Notices

Old 07-25-2006, 08:41 PM   #1
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
Ethernet connection

I realise this is ridiculously old-fashioned, but -

I don't have a wireless network at home. I don't even have I wired network.
What I have is a PC with a network card and a crossover cable which I thought would work for the Iliad - but it doesn't. Spent all day tinkering with it, can't get it to work.

Does anybody here have the same setup and it's working?

Or do I seriously have to hang out at Starbucks for my software updates?
Help!
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:56 AM   #2
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GreatGonzo
I realise this is ridiculously old-fashioned, but -

I don't have a wireless network at home. I don't even have I wired network.
What I have is a PC with a network card and a crossover cable which I thought would work for the Iliad - but it doesn't. Spent all day tinkering with it, can't get it to work.

Does anybody here have the same setup and it's working?
The problem is that the iliad NEEDS a DHCP server. You'll have to install a dhcp server in your machine to make it work.

And then, you have to configure the PC to do NAT/Masquerading, or install a proxy server if it's easier for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GreatGonzo
Or do I seriously have to hang out at Starbucks for my software updates?
Help!
I think that with the two things above, it should work (I used ethernet, a dhcp server and masquerading rules for mine; at first I had problems because I didn't had a dhcp server running but after I configured dhcpd, it worked).
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2006, 02:04 AM   #3
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica
The problem is that the iliad NEEDS a DHCP server. You'll have to install a dhcp server in your machine to make it work
In OS 2.5b you can enter specific network data to connect to a network. Dont know if it works, havent tested it yet.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote