Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
Lofwyr23
Poker of bits and books
Lofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Tolino Vision 5
[CC] - Linux wireless connection issue

Hello everyone. Long time reader, first time poster here.

First of all, thank you for creating such an awesome piece of software. Made my eReading so much easier.

Second:

I've been using my Android devices in connection with CC and Calibre quite successfully as eReaders. However, now that I swapped my Win7 system for a FEdora installation, I ran into an issue with the wireless connection functionality on calibre's end.

I setup calibre fresh from scratch, did the wireless connection, and now it's kind of "stuck".

Calibre says it's there,CC says it's not. Whenever I try to end the connection via calibre's gui I get this error. I tried to "reinstall" calibre via rm -rf /opt/calibre/, but to no avail.

Some more details:

Calibre version: 1.2.0
CC Version:
  • GTab: 3.1.0
  • Razr I: 3.1.0

Yum info python
Lofwyr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I have limited experience with Linux, have you installed calibre via the binary install method described on calibre's download page? If not remove calibre and install via Binary install described. Repository installs are not supported.

If you did install via the prescribed method then you'll have to wait for someone with first hand knowledge to stop by and help you out.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:27 AM   #3
Lofwyr23
Poker of bits and books
Lofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I have limited experience with Linux, have you installed calibre via the binary install method described on calibre's download page?
Tried that, repo, source, and ended up with trying the binary install again, to no avail. A reboot doesn't help either.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:55 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
As far as I can tell from looking at the code, your machine does not know the ip address for its own name. My guess is that the name is not in /etc/hosts. I don't know how one specifies the host name in that distro, but whatever it is must either be known to DNS or in /etc/hosts.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:18 AM   #5
Lofwyr23
Poker of bits and books

Thanks, adding the machine's hostname (Which wasn't set at install... :shakes fist at Fedora: ) to /etc/hosts fixed it.

-EDIT- Okay, that was too early... now it says (roughly translated): Driver for wireless connection wasn't started: couldn't bind port 9090

Dropping the port setting,m it starts, but still isn't seen.

I've opened up a port in the firewall, but that didn't fix either...

Last edited by Lofwyr23; 09-09-2013 at 04:33 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:23 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lofwyr23 View Post
Thanks, adding the machine's hostname (Which wasn't set at install... :shakes fist at Fedora: ) to /etc/hosts fixed it.

-EDIT- Okay, that was too early... now it says (roughly translated): Driver for wireless connection wasn't started: couldn't bind port 9090

Dropping the port setting,m it starts, but still isn't seen.

I've opened up a port in the firewall, but that didn't fix either...
That means that some other program, possibly another instance of calibre, has already used port 9090. Alternatively, some security setting prevents calibre from using the port.

Try netstat -p -a and look down the list to see if port 9090 is already used. Alternatively, try a different number such as 9345 or 10034. If calibre can use one of those then allow it through your firewall.

If you drop the port setting then you get a random port that almost certainly will not be opened through your firewall unless you have an application-based firewall and not an IPTables-based one.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:29 AM   #7
Lofwyr23
Poker of bits and books

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
That means that some other program, possibly another instance of calibre, has already used port 9090. Alternatively, some security setting prevents calibre from using the port.

Try netstat -p -a and look down the list to see if port 9090 is already used. Alternatively, try a different number such as 9345 or 10034. If calibre can use one of those then allow it through your firewall.

If you drop the port setting then you get a random port that almost certainly will not be opened through your firewall unless you have an application-based firewall and not an IPTables-based one.
Assigned 22000 -EDIT-, which fixed the port error, but CC still doesn't want to connect to the library. Firewall opened with upd AND tcp, I don't know if SELinux interferes, tbh.

-EDIT2- Okay, nothing changed, except a, rather unwanted, reboot. Now it works...

Last edited by Lofwyr23; 09-09-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I'm glad it working for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lofwyr23 View Post
-EDIT2- Okay, nothing changed, except a, rather unwanted, reboot. Now it works...
No one ever wants to hear those words from customer support, but often "reboot and try again" just works.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #9
Lofwyr23
Poker of bits and books

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I'm glad it working for you.

No one ever wants to hear those words from customer support, but often "reboot and try again" just works.
TBH, I hate the "reboot and pray" mindset windows pushes :E But yeah, sometimes... you gotta jump off that cliff.