Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #31
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I had no idea the KPW showed fingerprints like that. A pearl screen with just IR touch does not show fingerprints that badly. Is this something with that unit or is this an inherent flaw in the capacitance touch layer?
Yeah Capacitive screens show alot of fingerprints. On the KF they look like shadows when reading. I keep a cloth by me to wipe it down just before I go into a book.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Yeah Capacitive screens show alot of fingerprints. On the KF they look like shadows when reading. I keep a cloth by me to wipe it down just before I go into a book.
So why would Amazon switch from IR TO capacitance and all those fingerprints? The benefit of IR is no extra layer and very good when dealing with fingerprints because of the rink screen. I'm interested in how the new Kobo is with fingerprints since it still uses IR touch. This seems a step backwards (IMHO).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:35 PM   #33
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
So why would Amazon switch from IR TO capacitance and all those fingerprints? The benefit of IR is no extra layer and very good when dealing with fingerprints because of the rink screen. I'm interested in how the new Kobo is with fingerprints since it still uses IR touch. This seems a step backwards (IMHO).
Good point, and good question. I don't know why they switched from IR to capacitive, and honestly I don't see a real reason. It's probably just cheaper.

I still fail to understand why the (technical) method of determining touches (IR vs capacitive) would affect the (optical) visibility of fingerprints. Is it because the capacitive screens actually require a physical press - thereby necessarily leaving some traces - whereas the IR method could (in principle, if you're careful enough) work without ever actually touching the screen?

Still, I've physically touched my KT screen many many times, and I don't see any noticeable fingerprints. Why should that be different on the PW? (Maybe it's the light, I don't know).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:37 PM   #34
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
People want a more responsive screen and thinner Bezel. Not mention you can now read in the tub with a water proof baggie.
The downside is fingerprints but there are more pros than con using a Capacitive screen.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:24 AM   #35
teraflame
Enthusiast
teraflame began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I don't really notice fingerprints. The bezel itself though, yikes. Why couldn't they use a textured surface like K3?
teraflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:47 AM   #36
TXCiclista
TXCiclista began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Keyboard or Paperwhite, unsure)
Agreed. The bezel is seriously distracting. Is attracts oil like a magnet. Perhaps with time this will change, but a matte finish would have been preferable, or perhaps a not-true-black color.
TXCiclista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #37
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
To me, the black "ink" on my k3 is darker. It's faded on my pw by comparison. This more than anything else bothers me about the pw screen. I think the blotches are a problem that will be fixed (or already fixed), but that lighter text may be inherent to the pw.

I think a reason that pw text looks blurry to OP is pw seems to use more anti-aliasing than the k3. Odd considering that you'd expect to need LESS anti-aliasing with higher resolution.

I also notice that my pw with light off has a darker background than my k3 in a normal bright room. In fact, I need to turn up the light to about 9 or 10 on the pw to make the backgrounds match. Obviously the pw wins in term of background when I turn up the light even more.

So what I make of this: 1) maybe I just have an unusually good k3 screen and unusually bad pw screen, or 2) the additional light diffuser and touch layers degrade the eink screen picture quality, or 3) the new screens aren't as good, or at least we are not seeing a good batch. The k4b screens are reportedly better than the k4s, even though amazon isn't claiming any improvement.

OTOH, I recall a rep from eink saying the pearl screen is capable of some insane resolution. It's the controller that determines the practical resolution. So maybe the screen is still the same.

Heck, I don't know.

-------

I like the capacitative touch. I had problems using the IR touch, esp when I tried tocuching something near the corner.

I don't like the pw front bevel. It's too slicky. I liked the kindle 2 front bevel the best; it had a nice textured feel to it. It felt expensive
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #38
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
People want a more responsive screen and thinner Bezel. Not mention you can now read in the tub with a water proof baggie.
The downside is fingerprints but there are more pros than con using a Capacitive screen.
I don't see the benefits.
The screen is more responsive? It does not seem more responsive than my KT... and SONY is doing a perfectly good job with getting responsive screens that are IR.

