Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-07-2014, 10:24 PM   #1
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Moon+ Reader on a cheap Android tablet
Joe Hill's NOS4A2 - discounted but problems.

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but since this was a discounted ebook, I've posted this here.

Yesterday, I picked up the epub of Joe Hill's NOS4A2, discounted at $1.99, as reported here in the Deals forum in a couple of other threads. As I was going thru my usual CSS tweaking & cleanup session in Sigil, I was shocked when the "Delete unused image files" tool picked up 29 unused images. These looked like some pretty nice drawings and illustrations, all unreferenced in the book's html. Looking through amazon's online preview of the print version of this book confirmed this - these are illustrations in the print version, omitted from the epub text.

This kind of thing infuriates me. With the exception of tweaking font sizes, margins and such for my ereader, I want to experience the same content as the pbook when I read an ebook. Based on the image file names (most are named page_NNN.jpg, where NNN is the page number in the pbook), and performing text searches on the amazon online pbook, I was able to figure out where they go and restore them. I did email the publisher and ask them why all these images were omitted from the ebook.
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:53 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm moving this to the General Discussion Fourm, since it concerns an issue that (apart from the initial purchase as a discounted item), deserves a wider forum for discussion and critique.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:31 AM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Hmmm....doesn't seem right.....but I know that because of the limitations/requirements of ebook formating many poetry books end up pretty mangled.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:10 AM   #4
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Hmmm....doesn't seem right.....but I know that because of the limitations/requirements of ebook formating many poetry books end up pretty mangled.
Yeah, I can understand that, but why should there be any issue with an image?

I think most of the nonfiction ebooks I've bought have included photos that appear in the paper copies, but I recall that the ebook of Bugliosi's Helter Skelter didn't include any of the photos.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:16 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Yeah, including all those images without referencing them in the book just seems like someone's brain-fart to me.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #6
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Yeah, I can understand that, but why should there be any issue with an image?

I think most of the nonfiction ebooks I've bought have included photos that appear in the paper copies, but I recall that the ebook of Bugliosi's Helter Skelter didn't include any of the photos.
There shouldn't really.

Doesn't really make sense unless someone decided that size, delivery costs (which Amazon and others charge) or something like that was an issue.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #7
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Yeah, including all those images without referencing them in the book just seems like someone's brain-fart to me.
and if the images were in the download/delivery the 'delivery charges' would have applied anyway....

I think you're right, someone just screwed up in formatting it.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #8
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
I just checked my edition on the iPad and also found no illustrations, but did find this buried at the end of the book:

"Exclusive to the print editions of NOS4A2 are more than 15 illustrations by award-winning Locke & Key artist Gabriel Rodríguez."

Out of curiosity, how many folks here would have bought the print edition instead had they known? I would have been tempted to go print, but the ability to enlarge font would probably sent me to the ebook anyway, not to mention the bargain price. Still, there's no reason why the ebook should not have had the illustrations as well.
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:50 AM   #9
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
and if the images were in the download/delivery the 'delivery charges' would have applied anyway....

I think you're right, someone just screwed up in formatting it.
I agree, and I'm pretty sure the mistake was that they failed to remove the jpegs from the ebook before distributing it - I hadn't thought about the issue being charges based on file size. For example, one of the images is a business card. In the corresponding html text, that card is just centered text.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:50 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Interesting. It sounds as if the images were always intended to be exclusive to the print edition. I've seen that sort of situation before. But never where the images were still included in the ebook's package--just unmanifested. Weird. Probably still a slip-up (if not downright incompetence), though.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Interesting. It sounds as if the images were always intended to be exclusive to the print edition. I've seen that sort of situation before. But never where the images were still included in the ebook's package--just unmanifested. Weird. Probably still a slip-up (if not downright incompetence), though.
Were the ORIGINAL Book images all in one place? Maybe that Section went into the bit bucket accidentally because of a malformed Syntax.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:36 AM   #12
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumadona View Post
Still, there's no reason why the ebook should not have had the illustrations as well.
Sure there is. The print publisher needs to find a way to sell more pbooks. It might also be a jab at ebook libraries, because their customers won't have the option of checking out the pbook with the illustrations.

Although not bothering to strip them from the ePUB is criminally lazy. A scurvy scalawag sailing the briny seas might decide to re-enable them and distribute them as "authentic plus" or something like that.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:40 AM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Sure there is. The print publisher needs to find a way to sell more pbooks. It might also be a jab at ebook libraries, because their customers won't have the option of checking out the pbook with the illustrations.

Although not bothering to strip them from the ePUB is criminally lazy. A scurvy scalawag sailing the briny seas might decide to re-enable them and distribute them as "authentic plus" or something like that.
This.....given what Plumadona said....
Old 01-08-2014, 12:29 PM   #14
Section8
Addict

Quote:
I'm fairly certain these images were manifested, they just weren't linked anywhere in the html text. When I import a new book into calibre, I usually run Quality Check and check for unmanifested files, but may have missed this book - I'll double check this evening. However, I have a vague recollection (probably from a thread in these forums) that Sigil will totally ignore unmanifested files when opening an epub. If that's true, these definitely were manifested.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:15 PM   #15
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Sounds like OP got an unintended bonus. I say enjoy
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote