Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #61
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Does KOBO force firmware update through Wifi?
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #62
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
*sigh* Wish calibre would do the sane thing and just treat the Kobo like a regular FAT32 mass storage device (or two devices, if there's a microSD card in). It's not as if the epubs need to be specially-formatted or placed in a special location in the directory structure (they can just be dumped in the base directory, or in subdirs off of it - as long as they don't get too deep, the device doesn't care).
In that case, disable the Kobo Touch driver and let calibre treat the device as a mass storage device.
Quote:
And there's nothing difficult about deleting files. The Kobo won't mind if the database doesn't get updated, as proven when I delete things manually through Windows.
In earlier firmware versions, if you deleted a book from the drive, the database didn't get cleaned up until you tried to open the book. So deleting a book cleanly did need more. I hadn't noticed this change in the firmware, so I might have to look at the deletion again.
Quote:
If calibre would just stop trying to get fancy with shelves and annotations and crap like that, everything would be fine. :/
To be honest, that isn't calibre, that is me. I wanted shelves, series info and some other things. And so did a lot of other people. I fixed the driver so that I could use it and added these options. They seem to be popular additions. But you can ignore all these options by simply not setting them. And set the metadata management to manual.

Annotations are a little different. They were already in the driver when I started. I don't like how it is done and don't use them. But, I make sure it works if someone points out a problem. I also keep looking for a better way to do it, but I haven't come up with a way I like.

And don't tell me that these are useless options. Each time a new function is added to the firmware, someone asks for an easy way to use them. If I can work out how to do them, I add it. But, I try to make sure it doesn't affect any existing function.

Lastly, the driver isn't broken. There is a check to make sure that there driver understands the database. This is in case Kobo put out a change to the firmware that makes a lot of changes. So far, they haven't. The database is not changing very fast and I have kept ahead of the released firmware. Until the next calibre release, set the "support newer firmware" option and everything will be OK.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #63
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
Does KOBO force firmware update through Wifi?
It will only do it when you do a sync over the WiFi. But, when it does, the only option is whether to restart now or later.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #64
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Noticed that The Avenir font has been renamed Avenir Next. Bold/Italics are working for me in all the books I've tried using both Avenir & Kobo Nickel.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #65
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
It sounds more like he's saying the button won't work to turn the light on, but raising the brightness level turns the light on and he can then drop it back down to the minimum level? I wonder if that equates to there being no way to then shut it off, without shutting the reader off or sleeping it?
It doesn't seem to happen every time but when I have the light level slider fully to the left and then press the light button twice (off and on), the light on indicator is displayed but the light itself does not come on. If I move the slider up a level and then back down, the light does come on and stay on. I'm not certain but I think the minimum light level is lower than in previous firmware which might be causing the problem.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 04-17-2013 at 10:17 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #66
xor_
Zealot
xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I'm not certain but I think the minimum light level is lower than in previous firmware
I wasn't certain either but had the same impression.
xor_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #67
woe
woe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.woe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.woe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.woe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.woe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.woe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.woe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.woe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.woe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.woe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.woe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Maybe related to the update, maybe not, but I've had the double-tap problem come back (first tap doesn't turn the page, second tap turns two pages).
woe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #68
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by woe View Post
Maybe related to the update, maybe not, but I've had the double-tap problem come back (first tap doesn't turn the page, second tap turns two pages).
I can assure you I've seen that with all firmware levels I've used (and that includes beta versions and all publicly released ones).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #69
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Well - this is interesting - my Glo updated to 2.50 -- and now I can't open any side loaded books - when I try to open one (from our MR library) I get this message "Oops! This document couldn't be opened - This document is protected by Adobe DRM"

What's going on? Do I need to do a Factory Reset and reload the books?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #70
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Well - this is interesting - my Glo updated to 2.50 -- and now I can't open any side loaded books - when I try to open one (from our MR library) I get this message "Oops! This document couldn't be opened - This document is protected by Adobe DRM"

What's going on? Do I need to do a Factory Reset and reload the books?
Fascinating - I powered the Glo off, removed the SD card, inserted the SD card, and powered the Glo on ... and the books are now no longer protected by Adobe DRM .... wild!
Old 04-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #71
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Yeah. It's been doing that to me for the last couple of firmware upgrades. :/
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:30 PM   #72
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
If you open Adobe Digital Edition and connect your reader to the computer it will be recognized by ADE. There is an option to reauthorize your reader. After that your DRM protected books will open.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #73
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
If you open Adobe Digital Edition and connect your reader to the computer it will be recognized by ADE. There is an option to reauthorize your reader. After that your DRM protected books will open.
The problem was - I don't have any ADE protected books loaded on the Glo - they are all DRM free - from our MobileRead Library - weird!

And I've never authorized my Glo with ADE.

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 04-17-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #74
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I had to do a synchronization today which triggered the firmware update. So it seems to be rolling out faster than the previous one, I really was expecting it to happen today.
As for the 2.4.0 update, I have to do in two steps with a reset in between. I'll let you know when the second donwload is completed if I have any trouble with this new firmware.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #75
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
I just recieved the update via wifi on my Glo, and I can confirm that the lowest light level is just a bit dimmer than it used to be. I also noticed that the light won't come on if the brightness slider is set to the minimum.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote