Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
rainio
Connoisseur
rainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: none
First impressions on the GLo

Picked one up at WHSmith just now.
Very light, resolution is fantastic (though don't have a different ereader to compare). Nice design
Connected to wifi without a problem.
Responsiveness is ok - what's expected really. Page turns are slightly slower than I expected, though it is my first ereader and I was using a Nexus 7 to read books prior.
You can change the page turn/full refresh rate from every page to once every 6 pages. I found that on every 6 pages there's barely any ghosting.

PDF's are shown with quite good clarity, though zooming in is a pain (need to enter the menu at the bottom, select zoom then select zoom level) rather than pinch/zooming. Page turn speeds with PDF's are fine.

The screen whiteness is quite good and I don't expect I'll be using the light unless it's dark. The light seems to be a marginally brighter at the top though it's not much of a problem. The light is also a little "cold".

All in all, as long as rival ereaders don't have significantly faster page turns it's a good choice.

Oh, and there's a basic web browser.

I hope the next firmware simplifies pdf zooming and allows the status bar at the bottom with the page number to be customised/removed.

EDIT: Just crashed whilst reading an epub. Had to reset using the little hole at the bottom. Hmmm. May have to sticky tape a paperclip to the back for emergencies...

Last edited by rainio; 10-01-2012 at 08:34 AM.
rainio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
This is a silly question, but how much charge did the reader have when you took it right out of the box?

I'm hoping the Chapters near us is putting them out today, I'd really like to get my hands on one. From everything I've seen, it looks like the KG could be a genuine contender to the Kindle Paperwhite.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
rainio
Connoisseur
rainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

There was a 75% charge from the box. I think they've cottoned on that no one wants to wait for their new toy to charge before fiddling with it!
Old 10-01-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainio View Post
The light is also a little "cold".
Thank you for sharing your first impressions! I am really interested in how "cold" the light is. Especially vs. the Kindle Paperwhite.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It's interesting (to me anyway) that the battle between all of the readers seems, in part, to be how white the screens look. Cold is probably the best way to make the screen look very white. IMO, it is not the greatest reading experience. I'm not fond of grey,but bright white does not seem so great either.

What firmware is your glo running?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
rainio
Connoisseur

Firmware: 2.1.4 (r43703, 10/1/12)
Updated automatically when first logged in (need a kobo account, annoyingly, to use the device).

The contrast seems perfectly acceptable without the light on, the the text is crisper than the computer monitor I'm using now.

EDIT:
Had another look at the light: there's a faint black/grey strip at the bottom of the screen. This is strange as apparently the lights are at the bottom, whilst while using it the screen has a lighter patch at the very top and a grey line at the bottom. Defective device?

Last edited by rainio; 10-01-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The lighting is LED, right? Some LEDs can tend towards blue and some look white, but a warmer white. I'm curious if the Glo and the Paperwhite are the same colour when lit.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Well, since we are not getting the Paperwhite anytime soon in Canada, I won't be able to compare them side-by-side. I'd be surprised to see much difference.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #9
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
It's interesting (to me anyway) that the battle between all of the readers seems, in part, to be how white the screens look. Cold is probably the best way to make the screen look very white. IMO, it is not the greatest reading experience. I'm not fond of grey,but bright white does not seem so great either.

What firmware is your glo running?
Mine's on 2.1.4 though it did do an upgrade on first setup so I'm not sure what version came shipped with it. I'm holding off on opinions on the light until I try it out tonight, but initial impressions are that it can be adjusted well enough to look good in most situations.
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:58 AM   #10
rainio
Connoisseur

Simond, please let us know if you have the grey bar at the bottom of the screen.

Though I think the light is "cold", it is more grey than blue, if that makes sense. Perfectly readable, though different to having a tungsten/lightbulb lighting a page.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #11
Jez_terr
Jez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad, PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
Just got my Kobo Glo :-)

The light seems to me to be quite a bright bluish white. I haven't tried it in a dark room yet, but the contrast been background and font seem quite pale and dark respectively, even straight out of the box.

The light brightness menu can be set to clear, as opposed to the black bar that was shown on the videos.

The textured feel of the screen (slightly gritty) as opposed to the smooth glass of my PRS-T1 will take a little bit of getting used to.

The instructions in the box were practically none existent. Haven't worked out yet how to activate ADE on it or for ADE software to see the Glo.

Most of my initial issues have been down to the different user interface to the Sony ;-)
Jez_terr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #12
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Good to see info on this

Anyone with a touch able to compare them

Speed of operation/different features or anything else
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:33 AM   #13
evelynne_r
evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle
I have a Touch and my Kobo Glo is expected to arrive tomorrow. I will certainly be comparing the two.
evelynne_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #14
treadlightly
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez_terr View Post
The light brightness menu can be set to clear, as opposed to the black bar that was shown on the videos.
That's great news, thanks for mentioning it! Have fun with your new toy
Old 10-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #15
Jez_terr
Jez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad, PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
Aha! My problems with ADE and my Glo were simply down to user error. I hadn't updated to the latest ADE software...
Jez_terr is offline   Reply With Quote