Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-27-2013, 05:13 AM   #256
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Welll I have rebooted more times than you can shake a stick at

Let me go check I have the files..

Hmm? where do they live again? DOH! lol

EDIT: Okay mine might have been missing? Okay... they were missing... Dunno why though.

So I restored them from a backup

Ill try again

Does another restart...

Last edited by twobob; 03-27-2013 at 05:18 AM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:21 AM   #257
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yep. works fine now.

thanks
Advert
Old 03-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #258
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Version 3.3

Version 3.3 released. It includes a bugfix for situations where the main partition is not to be flashed, but only some other actions (jailbreak, TTS...) are to be performed.

@twobob, dsmid: Sorry for the many updates lately - but now it should really be bug-free...
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #259
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiemonkey View Post
I chose jailbreak and default tts files in kubrick and then succesfully updated to 5.3.2 but whenever I enable text to speech, an error box pops up showing something like: text to speech has encountered an error.
OK, so I just tried this again.
- deleted TTS folder, then performed update to 5.3.2. (the order shouldn't really matter though).
- tried TTS, got error as expected.
- used Kubrick (version 3.3!), skipped flashing the main partition, but only let it reinstall the TTS files.
- result: 5.3.2 with working TTS.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #260
twobob

sweet.
Ill do my thing

Thanks

EDIT: DONE

Last edited by twobob; 03-27-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Advert
Old 03-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #261
dito
dito began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
I have just burned the iso to CD and ran the thing and after a bit of loading it says that it cannot boot because its missing some java files :S

What should I do?
dito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #262
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dito View Post
I have just burned the iso to CD and ran the thing and after a bit of loading it says that it cannot boot because its missing some java files :S

What should I do?
First: double-check that you're using version 3.3. (i.e., re-download from the primary site if in doubt)

If the problem persists, please post the exact messages you're seeing (or, probably easier: photos of the screen, see a few posts back for examples).

Last edited by ixtab; 03-27-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:53 AM   #263
dito

Heres the pic http://puu.sh/2ppIH

Also, this may not have anything to do with this problem but maybe its remotely connected : when I type shutdown in the console on this pic it doesnt go to shutdown, it does not recognize the command
Old 03-28-2013, 05:18 AM   #264
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Heres the pic http://puu.sh/2ppIH

Also, this may not have anything to do with this problem but maybe its remotely connected : when I type shutdown in the console on this pic it doesnt go to shutdown, it does not recognize the command
Thanks for the picture!

It unfortunately seems like you are using a CD or DVD drive which is not supported by Kubrick (or, more specifically, by the Kernel used). Can you give some more information about your configuration? I.e., what CD or DVD drive is it (exact make and model), how is it "attached" to the system (IDE, USB, S-ATA...), etc. ?

In case you're confused: note that saying "the drive is not supported" while the system clearly booted from it is not a contradiction. Your BIOS managed to detect the device and load the initial ramdisk, but the Linux kernel doesn't seem to recognize your drive. This is why it's important to know as much information as possible about the drive - maybe I missed some kernel configuration options, or maybe it really isn't supported. In any case, your input would be very helpful.

That said... I guess that your only option for now is to either try on a different computer, or - if you have a USB stick to spare and your computer can boot from USB - to try with a USB stick.

Regarding "shutdown": yeah, my bad. The correct command is "poweroff"
Thanks for pointing it out - I'll fix it in the next version (which will hopefully also support your CD drive... if possible).
Old 03-28-2013, 06:01 AM   #265
dito

Im surprised that my dvd drive isn't supported because I bought it as a best buy.
The device is PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-115D ATA Device
Old 03-28-2013, 06:26 AM   #266
twobob

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/a...15D/media.html

firmware update applied?
Old 03-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #267
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:

Im surprised that my dvd drive isn't supported because I bought it as a best buy.
The device is PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-115D ATA Device

Hmm... That's not exactly terribly exotic, and not terribly new, either. So it should have been recognized

Just to be sure, could you boot once again, and run "cat /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info", please?

@all Linux experts: Since this seems to be a plain ATAPI device, what could I possibly have done wrong in the kernel configuration to cause this drive not to be detected?

Code:
uname -a
Linux kubrick 3.7.10-kubrick #6 SMP Tue Mar 12 11:59:55 UTC 2013 i686 unknown
# /proc/config.gz attached to this post
Any help is really appreciated...
Attached Files
File Type: gz config.gz (17.7 KB, 192 views)
Old 03-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #268
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Well, there are _lots_ of PATA controller drivers you didn't enable... (CONFIG_PATA_*) And the PATA_LEGACY is also disabled. Since the times of libata, that ought to be the main difference between PATA and SATA paths.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #269
dito

http://puu.sh/2psiI
I installed the new firmware right now
Ill report after i see if things changed

EDIT: nope, still not working

Last edited by dito; 03-28-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #270
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Well, there are _lots_ of PATA controller drivers you didn't enable... (CONFIG_PATA_*) And the PATA_LEGACY is also disabled. Since the times of libata, that ought to be the main difference between PATA and SATA paths.
Whoops. If you say so - well, you're most probably right .*

I tend to get lost in "make menuconfig", because it seems like everything depends on everything else, 5 menu levels away... and I started from the vanilla kernel configuration.

So yeah, any help is really welcome. I *guess* that the only part which needs tweaking is really CD-ROM support - should be "support everything". All the rest is just candy, but I want to keep it as small as possible (except for the required stuff like squashfs etc.)

So if anybody with more experience could post a "recommended" configuration, I'd be more than grateful.

(*)Hmmm... IIRC, the kernel configuration itself said to "disable in favor of the new libata (or so)" - should I still enable it?