Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-25-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
jaylemi
jaylemi began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Need Help Creating an eBook

Hi folks,

I am looking for instructions or some tips on how to create an eBook (.ePub) from a scanned book. I'd like to start scanning some of my daughter's books and transfer them to iBooks (iPhone 3GS).

I have already spent several hours researching this, so please don't yell too much for posting a "help" topic. This forum is very informative and useful, but there's SO much info out there, I'd like to try and streamline this.

So if anyone can lend a helping hand, I would appreciate it!

Thanks!
jaylemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
What part do you need help with exactly? The workshop area has lots of threads discussing book scanning.

Here's a basic run down of how I did the last book I scanned...

1) Scan each page and OCR (with my scanner you can have it auto OCR as each page is scanned). The OCR of each page is saved as an RTF file.

2) Combine the RTF pages. I'm sure there's a quicker way, but I copy and pasted each page into a new document. This allowed me to proof small bits at a time as I went.

3) Take the combined RTF file and get it just how I want it and save it as HTML (I used Word and saved as filtered HTML).

4) Open HTML in Sigil and create an ePub adding in Chapter Breaks, Cover, etc. and getting the TOC and Meta Data how I wanted it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert