Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 09-19-2009, 05:36 AM   #1
JohnDoe
JohnDoe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hi everybody - the new guy in town :)

Heya everyone!

Just registered to the site - looks very cool!

I'm gonna receive my first ebook reader next week (Sony PRS-505), so I guess these forums will rapidly become my second home
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:21 AM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi JohnDoe and welcome to MobileRead. And congrats on your new toy. I've had a 505 since Jan 08 and really like it and have found MR to be a great resource.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome to MR!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome to MR!!

I have the Sony 505, love it, and take it everywhere with me!

Have you starting downloading all the free books from right here on MR?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:03 AM   #5
JohnDoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Have you starting downloading all the free books from right here on MR?
Yup!

This forum is a GREAT resource!
Advert
Old 09-20-2009, 05:04 AM   #6
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Hi JD! Welcome to the MR Formum. I have a Sony 505 too and love it. I read more now than ever before! Remember that there are some nice folks here who will be happy to answer questions for you, provide advice if you want it, and offer friendship too!

How about telling us a little bit about your reading preferences. Can you tell us your favorite books or authors? What genre do you enjoy?

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:06 AM   #7
JohnDoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
How about telling us a little bit about your reading preferences. Can you tell us your favorite books or authors? What genre do you enjoy?
Well, let's see...

I love fantasy, both "classical" (Tolkien, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Michael Moorcock) and "modern" (Richelle Mead for example), science fiction (all of it!), thrillers (Stephen King, Michael Crichton), with incursions into crime novels (Kathy Reichs, Jeffery Deaver), pseudo-historical (Ellis Peters), cyberpunk (William Gibson, Bruce Sterling), and a gazillion other genres and authors.
I'm also partial to "old time classics", like Edgar Rice Burroughs, Herman Melville, etc.

Basically, I do read quite a lot, from Tolkien to Dan Brown, from Arthur Conan Doyle to Isaac Asimov, from Stephen King to Warhammer 40K sci-fi... getting an ebook reader was a necessity - my house is literally *exploding* with books!
Old 09-20-2009, 07:16 AM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Welcome! The 505 is the best!

Be sure and check out Google Books, Baen, Feedbooks.

I just read At the Earth's Core (my second e-novel read - Feedbooks) and have Pellucidar in the queue.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:25 AM   #9
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
Well, let's see...

I love [SNIP] cyberpunk (William Gibson, Bruce Sterling),
Thanks for the reply!

I'm not familiar with these two guys though... Would you recommend a title or two to get me started with them?

Stitchawl
Old 09-20-2009, 12:18 PM   #10
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Neuromancer or Burning Chrome by Gibson.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:11 PM   #11
joobies
Addict
joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 1, Sony PRS-505
Hi, John Doe!

Don't forget to check out your local library for ebooks that can be checked out to your Sony 505. I just discovered these and am having a great time with them.
joobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:13 PM   #12
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by joobies View Post
Hi, John Doe!

Don't forget to check out your local library for ebooks that can be checked out to your Sony 505. I just discovered these and am having a great time with them.
For sure! I have Dan Brown's and E. L. Doctorow's latest books checked out right now!
Old 09-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #13
JohnDoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Neuromancer or Burning Chrome by Gibson.
Yeah, definitely.

Neuromancer is (IMHO) a fantastic book, with the particular, dystopian view of the future and the Net which created the bases for the whole cyberpunk genre. It also won both the Hugo (1984) and the Nebula (1985).

Burning Chrome is a collection of short stories. The most well-known is Johnny Mnemonic, which inspired the movie with Keanu Reeves.

The rest of Gibson's production is (again, IMHO) of a somewhat lesser readability, increasingly convoluted and much less enjoyable.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:38 PM   #14
mikemc2
Zealot
mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505,Kindle 3,Nook HD+,iPod Touch,Kindle PW2
Welcome! I just got a 505 a few weeks ago and MR is my first stop if I'm looking for information, the people here are very helpful.
mikemc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:24 PM   #15
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Thanks, folks!

Stitchawl