Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I'm thinking of buying an Android tablet

I'm thinking of buying an Android tablet, primarily for testing the ebooks I design on Android. I've had a very quick look at a Samsung Galaxy 6" in a store, but I'm very confused about the different tablets available and the apps I would need. So I thought I'd ask here for help from people who know what they're doing.

I want a tablet which has a six inch screen, and is available in Australia. It must have an app which can read validated ePubs, or have such an app available for it. It would be nice but not essential to also have an app which reads azw2/KF8.

Any suggestions? Can anyone point me to a review or comparisons of android tablets?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:05 AM   #2
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
You could just get a second hand Nexus 7, should be very cheap. I use Moonreader on my Nexus 7 to read all my epub books. Works fine (Moonreader) but the Nexus is fairly mediocre...

You could just use an ipad and Marvin to check your epub layouts... once it's a good epub, it's a good epub no matter what device it's on.

(The ipads of course have the amazon Kindle app available for free to read azw's, no doubt it's available on android but I have no intention of bothering with non epub formats for ebooks, so haven't bothered to check.)
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2013, 12:29 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Does it need to be 6 inch? Not sure there's much out there that size running a more current version of Android. 7 inch is a much more common size.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:29 AM   #4
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I want a tablet which has a six inch screen, and is available in Australia. It must have an app which can read validated ePubs, or have such an app available for it.
Here is another vote for a used/refurbished/whatever Nexus 7. Since the 2013 version was just released last month, even new 2012 version Nexus 7 tablets should be down in price now. Since Nexus 7 is the Google tablet, you are almost certain to get apps that are well optimized for it. I use the Google Play reader, B&N Nook reader, or CoolReader for EPUB, and they all seem OK. I only infrequently read EPUB, so there may be better readers that I do not know about.

Quote:
It would be nice but not essential to also have an app which reads azw2/KF8.
The Kindle app for Nexus 7 is my most often used reader app, and it works great on Nexus 7. Since it is from Amazon the Amazon formats work perfectly on it.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:41 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks to you all.

I'm used to my 6" Sony, and didn't want to go any bigger. But I guess I could cope with 7"
Advert
Old 08-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
In the case of Android, you'd probably want to test the epub on a number of different reader apps:

Moon+
Aldiko
Mantano
CoolReader
FBReader
Bluefire
Overdrive
Nook
Kobo

The above appear to be the most commonly used. As for device, I agree with the Nexus 7 as it's probably the most popular Android tablet available.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Another vote for the Nexus 7. I have one and use it with Aldiko for my reader.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Quote:
I'm thinking of buying an Android tablet, primarily for testing the ebooks I design on Android. I've had a very quick look at a Samsung Galaxy 6" in a store, but I'm very confused about the different tablets available and the apps I would need. So I thought I'd ask here for help from people who know what they're doing.

I want a tablet which has a six inch screen, and is available in Australia. It must have an app which can read validated ePubs, or have such an app available for it. It would be nice but not essential to also have an app which reads azw2/KF8.

Any suggestions? Can anyone point me to a review or comparisons of android tablets?
You will have to go 7" on a tablet or you could pick up a second hand samsung galaxt note phone, ( phablet) which is between 5" to 5'3 depending the model. The one Samsung is announcing next month is rumored to be 5'7" and closet to your 6" desired size.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
The 2013 version of the Nexus 7 isn't out in Australia yet (or anywhere outside the US, I think -- in Germany and the UK we get it at the end of the month). It's substantially better than the 2012 version, so you might want to wait a bit, if you opt for a Nexus 7.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:50 AM   #10
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks again for all your comments. Decisions... Decisions
Old 08-18-2013, 03:56 AM   #11
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
I'm still very happy with my Note One; excellent bookreader, except in full sun, and it is so much more; phone, gps, internet, music etc. etc.
I can read from it for hours without straiing my 50+ years old eyes.
Ilovejed indeed sums up the omst popular android readers. I tried them all and settled for Moon+ Pro. Completely customisable and thus works and looks exactly like I want it to.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
you could always grab a sero 7 pro for 129 at walmart. the memo hd 7 for 149 is a wee bit smaller but with better battery life and smoother operation imo.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #13
cortman
Zealot
cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle 3 3g, Nook HD+, Nexus 4 (Mantano)
I have been eyeing up android tablets for a while, and I would get a Nexus 7. Seems like the best deal in a tablet.
Unfortunately, my budget won't all out it, for now.
cortman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #14
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
I am not in favour of the Nexus because there is no SD Card expansion slot.
The Nexus is a like a sports car without a lot of storage room.

For the best bang for your buck I highly recommend the Asus Memo Pad HD 7.

The Asus Memo Pad is cheap at $150 and it has good specs for a low budget tablet.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #15
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
I am not in favour of the Nexus because there is no SD Card expansion slot.
It's a downside, and I don't understand why Google omits the slot, though if you get the 32 GB version, you should have plenty of space and (unlike with an iPad) you can still use USB flash drives.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote