Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Bezel colours on Kobo Glo?

[We need a Glo prefix here!]

Just a quick question - can anyone confirm the bezel colours on the Kobo Glo? The slapdash cut 'n' paste job on the Collins site is showing them all with a black bezel.

Last edited by meeera; 11-24-2012 at 07:16 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
[We need a Glo prefix here!]
Request posted; see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...47&postcount=1
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Cheers PeterT.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #4
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Kobo's own website art shows a white front for the blue, pink, and grey backs. The black front is only on the all-black model. I like pink stuff, but I'm not sure I could adjust to a white front around what I'm reading.

http://merch.kobobooks.com/kobo_glo/...ew_stylish.png
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:20 AM   #5
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
I'm not sure I quite like the colours. If I get a Glo, I'd really miss my all-white Touch (yes, that back is white too... I haven't seen them advertised anywhere but where I got mine, I'm not sure how that happened, but I love it!)
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I'm not sure I quite like the colours. If I get a Glo, I'd really miss my all-white Touch (yes, that back is white too... I haven't seen them advertised anywhere but where I got mine, I'm not sure how that happened, but I love it!)
The all white Touch (pearl white) was definitely the best colour. My original was white and I didn't realize how good it was until I got an RMA black one. Now I have visible finger marks all over the bezel
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:56 AM   #7
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TongueTied View Post
The all white Touch (pearl white) was definitely the best colour. My original was white and I didn't realize how good it was until I got an RMA black one. Now I have visible finger marks all over the bezel
Agh how horrid! Sorry you lost your pearl white
Old 09-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #8
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
We assume that you are referring to the bezel - the part surrounding the screen.

A bevel is a sloping surface or edge.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #9
lkodk
Connoisseur
lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: PRS-505 + PRS-600 + PRS-T1 + Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by oj829 View Post
Kobo's own website art shows a white front for the blue, pink, and grey backs. The black front is only on the all-black model. I like pink stuff, but I'm not sure I could adjust to a white front around what I'm reading.

http://merch.kobobooks.com/kobo_glo/...ew_stylish.png
And here Kobo shows a white front on all of the models?!? Confused?
http://merch.kobobooks.com/magento/k...gn_stylish.png
lkodk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #10
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Having a white bezel around an e-ink screen substantially reduces the perceived contrast of the display, because your pupil contracts due to the increase in the total light to which it responds.

This means that the display background will appear darker than if you had a dark-colored bezel, which would allow your pupil to expand to compensate and thus appear as a lighter background on the page.

The net is that a white or silver (like Sony) bezel is a loser - worse for some than others, but never a good thing for an e-reader with a reflective display.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #11
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
The net is that a white or silver (like Sony) bezel is a loser - worse for some than others, but never a good thing for an e-reader with a reflective display.
Good thing Kobo's display isn't reflective then...
Old 09-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #12
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
Quote:
Having a white bezel around an e-ink screen substantially reduces the perceived contrast of the display, because your pupil contracts due to the increase in the total light to which it responds.

This means that the display background will appear darker than if you had a dark-colored bezel, which would allow your pupil to expand to compensate and thus appear as a lighter background on the page.

Good point, I've always liked darker bezels on my ereaders (I've ordered the black Glo to update my black T1), just didn't realise why before.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #13
EldRick
Evangelist

Quote:
Good thing Kobo's display isn't reflective
Nonsense.

All e-ink displays are reflective, even if there is front-lighting, such as on the Glo. A hardcopy book is reflective too. That is why they are easy on the eyes - they don't beam light at your face.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #14
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Nonsense.

All e-ink displays are reflective, even if there is front-lighting, such as on the Glo. A hardcopy book is reflective too. That is why they are easy on the eyes - they don't beam light at your face.
I think not reflective in the sense it's matted as opposed to gloss.

Big difference between the Sony crappy black glossy bevel and Kobo's matt black bevel.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #15
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
I ended up with a white/silver Touch and have wished for a darker bezel ever since. I'm thinking of buying a black case, to insert my Touch into, to moderate the effect of the darker (looking) screen. When this one wears out I'll get one with a dark bezel.
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote