Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
abeonis
eBook DIYer
abeonis began at the beginning.

Device: K4, KF HD 8.9, Readium
Word > DocToHtml > Sigil

I am surprised there are only 2 very old threads in this forum speaking about DocToHtml. I just had a look at their documentation. The tool does every thing I need including a batch mode and command line support.

I have noticed in the example they provide that the HTML code generated is pretty clean and could easily passed through a battery of regex SR. For instance ...

The tool creates :
Code:
<h3><a name="_Analysis_document">A</a>nalysis document</h3>
I will have to modify the HTML:
Code:
<h3 id="_Analysis_document">Analysis document</h3>
Not a big deal. It has a SR tool or I can use Regex outside of the tool and before Sigil.

If their marketing is correct (hum, hum), I already have a lot of ideas to improve my flow. Zen.

I plan to start the evaluation next Monday. However I feel suspicious the silence in this forum.

Any feedback before I invest time on the evaluation?

Thanks.
abeonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
However I feel suspicious the silence in this forum.
The virtual "silence" might have something to do with the fact that this isn't the "Getting your Document Adequately HTMLized So You Can Turn It into an ePub That You Might Then Want to Edit with Sigil" forum.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The virtual "silence" might have something to do with the fact that this isn't the "Getting your Document Adequately HTMLized So You Can Turn It into an ePub That You Might Then Want to Edit with Sigil" forum.

another way of saying: Just because you use Sigil (or xyz) in your process, does not make Those forums the best place to pose a question.
Your (the OP) job (besides creating the work ) is to determine where things go Left and get help (from the dedicated forum) keeping thing straight and narrow.

Good luck
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This belongs in the conversion forum where there is a thread on the new Tool by Toxaris that is used to take Word's mess and clean it up for use in converting to ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
abeonis
eBook DIYer

Oops. Sorry if I selected the inappropriate forum. I meant there are only 2 threads in the entire MobileRead forum, not in Sigil only.

I know Toxaris tool and started testing it. I gave up though. It doesn't work in its current state, it doesn't implement what I need and I am not sure to be understood.

Gentle moderator, please move this thread to whatever forum you want.

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
abeonis
eBook DIYer

Silence and agressivity. Interesting.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeonis View Post
Silence and agressivity. Interesting.
Have a look in the Conversion forum and look for the thread on Toxaris' new tool for dealing with Word and cleaning the code. That's most likely what might work for you.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #8
abeonis
eBook DIYer

You don't listen to me my friend. I said ...

Quote:
I know Toxaris tool and started testing it. I gave up though. It doesn't work in its current state, it doesn't implement what I need and I am not sure to be understood.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeonis View Post
You don't listen to me my friend. I said ...
Then what to do is this...

Save as filtered HTML, convert to ePub with Calibre, and then use Sigil to fix the mess.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
abeonis
eBook DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Save as filtered HTML, convert to ePub with Calibre, and then use Sigil to fix the mess.
You are kidding?
Old 06-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #11
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I use word2cleanhtml.com to accomplish this, and I welcome seeing discussions of this problem in the Sigil forum. I had no idea they were frowned on!
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #12
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Perhaps you can write your own set of macros that do what you want, how you want it?

There is no need to use some other regex s/r program before sigil. Sigil has it built in. If you dont know how to write macros you can actually save common regex's in sigil so you don't need to write a macro to do it.

Wolf actually had a very good suggestion for you if you are unwilling or unable to use the recommended toxaris plugin. If you are asking for our feedback or recommendations then the silence IS feedback of a sort...people don't have anything good to say about it either because it's not a good tool, or there are better methods/processes and we don't use doc2html.

But by all means, try out the doc2html program. Let us know how it works for you.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #13
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:

The only thing I would add or change to wolf's suggestion is:
There is no need to use calibre to convert to ePub first, just add the HTML file directly to sigil. It will create the ePub without needing to clean up all the calibre mess.

So:
1) use Toxaris' plugin to clean up the document and save as HTML (or ePub)
2) open the resulting file in sigil and make final corrections (s/r, regex)

Or

1) SaveAs filtered HTML
2) open the resulting file in sigil and make final corrections (s/r, regex)

Cheers!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #14
abeonis
eBook DIYer

I know word2cleanhtml.com, it's the best solution I found so far except doing everything with Sigil. It is a shame it can't be run with a command file.

Quote:
Actually I prefer agressivity than this kind of hazing. Someone like JSWolf must know that this solution doesn't work. And if it works by miracle, there is a chance that KDP will not accept the mobi file generated. This misinformation is a mistery ... maybe a self-esteem problem.

Anyway, I like this kind of acid environment. It makes me stronger.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #15
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Quote:

No need to convert the filtered HTML with calibre. In fact, i think this is a bad idea. Just import the HTML directly into sigil. Copy the stlye-informations from the word generated HTML into a stylesheet. Let Sigil get rid of unused styles. Now just adjust the remaining styles to your liking.

If you have a good word document - one with styles - this will produce a very clean epub. Maybe you want to run a few regexes above it, for example to get rid of MsNormal. If you always use consistent styles in word, you can reuse your epub stylesheet for each converted document. If you have footnotes or some other more complicated things, you want to "fix" them with regexes also. They do work, but could be a little bit prettier. Just remember: Use styles in word.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote