Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Paperwhite's screen?
Yes 191 76.71%
No 58 23.29%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
iJn
iJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch
Paperwhite Owners: Are you happy with the screen?

Are you happy with the screen on your Paperwhite?

Last edited by iJn; 10-04-2012 at 03:14 PM.
iJn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Too early to tell. Mine has somewhat better contrast with the light off than my Touch, but not THAT much. I'm not seeing the blotches some are, but do see the light bleed/shadow at the bottom of the screen. I read a few chapters over my lunch hour and it didn't really bother me. What will decide things for me though is how it looks when I'm reading at home where the light is generally lower than it is here at work under a dozen overhead florescent bulbs.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Coming from the nook glow - definitely much happier with the screen. The contrast is significantly better, and the bar of light around the edge is gone.

Coming from the new black kindle non-touch..kind of expected better contrast. On the black nontouch, the contrast is superb and the screen white, while its more of a grey on the paperwhite. Maybe I was expecting too much, but come on - its named paperwhite for god sakes!

For the record, I do see the light pattern at the bottom (the blotchiness), but I just think that's part of the tech at the moment rather than a defect. Vids of the kobo seem to have it as well, but again it's steps better than how the nook implemented the light.
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
haroldgh
Enthusiast
haroldgh began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
With the frontlight off the screen is nearly indistinguishable from my old kindle touch. It's supposedly higher resolution, but who can really tell with text?

With the frontlight on, and I only keep it at half intensity, the screen is markedly superior-- the contrast is just an incredible improvement.
haroldgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Thrilled. With the light adjusted properly it is a HUGE step forward over my Touch.
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldgh View Post
With the frontlight off the screen is nearly indistinguishable from my old kindle touch. It's supposedly higher resolution, but who can really tell with text?

With the frontlight on, and I only keep it at half intensity, the screen is markedly superior-- the contrast is just an incredible improvement.
Try one of the new fonts. The new fonts are only usable because of the higher resolution. 'Fine details'. The older fonts don't have much fine detail (intentionally) so they won't look that much better/different.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I'm sure there are some with bad screens, but part of the problem may be too many high expectations. I think some may have been expecting or hoping for something comparable to a backlit LCD screen. I was just expecting something better than the nook.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I'm sure there are some with bad screens, but part of the problem may be too many high expectations. I think some may have been expecting or hoping for something comparable to a backlit LCD screen. I was just expecting something better than the nook.
Agreed.

Coming from the nook glow, this is definitely a step up.
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #9
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
I need to spend more time with it but so far adjusting the brightness up makes the screen look great. I can see the weird lighting on the bottom when using in the dark but I think I'll get used to it.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #10
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
I have noticed the LEDs cast a shadow, but the shadow(s) don't even reach the bottom of the last line of text. I don't notice it while I'm reading.

So, it's and enthusiastic yes from me. I really like this new PW Kindle.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #11
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
My Kindle screen came with a tiny, but noticeable hole in the lower left corner. This is the first Kindle I've ever gotten that wasn't flawless right out of the box.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
My Kindle screen came with a tiny, but noticeable hole in the lower left corner. This is the first Kindle I've ever gotten that wasn't flawless right out of the box.
A physical hole, like a pin hole?

Now that I've been able to play with it in various lighting I can say I'm happy so far overall. Post a few quick pics in the review thread in case anyone wants to see them (not the greatest pics)...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=209

Last edited by AnemicOak; 10-02-2012 at 08:18 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #13
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Quote:
A physical hole, like a pin hole?
Yep. The Kindle version of a glow screen gets holes too.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #14
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
For what it's worth, reviews (and customer images) of the lighting problems are starting to roll in and get upvoted on amazon.com. Will be interesting to see where this goes.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #15
Jeffrey.
Jeffrey. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jeffrey. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jeffrey. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jeffrey. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jeffrey. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
I believe (hope) my screen is defective.

Contrast adjusted, full brightness:

http://imgur.com/gzTN0

Does anyone else have this? The uneven coloring is so distracting it's driving me crazy. Note that the contrast exaggerates the bottom lighting. While reading it almost seems like smudges on the internal side of the screen.

I called Amazon about a replacement... They said it won't arrive until the 18th.
Jeffrey. is offline   Reply With Quote