I don't know... Something is off with the PW screen. As people are saying, you can tell the fonts are 'under glass'. To me, it's not about font crispness or whatnot. When I loot at the KT, it feels like words on a surface - aka, like a book. The PW looks like a screen, like reading on a monitor, not a book.

I don't know if this is due to the layer used for light or not. But I can tell you that it reminds me a lot of the switch SONY made. When they were using capacitive screens, as in the PRS900, you got the same impression - washed out fonts, clearly behind glass. When they switched to IR, all of a sudden everything was ok, it felt like a big improvement. And the PRS x50 series was a pretty big success. Kindle choose IR for their first touch screen and it worked. Now they took a step back with capacitive and, for some reason, the screen is off. Is it the 'touch' layer, or is it the 'light'? I honestly don't know.

But this does not 'feel' like e-ink to me.

The bezel being indented was a complaint for many. It never bothered me, but I see why they took it into consideration.

The 'works in water argument' - bah. Really? That's why I have to deal with washed-out fonts and fingerprints all over the place? They could have put a damn button on the thing and then you could have used it in a baggie. IF that is so important.... which is to you, but how many users? Worth screwing up the screen like this?

Last edited by vxf; 10-09-2012 at 05:17 PM.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #39
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I like the capacitative touch. I had problems using the IR touch, esp when I tried tocuching something near the corner.
I don't like the pw front bevel. It's too slicky.
I like the capacitive touch too, personally. I don't really notice fingerprints either. The bezel is nice, but definitely does attract fingerprints like crazy.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #40
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
Something is off with the PW screen. As people are saying, you can tell the fonts are 'under glass'.
I think it is the presence of the light, not the capacitive screen. As a previous owner of both a Nook Simple Touch and Nook Glow, I can tell you that the addition of the light on the Glow created exactly the situation you described, and they are both IR screens.

The effect on the PW is much less than the Glow, though. So that's a plus!
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #41
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I've been using my PW for 5 days now and have not seen a single fingerpirnt on it. In contrast my Kindle Fire 1st Gen always accumuiates fingerprints.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #42
Dropout
Enthusiast
Dropout began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Kindle 8th Gen
The capacitive touch would not be the layer that allows for noticeable fingerprints as it's not the top layer. The light guide is the top layer. Nonetheless, I do not notice fingerprints on my screen unless I have the light on and turn it to an extreme angle. The screen is quite a revelation for me coming from a K2. The smoothness of the fonts is great to my eyes, it's how paper on text looks. Comparing it to the K2 screen really shows me how jagged the text looked on the old Kindle.
Dropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #43
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropout View Post
The capacitive touch would not be the layer that allows for noticeable fingerprints as it's not the top layer. The light guide is the top layer. Nonetheless, I do not notice fingerprints on my screen unless I have the light on and turn it to an extreme angle. The screen is quite a revelation for me coming from a K2. The smoothness of the fonts is great to my eyes, it's how paper on text looks. Comparing it to the K2 screen really shows me how jagged the text looked on the old Kindle.
Early K2 screen was the worst of all Kindles. However, two K2 I bought (weeks before K3 came out) have nearly Pearl screen look, production must have improved overtime. I am not touching PW for a few more months, hopefully Amazon will refine its production process soon.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:43 AM   #44
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
Early K2 screen was the worst of all Kindles. However, two K2 I bought (weeks before K3 came out) have nearly Pearl screen look, production must have improved overtime. I am not touching PW for a few more months, hopefully Amazon will refine its production process soon.
K2. Those were the days. It had its share of quality issues as well. I exchanged mine because of 'sun fade'.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #45
Dropout
Enthusiast
Dropout began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Kindle 8th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
I have the International version, got it December 2009. I also put a darker/bolder version of Caecilia on it. The PW is such a great upgrade, but the K2 served me well the past 3 years.

Every single Kindle has had it's share of quality issues (except maybe the original, not sure). It's amazing how every cycle there is this very vocal group about how terrible the new Kindle is, in one way or another, and then come the next iteration there is lots of talk about how good Amazon used to be. We should learn by now to just wait.
Dropout is offline   Reply With Quote