Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-28-2009, 02:27 PM   #16
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny View Post
From Kindle Myths & Partial Truths - "Every book they "buy" and download causes an email to be sent to you and you realize your Kindle is missing because you didn't buy those books. You contact Amazon and say "My Kindle has been stolen and thief made book purchases, please refund my money, remove the books from the Kindle then deregister it". You also make sure to turn off the 1-Click setting for the Kindle."

Now how do I turn off the 1-Click setting for the Kindle? I can turn off the 1-Click setting for my Amazon account, but 1-Click is still active for Kindle purchases. I can change the credit card info for the Kindle 1-Click so I changed it to a VISA gift card w/ a very small balance.

I wasn't worried about someone making unauthorized purchases until I ordered a Kindle 1 for my niece. I'm not worried about her, I'm just afraid that one of her friends will get ahold of her Kindle & order a bunch of stuff as a joke.

Thanks!
If you're the account holder, you will get an email with all the purchases. If you see a bunch of suspicious ones, you can contact Amazon and have them removed. I take it that if you turn off 1-Click for the Kindle, she can't shop from the device, no? If it's on your account, that would mean you'd either have to give her access to the account or you would have to go to the website and get all the samples and books for her yourself. That seems a bit much to go through if you can easily get mistaken purchases refunded. If a friend does do that to her, then it may be a good lesson for her to stand up for herself and take care of her stuff. How old is she?
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:49 PM   #17
Nanny
Nanny began at the beginning.

Device: K2, PRS-505, Nokia 520, Fire Phone
She's 15 & will be taking the Kindle to school w/ her. You know how high school kids can be sometimes - I probably should be more worried about a damaged Kindle rather than unauthorized credit card charges.

I haven't been able to turn 1-Click off for the Kindle so she's able to order from it. Luckily, she loves a bargain & has just been getting the freebies so far.
Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:11 AM   #18
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
All Kindles registered to an account must use 1-click and have a credit card or gift card assigned to the account in order to purchase Kindle books. The sentence about turning off 1-click referred to having Amazon turn it off for a *stolen* Kindle.

I'll change the way that section is written to make it clearer. Sorry for the confusion.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #19
Nanny
Nanny began at the beginning.

Device: K2, PRS-505, Nokia 520, Fire Phone
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'm still new to all of this, hopefully I'll get it figured out one of these days.

Daffy & all thanks again for the help!
Nanny
Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote