Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-30-2010, 12:46 AM   #1
traponk
traponk began at the beginning.

Device: rooted e-ink Nook
Considering Rooting...What will I lose?

I've had my e-ink Nook since August 2010 and really love it, though I wish there was more I could do, like create text documents, have pdfs look better, play more games, read rss feeds, and other things that it appears NookDevs provides.

I really like the 1.5 firmware update from BN, especially the shelves & faster page turns. I also don't want to lose the ability to browse & download directly from the BN Nook Shop. If I root my Nook and add the latest NookDevs, will I lose the ability to browse & download from the BN Nook Shop? And is the reading done through a different app than on a nonrooted Nook, so that I would lose the faster page turns and possibly other book navigation like jumping to chapters? Will my magazine subscriptions through BN stop automatically downloading?

Basically, what will I lose if I root my Nook? And of what I lose, are the NookDev replacements equal to or better than the official Nook 1.5 firmware?
traponk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:31 AM   #2
sjkevin
Connoisseur
sjkevin is on a distinguished road

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by traponk View Post
Basically, what will I lose if I root my Nook?
Peace of mind, and your warranty. (And your nook, if you "brick" it; make sure you know which softroot procedure to use.)

The nookdevs softroot does not remove the B&N software. Reading and purchasing books are the exact same B&N programs; nookdevs did not replace or re-write them. You'll still be able to buy books, and you'll still have fast page turns.
sjkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
Shades
Zealot
Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: OnePlus 5T + @Voice, Nook 1st Ed.
Having a rooted nook means you can do more with it. Rooting it does not get rid of anything you already have. That said though, you will lose your warranty.

If you want to go through with rooting your nook, find out your nook's serial number. If it starts 1002 and below, then you can use the old method. If it is 1003, like mine, rooting it will be more difficult, complicated and risky, but still very doable.

1002 tutorial:
http://nookdevs.com/Softroot
(Note: There is a 2.5 rooted firmware now, which is the 1.5 official firmware for rooted nooks)

1003 rooting tutorials:

First, you have to downgrade from official 1.5.0:
http://nookdevs.com/User_talk:Naerymdan

With Router Method:
http://nookdevs.com/Applying_With_Details

No Router Method:
http://nookdevs.com/Rooting_New_Hardware_No_Router

Updating to 1.5.0 after rooting:
(Scroll down to "Update to 1.5")
http://nookdevs.com/User_talk:Naerymdan
Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:58 AM   #4
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
You won't lose anything, can get everything back if things go wrong, and will gain alot!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:44 AM   #5
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Define "alot"...
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #6
spec
Zealot
spec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtriever View Post
Define "alot"...
a town and nagar panchayat in the Ratlam district of Madhya Pradesh, India (definition)

spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:24 PM   #7
Number_6
Enthusiast
Number_6 doesn't litterNumber_6 doesn't litter

Device: Barnes and Noble Nook Wi-fi, Ectaco jetBookLite, Nokia N810, Nokia 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtriever View Post
Define "alot"...
A better browser, pdf viewer, media player with playlist, twitter client, FBReader support, crossword puzzles from the WSJ, NY Times, etc., note pad, calculator...just to name a few.

Last edited by Number_6; 12-01-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Number_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:44 AM   #8
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Thank you. That makes sense.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:29 AM   #9
traponk
traponk began at the beginning.

Device: rooted e-ink Nook
Thanks for the responses. They helped convince me that rooting was the right way to go, so I went for it, and I love my roted nook! It can do most of the things I wished it could do, like download podcasts & audiobooks, take notes, and play better games. As far as I can tell, nothing I used to have went away, I just got more features that should have been on there in the first place!
traponk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:50 PM   #10
exodus1999
Enthusiast
exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook classic, nook color
grats man, you have entered awesomeness! lol theres only one more thing we need (flash on 2.2) and im a happy camper.
exodus1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:07 PM   #11
Dizmatic
Reader
Dizmatic began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
My rooted Nook Color has so much more appeal now. It is great to have all the apps running. It makes for a nice tablet.
Dizmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:54 PM   #12
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Someone is going to do serious damage following instructions for the original nook on their color nook.

I am getting very tired of wading through too many posts where it is not clear whether the poster is referencing black and white or color.

How much work would it really be to set up a different forum anyway??? The little cute "color" tag is just not working.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:22 PM   #13
s52m3
Enthusiast
s52m3 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am still puzzled in regard to being able to upgrade to the latest android operating system. My understanding that rooting is not the same as installing a new OS, it simply finds a way to get super user access to the existing OS. So being rooted doesn't mean you can now install Android 2.2 or 2.3 to gain flash etc. Am I correct on this? I really want flash support, so would waiting for 2.2 upgrade before rooting be a smart thing to do?
s52m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:42 PM   #14
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
Someone is going to do serious damage following instructions for the original nook on their color nook.

I am getting very tired of wading through too many posts where it is not clear whether the poster is referencing black and white or color.

How much work would it really be to set up a different forum anyway??? The little cute "color" tag is just not working.
How is it anyone's fault if people don't know how to read? The OP said in his very first sentence, "I've had my e-ink Nook since August 2010..."

What exactly is confusing and tiring about this thread?
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:59 AM   #15
Ken Stuart
The Knight Who Says Nook!
Ken Stuart began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color ; dead Clie NR70 ; living Rocket REB1100 ; QY70 (pictured)
Evidently there are no australians in this Forum...
Ken Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook, nookdevs, root