Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-31-2010, 07:50 AM   #1
shelties4me
shelties4me began at the beginning.

Device: Jet Book
New Kindle, Nook, Kobo

I'm looking for an E-ink reader and was about to walk into Barnes and Noble and buy a Nook when I saw this forum and read about the Kobo and now the new Kindle coming out. I have a 5" Jetbook, whick I do like but it's hard to read in the evening, and since prices are coming down, want to get an E-ink book now. Had my mind made-up until yesterday and now I'm really leaning towards pre-ordering the Kindle.
I loved the look and feel of the Kobo and it's abilty to read library books and use only Calibre. It also uses an SD card like my Jetbook, but that's not really of importance to me as I'll never have more than 50 or so books books stored on my reader. The page turns seemed irritatingly slow and the only reason I was able to see reader in operation was another customer had one in the store asking for help.....
I saw a Sony 600 at Best Buy, but could not read for the glare and found the text blurred, so nixed that one right off. While there saw a Nook and went on to research it more so walked next door to Barnes and Noble. I don't need Wifi or 3g, my iphone does all of that stuff. I just want to read. The Nook seemed to have the best clarity of text of them all and had a much faster page turn than the Kobo. The sales person thought it would read DRM books, but was not sure.
Now, I"ve read of the new features and great screen clarity on the new Kindle wifi coming out in August and am seriously considering waiting for it.
My daughter's Kindle 2 has been bulletproof and she loves it... I guess alot of us are facing this dilemma right now with the new untried Kindle about to come out at a great price.. Thoughts from any other shoppers? It's weekend and have to keep my car away from Barnes and Noble. The instant gratifiation of walking out with a Nook over pre-ordering is very tempting.
shelties4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:21 AM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
you can test drive the Kobo and the Nook, and even the Kindle 2 which the Kindle 3 is going to be basically the same thing.

the only way to know is to try them out.

I tried out both the Kindle and the Nook and it was a no brainer for me. The nook was just so much more enjoyable all around.

Last edited by boswd; 07-31-2010 at 09:11 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
If you want to borrow e-books from the public library, buy the Nook. The WiFi version is inexpensive and it has a lot of neat features that no other e-reader has. You won't be disappointed.

You can always order the Kindle3 when it comes out, which I'm thinking of possibly doing. There's nothing wrong with having multiple e-readers in the family, especially when the price is so reasonable.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:34 AM   #4
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... and even the Kindle 2 which the Kindle 3 is going to be basically the same thing ...

That is a gross simplification ... better battery life, lighter weight, better keyboard and controller, enhanced screen, increased memory - you cannot really say the Kindle2 and Kindle3 are "basically the same thing."

Last edited by clintbradford; 07-31-2010 at 01:02 PM.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I started out with a Jetbook, too. (Actually, the Jetbook Lite.) I decided I wanted to try an e-ink display in my next reader, so I got a Sony Pocket Reader. I like it a lot, too. Then, I had a friend's Nook for a while. Loved the clarity of display on it, but the interface wasn't to my liking. I prefer buttons to the touchscreen at the bottom. THEN, I got a K2. I had always thought I didn't want a kindle because quite frankly there just seems to be just too much space around the screen, you know? And I didn't think I wanted the keyboard.

I was mistaken, on all counts. I love having the keyboard. I also like that I can actually pick it up securely without having to put a finger or thumbprint on the screen, which always seems to be a problem for me on readers that are mostly screen on the front. I love just hovering in front of a word and seeing the definition pop up at the bottom of the screen. I love my collections. I love the huge array of font sizes available, at the touch of a button. I love the easy slider to put it to sleep. I love being able to subscribe to my local paper and having it pop up each morning. I love being able to stop reading for a moment and check my e-mail, wherever I am.

So, yes, I'm a kindle convert, and if I were in the market right now I'd pre-order the K3 in a heartbeat. At the price I don't think you can go wrong, and you can always send it back within the first 30 days if you don't like it. And of course, always try out all the readers that you can. I have a fondness for gadgets as you can tell by my avatar. :-)

Last edited by bjones6416; 07-31-2010 at 09:58 AM. Reason: typo
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 02:59 PM   #6
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
>> ... and even the Kindle 2 which the Kindle 3 is going to be basically the same thing ...

That is a gross simplification ... better battery life, lighter weight, better keyboard and controller, enhanced screen, increased memory - you cannot really say the Kindle2 and Kindle3 are "basically the same thing."
I was talking in terms of functionality. the new Kindle just moved a couple of buttons etc, going into target or if a friend has a kindle 2 playing around with that would give them a very good idea of how the new kindle will operate.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:13 PM   #7
shelties4me

Well Betty, I like the way you think. I'm right behind you in collecting.. I love toys also. I pre-ordered the K3 from Amazon this morning and walked out of B & N with a Nook before lunch...It is now all charged and working very nicely. I love the clear bright (though nothing is as clear and bright as my I-phone running Stanza) and fast page turns almost like the Jetbook. The Nook is quite lovely and seems to run circles around the Kobo, though I did iike it's light weight. I have 3 epubs in there now and will spend the evening reading or playing Sudoku...I have not registered it or turned on it's wi-fi and have it in airplane mode, though I have a wifi home and may not ever...It rather rubs me the wrong way to have to keep my VISA on file with Barnes and Noble just to be able to shop and register the unit. When you read of all the hacks going on with the Nooks and I-Pads, one thinks twice. Thanks for the advice forum members. I would probably have bought a Kobo without this research.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:20 PM   #8
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... I would probably have bought a Kobo without this research ...

I researched longer and more thoroughly than you - and I bought a Kobo, which I am enjoying.

I appreciated your informative post - right up until that last sentence ... (grin)
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:50 PM   #9
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelties4me View Post
Well Betty, I like the way you think. I'm right behind you in collecting.. I love toys also. I pre-ordered the K3 from Amazon this morning and walked out of B & N with a Nook before lunch...It is now all charged and working very nicely. I love the clear bright (though nothing is as clear and bright as my I-phone running Stanza) and fast page turns almost like the Jetbook. The Nook is quite lovely and seems to run circles around the Kobo, though I did iike it's light weight. I have 3 epubs in there now and will spend the evening reading or playing Sudoku...I have not registered it or turned on it's wi-fi and have it in airplane mode, though I have a wifi home and may not ever...It rather rubs me the wrong way to have to keep my VISA on file with Barnes and Noble just to be able to shop and register the unit. When you read of all the hacks going on with the Nooks and I-Pads, one thinks twice. Thanks for the advice forum members. I would probably have bought a Kobo without this research.
Shoot, you'll probably have a Kobo TOO by the time you're finished! I get it, because I truly love all my toys. Have fun, and report back!
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:32 PM   #10
shelties4me

Sorry, Cliff in reading different threads, I see your are a Kobo fan. There were alot of things I really liked about it and almost chose it. I loved the lightness and where your hands hold the reader and the rubberized back is a great idea. There was a woman doing demos at Borders yesterday and the only negative I found was it was so very slooooooooooooooooow. Really slow, to load, to turn on, to turn off and page turns were painfully slow.
It had a nice drag and drop system along with a removable SD card along with the Border's library and download system was wifi, that I didnt really understand and I don't think the demo person did either. I don't think it played MP3 players, but I would gladly give that up for that light weight construction. I think I'll stick with this one until Kindle comes and give one to my daughter this summer.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:45 AM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Enjoy your new readers.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, kobo, nook