makes their books less then Amazon's. It's great to be able to shop in all the major ebooks store without care. Also a major plus of owning a Sony is being able to check library books; I have 8 library cards from 5 different states, thanks to my relatives. Brooklyn libary has most of the NY Times best sellers, 30 days after release date.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:06 AM   #26
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i'm a little late, but i have no awareness of my cybook while i read - it's very easy to use, and turning the pages is something i'm not even aware of. also i don't use the side buttons on my sidebook. all navigation i use is done by the main (large and easy to find) button.

enjoy your sony 707
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote