Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-11-2011, 03:20 AM   #1
matthewdeans
matthewdeans began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Y/N custom column in Tag Browser?

Hi,all
I add a 'yes/no custom column' called 'HasRead' , but it didn't show in Tag Browser.
How can I put 'HasRead' in Tag Browser?

thanks.
matthewdeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:07 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You can put only text-like columns in the tag browser. None of int, float, yes/no, or date can go there.

If you want something like a yes/no column that can go in the tag browser, use a "text with a fixed set of values" column and check the "show checkmarks" box.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewdeans View Post
Hi,all
I add a 'yes/no custom column' called 'HasRead' , but it didn't show in Tag Browser.
How can I put 'HasRead' in Tag Browser?

thanks.
Use a Search Filter instead.
Code:
#hasread:false
assumes the field name , asumes you want those not read

you can use a Search filter and a tag(s) to filter your book list
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool tried it

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
You can put only text-like columns in the tag browser. None of int, float, yes/no, or date can go there.

If you want something like a yes/no column that can go in the tag browser, use a "text with a fixed set of values" column and check the "show checkmarks" box.
i tried this and cannot figure out how to populate it with checkmarks, i can enter ascii keyboard characters, but that seems to be all.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
i tried this and cannot figure out how to populate it with checkmarks, i can enter ascii keyboard characters, but that seems to be all.
The field is a text field, so entering characters is normal. Assuming you checked the "use checkmark" box, enter "yes" to get a green check, "no" to get a red X, and nothing to get no mark at all. If you make the field have a "fixed set of values" and give yes & no for the values, then you will have a drop down box with those values (plus empty).
Advert
Old 08-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #6
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool odd display

Quote:
The field is a text field, so entering characters is normal. Assuming you checked the "use checkmark" box, enter "yes" to get a green check, "no" to get a red X, and nothing to get no mark at all. If you make the field have a "fixed set of values" and give yes & no for the values, then you will have a drop down box with those values (plus empty).
did it (yes,no with no color values in the color field) and the drop-down shows 'empty,empty,x' but the 2nd empty puts a green check-mark in the field. works fine except for the drop-down display missing the check-mark.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool colors

am i correct in assuming that color only works for text and doesn't work when you check 'show check-marks'? i cannot get the check-mark to display in anything but green.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:56 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
am i correct in assuming that color only works for text and doesn't work when you check 'show check-marks'? i cannot get the check-mark to display in anything but green.
The check mark is an Image (Icon)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:52 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
did it (yes,no with no color values in the color field) and the drop-down shows 'empty,empty,x' but the 2nd empty puts a green check-mark in the field. works fine except for the drop-down display missing the check-mark.
I am confused. Are you saying that when you edit a cell on the library view, you see three lines in the selection drop-down box, the first 2 blank and the third containing an x? If so, then something is very broken.

Attached is an image of what I see, along with an image of the column setup. What is different for you?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.png
Views:	340
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	75410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.png
Views:	401
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	75411  
Old 08-12-2011, 02:57 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, you are correct.

For completeness, there are at least two other ways you can achieve something similar to what (I think) you want.

1) use real yes/no columns and create saved searches in the tag browser to search them.

2) create a composite custom column (column made from other columns) with the template {#yesnoColumnName}. Check the "Show in tag browser" box. Hide the composite column on the library view. You will have the "real" yes/no column on the library view, and a text equivalent on the tags browser.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:48 PM   #11
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool just the drop-down is funky

Quote:
I am confused. Are you saying that when you edit a cell on the library view, you see three lines in the selection drop-down box, the first 2 blank and the third containing an x? If so, then something is very broken.

Attached is an image of what I see, along with an image of the column setup. What is different for you?
in my 'empty,empty,x' drop-down the 'x' is a red circle with a white x in it (like the standard yes,no column) the blank above the x yields a green check-mark (also like the standard yes,no column) and the top blank yields a blank (also like the standard yes,no column). so it all works just fine, just the drop-down is funky.

Last edited by alansplace; 08-12-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:53 PM   #12
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool green in one column, red it another and blue in another

Quote:
Yes, you are correct.

For completeness, there are at least two other ways you can achieve something similar to what (I think) you want.

1) use real yes/no columns and create saved searches in the tag browser to search them.

2) create a composite custom column (column made from other columns) with the template {#yesnoColumnName}. Check the "Show in tag browser" box. Hide the composite column on the library view. You will have the "real" yes/no column on the library view, and a text equivalent on the tags browser.
i just wanted the green check-mark to be green in one column, red it another and blue in another. but it's ok if that's not attainable.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #13
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
in my 'empty,empty,x' drop-down the 'x' is a red circle with a white x in it (like the standard yes,no column) the blank above the x yields a green check-mark (also like the standard yes,no column) and the top blank yields a blank (also like the standard yes,no column). so it all works just fine, just the drop-down is funky.
I remain confused. My problem is that the code should not be able to do what you are describing. There is (in theory) no way to get an icon into the drop-down box of an enumeration column (text with fixed set of values). There is also no way to get two empty values. The fact that you are seeing this means either a) we aren't talking about the same thing, b) calibre is seriously broken, or c) there are interactions that I don't understand. The last one is the most probable, but I wrote this code and I don't see how it can happen.

Can you post screen captures of your column definition and the open drop-down box?
Old 08-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #14
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool odd

Quote:
I remain confused. My problem is that the code should not be able to do what you are describing. There is (in theory) no way to get an icon into the drop-down box of an enumeration column (text with fixed set of values). There is also no way to get two empty values. The fact that you are seeing this means either a) we aren't talking about the same thing, b) calibre is seriously broken, or c) there are interactions that I don't understand. The last one is the most probable, but I wrote this code and I don't see how it can happen.

Can you post screen captures of your column definition and the open drop-down box?
well, i went to calibre to get the screen shots and it no longer displayed as i'd previously described. sorry instead i got 'empty,yes,no which yields blank, green check, red x.

guess my computer needed a good nights sleep as did i.

Last edited by alansplace; 08-12-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #15
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks for trying.

There is *something* happening. Might be some 'undocumented functionality' in the graphics toolkit (aka a bug), or it might be something I did. Thank you for the alert, because now I can keep an eye out for similar events and try to find a pattern.