Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 10:39 PM   #106
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I'm just approaching my 2nd year at MobileRead, but during that time since I found this site, it's been a daily visit for me, even multiple times a day. And during my time here my favorite forums has switched depending on where I was at.

At first I was just a lurker trying to figure out which reader is really best for me, and the biggest help in that decision was the "Which one should I buy?" forum. After finally deciding on the Sony PRS-350, I still hung around there a lot trying to help others with their decision, and also was in the Sony forum a lot for tips, help, hacks (PRS+ is just amazing still!).

And then I discovered Calibre and its own forum, and my interest was there for a long time (and still). And then I decided to scan a few old books I had no longer in print, so the Sigil and Workshop forums were my most used.

No matter what stage in your ereader experience you are, this site is like being in a candy store but for people who love all things about books. I honestly can't think of anything that could be improved on in any of these forums. People are helpful answering even my stupidest questions to get me through whatever I'm up to at the moment. I still frequent all of these forums, and still learn something new about putting together an epub, or just learning about new readers on the market.

I still love my PRS-350, so much that I bought a second one as a spare. So the information I got from this site even while lurking was the best possible to help me decide.

Here's to another 10 years for MobileRead!
Old 10-31-2012, 12:17 AM   #107
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Congratulations on your 10 year anniversary!

I don't remember any more how I found you - I've been e-reading on my PDA since approximately 2003. I suspect I found you when I was trying to research the various formats to decide which one I would be willing to support (chose eReader/Palm Digital Media PDB until ePub came out).

I don't really have a favorite forum...I just click on the New Posts link at the top of the home page and look for interesting posts. I have forums of little interest to me blocked in my preferences, but otherwise I love the mixture of topics and opinions.

I think the only thing I would improve about that link (and I'm not quite sure if it's possible) is that when adding new forums, I wish there was a way to automatically update user preferences. For example - I have no real language skills except English (swear words don't count). So I have all the "foreign language" forums blocked. I was surprised a few weeks ago when I started seeing what looked like Spanish language threads starting to show up (the new forums, obviously). It's probably too complicated, and wasn't hard to go in and fix my preferences...but that's the only thing I can think of to change!

I got to win a prize awhile back - I think it was the millionth post? (Or was it ten-millionth post? ) So on the rare chance my name is drawn again, please go ahead and choose again and let one of the other folk have the fun of winning!
Advert
Old 10-31-2012, 02:28 AM   #108
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
Congratulations with this 10th anniversary!!

I consider MR one of the most gentle and friendly online communities I have been part of. I enjoy looking through the News and General sections, and am always amazed at the number of intelligent people gathering in the Politics and Religion section.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:42 AM   #109
Rekvest
Rekvest began at the beginning.

Device: none
Congratulations on your 10 year anniversary.

Android devices is my favorite forum (because i have only android phone and read on it).
Old 10-31-2012, 03:16 AM   #110
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Congratulations on keeping the site going for 10 years, and here's to the next 10

My favourite section would probably be the Calibre section. I've learned a lot there.

The only improvement I can suggest would probably require changes to the forum software, and it's general, not specific to the Calibre section. It would be nice if you could reply to a thread by replying to the reply notification e-mail.
Advert
Old 10-31-2012, 03:27 AM   #111
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Happy Birthday Mobileread. My favorite section is the Deals and Freebee's section as it helps me to find some good bargains for ebooks. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26 As for how it could be better, perhaps a subforum could be created for the monthly threads like Baen and other such so they don't end up burying the limited time freebee books in between themselves. I mean the Feb. 2012 Baen book bundle thread for example is at the top of the page at the moment and this is the end of Oct.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:29 AM   #112
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Happy 10th Birthday MR! I can't believe this is warmest community I have encountered on the internet.

My favourite forum is of course "Which one should I buy?". I bet there is no other place anywhere online where experienced opinions about specific ebook-readers can be saught.

How can we improve this section?

When someone opens a thread with specific requirements, it is not always possible for him to have information from members who really know possible-device-in-question. Although asker gets lot of personalized guidance about new device, he also wants to get a look at all devices available to him. I find that MR wiki is not always a place where sufficient information is available.

I suggest we add sticky with link to a custom page where there is a list of all ebook readers + tablets available on the planet. This huge database can consist of:

General tech specs in detail
Availibility by country
List of MR members who own that device (can be voluntary opt-in for members)
Detailed software capabilities
Screenshots and Photos by members
Modified firmwares available
Legal restrictions on device
Ability to compare selected devices
Ability to rate devices by device owners
List of external softwares associated with device (For example, Sony reader app for Sony reader, iTunes for iPad)

Long live MR and long live this great reader community! Have a nice day everyone!

Last edited by Nexutix; 10-31-2012 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Typographical errors
Old 10-31-2012, 04:07 AM   #113
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Congratulations with the first ten years. I hope there will be many, many more...

I came here a year and a half ago because of the ePub section of the forum. There are tons and tons of good tips there and mobileread is full of helpful people to get assistance in making good-looking ebooks. THe only improvement as I see it is the search function: when I want to search for a specific subject on this site, I increasingly often sind myself using google because the sites own search makes it difficult to find certain subjects

Last edited by Iznogood; 11-05-2012 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 10-31-2012, 04:30 AM   #114
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Congratulations on turning 10, MobileReads!

I have a really hard time deciding on a favourite section - News, General Discussions, Deals & Freebies and Reading Recommendations are all very nearly equally worthy of that title.

If I have to name just one, I think Reading Recommendations is my favourite, though, simply because I love seeing what other people read and recommend - it's one of my favourite ways of finding new books.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:36 AM   #115
Cheep
Cheep began at the beginning.

Device: none
Congratulations!

Congratulations!!!

My favourite section is Android devices, because as for me all information about new android technologies is interesting!
Old 10-31-2012, 05:37 AM   #116
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Being a K3 owner I've found the mobi/prc uploads area to be my favorite. I bought a K3 mostly for PD books and was disappointed that the ones from Amazon and Gutenberg were so poorly formatted.

I like it because many wonderful people format and upload those books. In particular crutledge, who has literally uploaded 1000s of books, all very well done, and the sorely missed Patricia

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=128

As to how it could be improved, I dunno. Maybe a "Thank you" button or something to let you know you appreciate their efforts, since you can't always give them karma.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:54 AM   #117
jmontano
Enthusiast
jmontano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmontano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmontano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmontano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmontano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmontano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmontano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmontano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmontano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmontano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmontano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Congratulations on 10 years. I still remember Mobileread as my go-to place to find ebooks for my first Palm PDA. Boy how much you have grown.

My favourite forums are those related to the great Ebook Manager: Calibre

I guess a RSS feed for Deals & Freebies would be a nice improvement.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:07 AM   #118
shenye
Zealot
shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontano View Post
I guess a RSS feed for Deals & Freebies would be a nice improvement.
https://www.mobileread.com/feeds/26_rss20.xml
Old 10-31-2012, 07:19 AM   #119
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
My favorite section is on Sigil.

My main suggestion would be to improve search. I often don't find what I want, so I don't use search much.

Mobileread is the place to go to learn about mobile reading, no question about it. Congratulations on ten years and may there be many many more.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:25 AM   #120
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
My favorite section like many others is the Deals & Freebies. Especially when free audiobooks are involved. Who doesn't like free stuff?

As for improvement, I can't think of anything. Keep up the great work and thank you for providing us with this community.
Closed Thread