Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 04-03-2009, 03:10 AM   #1
etherspin
Connoisseur
etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
cool gadget for charging cybook on the go

its a mp4 player with gameboy colour and NES emulation which folds out into a double solar panel with USB output for charging phones,e-readers etc !

http://www.chinavasion.com/product_i...power-station/

this could go nicely in my travel bag with the cybook
etherspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
crAss
Connoisseur
crAss began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
It's really funny because by accident this morning I landed for the first time at the chinavasion website and I was tempted and bought the bellow gadget.

http://www.chinavasion.com/product_i...-power-supply/

It is a small photovoltaic cell and a battery pack of 1300 mAh. I bought it mostly for my mobile phone but of course I will use it for the cybook as well!
I will write a small review when I get it in my hands.
crAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2009, 04:43 AM   #3
Maggie
Maggie began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Solar charger

The above posts link to 2 separate solar chargers. The Solar Powered MP4 Player 2GB - Mobile Power Station outputs 5 volts; the cheaper Mobile Phone Solar Charger - Portable Green Power Supply outputs 5.5 volts. The Cybook's own charger outputs at 5 volts. Does anyone know if a 5.5 volt output will damage the Cybook? Obviously I don't want to buy something which is cheaper which will damage my Cybook. Thanks.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
crAss
Connoisseur
crAss began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
It is true that the USB 2.0 spec states that voltage should be 5 V +/- 0.25 V and the supplied 5.5 V is a bit too high. I have not yet found a problem with 5.5 V with any device since I am using my mobile phone mini-usb charger, which also outputs 5.5 V, for all my devices . Usually problems arise when using lower than spec voltages. Some devices might have a built-in overvoltage protection and thus not compatible with these chargers. The cybook is not one of these devices.
The problem with this battery pack and the cybook is that the mini-usb plug is too thick to fit. So out of the box this is not working. You need to remove some plastic from the plug. With a sharp knife it is a matter of 1-2 minutes before you have it ready. Just do not overdo it and reveal the cabling.
For its price it's a really cool gadget and can save you when on vacation/camping etc where you could need some extra charge with no access to a power outlet. It does not look like a 7 euro toy, but feels more expensive. Just to mention though that you really need a clear day to completely charge the battery pack using the PV cell and it needs the 5 hours it states to be charged from an AC outlet. Cool thing is that even if it is empty you can use the directly produced electricity by the PV cell to run any device with no actual energy been stored anywhere.
So Maggie I can tell you that I have no problem using the 5.5 V, but still I have to mention that this is out of spec...

Last edited by crAss; 04-26-2009 at 08:53 AM.
crAss is offline   Reply With Quote