Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #1
hedkandi
hedkandi has a spectacular aura abouthedkandi has a spectacular aura abouthedkandi has a spectacular aura abouthedkandi has a spectacular aura abouthedkandi has a spectacular aura abouthedkandi has a spectacular aura abouthedkandi has a spectacular aura abouthedkandi has a spectacular aura abouthedkandi has a spectacular aura abouthedkandi has a spectacular aura abouthedkandi has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo by Fnac
Question Kobo by FNAC doesn't display book cover

Hello everybody,
i recently (3 days ago) bought a Kobo by Fnac with 1.9.12 firmware release on board.
Yesterday I upgraded to 1.9.16 (actually it did without asking me anything) and I've seen when I turn off or standby the Kobo it doesn't show me the book cover I'm reading but it shows a "Fnac sponsored" page

Is it normal? Is there any way to see the book cover I'm reading?

Thanks a lot to everybody.
hedkandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
biscuitbear
biscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura about

Device: kobo by fnac
I guess it's normal. I got mine for Christmas and when sleeping or when turned off it always shows a Kobo by Fnac logo.
biscuitbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
satsuki_yatoshi
satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: kobo touch
just open the kobo "affiliate.conf" file (in the .kobo folder) with a text editor and replace :

affiliate=fnac

with

affiliate=Kobo

et voila, no more fnac logo.
satsuki_yatoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
It's strange, because I got mine from the same source did'nt do anything and when put in sleep on turn off, it displays my current reading book covert... (I've updated to 1.9.16, or rather it updated without asking )
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
satsuki_yatoshi
satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: kobo touch
yes the fnac logo appears if you synchronise the kobo with the fnac software, so if you do manual update, no problems ^^
satsuki_yatoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:30 AM   #6
alexul
Connoisseur
alexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura about

Device: PB 360, Kobo Touch
I simply renamed the affiliate file to xx and it shows the books cover in both modes.
alexul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:04 AM   #7
biscuitbear
biscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura about

Device: kobo by fnac
Quote:
Originally Posted by satsuki_yatoshi View Post
just open the kobo "affiliate.conf" file (in the .kobo folder) with a text editor and replace :

affiliate=fnac

with

affiliate=Kobo

et voila, no more fnac logo.

Thanks, it worked. Now I need to get some covers for my free books!
biscuitbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:40 AM   #8
edmond_n
edmond_n has a spectacular aura aboutedmond_n has a spectacular aura aboutedmond_n has a spectacular aura aboutedmond_n has a spectacular aura aboutedmond_n has a spectacular aura aboutedmond_n has a spectacular aura aboutedmond_n has a spectacular aura aboutedmond_n has a spectacular aura aboutedmond_n has a spectacular aura aboutedmond_n has a spectacular aura aboutedmond_n has a spectacular aura about

Device: Galaxy Tab
Where do i find "affiliate.conf"? you wrote to find it in kobo folder but I could not. can you give me more details? Please help
edmond_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #9
alexul
Connoisseur
alexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura about

I think it is a hidden folder in the root of the device. To see hidden folders in windows go to Folder Options, View tab check Show hidden files and folder, uncheck Hide protected operating system files, hit ok.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #10
edmond_n
edmond_n has a spectacular aura aboutedmond_n has a spectacular aura aboutedmond_n has a spectacular aura aboutedmond_n has a spectacular aura aboutedmond_n has a spectacular aura aboutedmond_n has a spectacular aura aboutedmond_n has a spectacular aura aboutedmond_n has a spectacular aura aboutedmond_n has a spectacular aura aboutedmond_n has a spectacular aura aboutedmond_n has a spectacular aura about

Device: Galaxy Tab
when i tried to uncheck hide protected operating system files i got warning that if i uncheck the system might be unstable. should i do it anyway?
edmond_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #11
alexul
Connoisseur

yes. these options wil only make you see all hidden/protected files. so unless you delete something it won't be a problem. after you are done you can hide them again.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #12
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
I had to go through the same process after a factory reset : the check boxes had disappeared after resetting and updating. It worked the check boxes are back
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #13
matthias
Enthusiast
matthias has a spectacular aura aboutmatthias has a spectacular aura aboutmatthias has a spectacular aura aboutmatthias has a spectacular aura aboutmatthias has a spectacular aura aboutmatthias has a spectacular aura aboutmatthias has a spectacular aura aboutmatthias has a spectacular aura aboutmatthias has a spectacular aura aboutmatthias has a spectacular aura aboutmatthias has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
I'm sorry that i have to dig up this old thread - However i'm facing a similar problem - My glo comes from Mondadori (italian seller).

When i first started it, i've only had about 10 books on it (uploaded from my calibre-library).
I started reading one of the books, when i put the kobo glo to sleep-mode, it was showing the book-cover as set in the settings.
only then i had to delete all my books on the kobo, since i didn't had them as i wished to have them (shelf = series...).

After re-adding the books (which now are quite a few more (about 100)) - I'm unable to display the book-cover.
I've tried it with several different books, and also tried to do a factory-reset.
According to the instructions in this thread, i've removed the "mondadory" - letters from the sleep-mode - however, it still won't show more than the sleeping smilie and "sleep mode", no matter what i change in the settings.

Maybe the Kobo didn't like me to delete the book it wanted to show the cover from - however a factory Reset should have resolved this, but it didn't...
so eighter it's still saved somewhere and the kobo can't overwrite this setting - or there is a bug in the firmware not allowing more than a few books loaded from calibre...

i'd really apreciate an idea about this...
matthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthias View Post
Maybe the Kobo didn't like me to delete the book it wanted to show the cover from - however a factory Reset should have resolved this, but it didn't...

so eighter it's still saved somewhere and the kobo can't overwrite this setting - or there is a bug in the firmware not allowing more than a few books loaded from calibre...

i'd really apreciate an idea about this...
I'm running over 1500 sideloaded books so I don't think it is a limit on sideloaded books.

I'd suggest a factory reset, let the Kobo run through it's entire sync and update procedure, then add 2 or 3 books and see what the results are. If they look good, my suspicion is that you have a corrupted book which is causing your problem.

If those first books look good, I'd add a few books at a time and allow the Kobo to process them after each addition to see if you can isolate the corrupted book.

Good Luck!
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #15
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthias View Post
- however a factory Reset should have resolved this, but it didn't...
After you did the factory reset, did you go into the settings/light, power and sleep menu and make sure the "SCREENSAVER - show current book" cover box near the bottom of the screen was ticked.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote