Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #271
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
I have never needed to carry more than 10 books on mine let alone 1000 so SD slot is meaningless to me. I am happy there are people who like Kobo....not that it is a Canadian company but because I like that people shop in Canada.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #272
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
I would LOVE to own a Kobo but they don't measure up.
Care to elaborate? Measure up to what? Slower processor than your desktop, smaller screen than your TV, clunkier than your iTouch..?
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #273
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
*and* is (almost) available all over the place.
Geez, did you have to rub it in?
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:01 PM   #274
tnforpaul45
Zealot
tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle DX
I would LOVE to own a Kobo Glo but for some reason the "Free Market" ends at the U.S. Border
tnforpaul45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:06 PM   #275
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnforpaul45 View Post
I would LOVE to own a Kobo Glo but for some reason the "Free Market" ends at the U.S. Border
Guess we could say the same thing about the Kindle Paperwhite? (amongst other stuff...)

Last edited by Cdesja5; 10-11-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #276
XrXca
Avid Reader
XrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura about

Device: Auro H2O, Kobo Glo x 2, Asus Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
Geez, did you have to rub it in?
If your desperate, Chapters (chapters.indigo.ca) will ship to the States,
they'd probably be more than willing to take your money but you'd lose a bit on exchange

After YEARS of getting hammered on exchange for anything coming in from the states, it's nice to be on the other side of the equation.
XrXca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:38 PM   #277
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@XrXca; Are you SURE they will ship to the US?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:43 PM   #278
XrXca
Avid Reader
XrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura about

Device: Auro H2O, Kobo Glo x 2, Asus Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
@XrXca; Are you SURE they will ship to the US?
Not 100% for eReaders, but I've had them drop ship other stuff to a friends place in Montana (was still chapter.ca at that time)
Looking in the account settings they allow Canada, United States and Other for primary and shipping addresses, and they do give shipping details for US addresses under the Shipping link on the bottom of their web page.

Last edited by XrXca; 10-11-2012 at 11:50 PM.
XrXca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:07 AM   #279
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
If your desperate, Chapters (chapters.indigo.ca) will ship to the States, they'd probably be more than willing to take your money but you'd lose a bit on exchange

After YEARS of getting hammered on exchange for anything coming in from the states, it's nice to be on the other side of the equation.
Does this mean you don't share my pain?
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #280
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I'd send a Kobo to the US for a future package forwarding favour (nothing illicit of course )
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #281
datalossfs
Ebook Addict
datalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glow
Got my Kobo Glo today from WH Smiths.

I bought the Black model, I set it up from home via my desktop on Windows 7 (already had Kobo Desktop Installed) No problems with installing latest firmware, syncing my books or finding my wifi.

Overall very impressed with build quality of the device and it's much better and of more solid construction than my creaky Kindle Keyboard (I have noticed one really tiny bright speck on top layer of screen with light on - see bright pixels thread)

Touch Screen is very responsive and the light is very even across the screen when turned on. Page turns are fast (no ghosting when reading) Text is crisp and clear.

As others have noted the casing and the back seem to attract finger prints but easy to wipe away.
datalossfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #282
ijdod
ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
First impression: Neat looking device, nice crisp display. Installation was fairly straightforward. On using it, not sure if I like the interface too much as I'm used to the very crude but effective 'directory' style listing on my Boox. Now I essentially have this huge pile of books to wade through. Quite possible I'm missing something here.
ijdod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #283
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijdod View Post
First impression: Neat looking device, nice crisp display. Installation was fairly straightforward. On using it, not sure if I like the interface too much as I'm used to the very crude but effective 'directory' style listing on my Boox. Now I essentially have this huge pile of books to wade through. Quite possible I'm missing something here.
Set up some "shelves", they will take the place of your folders....
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #284
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by XrXca View Post
Not 100% for eReaders, but I've had them drop ship other stuff to a friends place in Montana (was still chapter.ca at that time)
Looking in the account settings they allow Canada, United States and Other for primary and shipping addresses, and they do give shipping details for US addresses under the Shipping link on the bottom of their web page.
I tried to order one, but received this error: "Unfortunately, we cannot ship Heavy, Extra Heavy or electronic items to the United States, and cannot ship any toy, gift or electronic items outside of Canada or the United States."

Nice try.
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #285
ijdod
ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Set up some "shelves", they will take the place of your folders....
Found the post related to that, and management of those through Calibre. While far from ideal, it's far better.
ijdod is offline   Reply With Quote