Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-11-2016, 05:49 PM   #1321
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Wow! Dead. It's Dead Jim! Where are all the poets?
Me? I've been working mostly on other things Flash Fiction and yes some of the prose poetry above (which merges and blends into fiction)
Anyway, here's a new one:

A Matter of Interpretation
by
Kenny A. Chaffin
All Rights Reserved © 2016 Kenny A. Chaffin

Little Johnny Rocket
had a cracker in his pocket
he pulled it out, pushed in his thumb
and Silly Sally sucked it.

Kenny A. Chaffin – 5/10/2016
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:22 PM   #1322
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
"I don't!"
she said,
and so stood still
secured in her own free will,
which she believed in as a child.
This sometimes drove her parents wild.

(C) A. Buck
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2016, 02:25 AM   #1323
AnnGirdharry
Enthusiast
AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Nice.
AnnGirdharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:28 AM   #1324
AnnGirdharry
Enthusiast
AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Here is a quick poetry puzzle -

in the dock
the most scathing
scrutiny isn't from the jury
it's from herself
for a life half-lived

(which book am I?)
clue - literary, women's
AnnGirdharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:48 AM   #1325
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I'm young
but sometimes
it seems like
I'm very old
I'm weak and alive
then suddenly
in my heart
there's a memory
how bitter? Very bitter.
that of my first love.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2016, 12:04 PM   #1326
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
There was a player called Eric
He was really a maverick
The goals he scored
made him adored
Thus ends this humble limerick
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:05 AM   #1327
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Title: Haiku By The Numbers
---------------------------------

I can count to five
And I can count to seven
I can write Haiku

(Copyright © 2016 Kevin A. Lyons)

Last edited by cromag; 08-18-2016 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Added the title, etc.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:39 AM   #1328
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Title: Haiku By The Numbers
---------------------------------

I can count to five
And I can count to seven
I can write Haiku

(Copyright © 2016 Kevin A. Lyons)
The fact that it's a poem containing 17 syllables is not, in itself, sufficient to form a haiku, cromag (and, indeed, most modern Japanese haiku no longer have 17 syllables). The key definition of a haiku is the juxtaposition of two different ideas with a "cutting word" between them. I would suggest, therefore, that your composition, although it has undoubtedly has great artistic merit, is not a haiku.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:52 AM   #1329
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The fact that it's a poem containing 17 syllables is not, in itself, sufficient to form a haiku, cromag (and, indeed, most modern Japanese haiku no longer have 17 syllables). The key definition of a haiku is the juxtaposition of two different ideas with a "cutting word" between them. I would suggest, therefore, that your composition, although it has undoubtedly has great artistic merit, is not a haiku.
Spoil sport.

That elusive C
Pythagoras I hate thee
C keep way from me.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:04 PM   #1330
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Harry T came round
He stomped and moped and declaimed
Summer is over
Old 08-19-2016, 12:45 PM   #1331
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Excellent. A proper haiku! Even has the desirable seasonal reference
Old 08-19-2016, 12:46 PM   #1332
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Excellent. A proper haiku .
Old 08-19-2016, 12:54 PM   #1333
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Reading many words.
But is this stuff poetry?
Sometimes I wonder.

Last edited by HarryT; 08-19-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:02 AM   #1334
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
My august efforts
Have failed, like seeds sown in snow --
My words don't Haiku.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 03:42 AM   #1335
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Words on a page.
Seventeen syllables? Yes.
But not a haiku.

Tags
poetry, squirrelku