Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you use Duokan Lite generally?
from the boot screen 127 34.42%
with launchpad hotkeys 34 9.21%
haven't used yet 208 56.37%
Voters: 369. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2011, 09:29 AM   #46
whatnopaper
Alien life form
whatnopaper is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo tablet, Forma, iPad
Tried this on Kindle 3.3 but got an error. Will Duokan lite be avaiable for kindle 3.3 firmware?

(Update- reset my kindle to factory default and Duokan installed successfully. Kindle firmware is still 3.3)

Last edited by whatnopaper; 10-17-2011 at 11:20 AM.
whatnopaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #47
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by w_nightshade View Post
OK, this is odd... I installed Duokan Lite on my Kindle and it works, but I cannot see ANY of my MOBI content - only my PDFs. What did I do wrong?
Nothing - at the moment Duokan only supports EPUB, PDF, TXT.

Mobi support would be nice, but EPUB's are generally easy to convert and such - so once you're over the initial hump it's not really an issue.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #48
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by savy View Post
Thanks for the effort on translation.

I just added them into the source depot. You can get 2 more languages -Spanish and Portuguese in next realease.

DK Lite leverage some Open Source projects. We could give something back. But the team is quiet busy on building the product. It can be in plan, but no actions now.

We will build an English site for global users. Sorry for those who can not read English. Appreciate on help translating if that happens.
Welcome.
we have a developer now.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #49
anxobaltar
Enthusiast
anxobaltar began at the beginning.

Device: kindle Oasis 9th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnopaper View Post
Tried this on Kindle 3.3 but got an error. Will Duokan lite be avaiable for kindle 3.3 firmware?

(Update- reset my kindle to factory default and Duokan installed successfully. Kindle firmware is still 3.3)
So, Can you confirm that dklite works with 3.3?
anxobaltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:34 PM   #50
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxobaltar View Post
I'm not sure about installing - however it's still running perfectly here. From what I've seen the install should also work.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:54 PM   #51
w_nightshade
w_nightshade began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
Nothing - at the moment Duokan only supports EPUB, PDF, TXT.

Mobi support would be nice, but EPUB's are generally easy to convert and such - so once you're over the initial hump it's not really an issue.
Well, that explains it. Cheers!
w_nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #52
tvjohn
Connoisseur
tvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by anxobaltar View Post
I've just installed 1014.1225 on a European 3.3. Never used Duokan before this.

I have my K3 jb'd, but didn't remove it, nor did I reset to Factory defaults.

I placed the small B00A update file in K3's root folder, & installed it again as the first time it installed no text was visible, just skeleton icons. Maybe I pressed the uninstall sequence, as Duokan just vanished from K3!

I successfully switched to Kindle mode, oh & prior to that, to FBreader. I haven't yet worked out how to get to Duokan Lite from a launchpad sequence. There are several threads on Duokan & it's tricky to spot the options for the newer Duokans

I'm on a mac here & I see my ._ file names show up on Duokan, making it look like I've got every file duplicated, so I'll need to get rid of those files via my mac.
tvjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #53
savy
savy began at the beginning.

Device: Kinde 3
We have a new site based on a Chinese ICP: http://blog.sina.com.cn/bestreader

Can someone help us on building Duokan English page, which can be accessed by internet both in and out of China?

Chinese GFW banned lots of hosts, including Wordpress. We like to choose one server as permanent window for all users.

Last edited by savy; 10-19-2011 at 11:30 AM.
savy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #54
savy
savy began at the beginning.

Device: Kinde 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvjohn View Post
I've just installed 1014.1225 on a European 3.3. Never used Duokan before this.

I have my K3 jb'd, but didn't remove it, nor did I reset to Factory defaults.

I placed the small B00A update file in K3's root folder, & installed it again as the first time it installed no text was visible, just skeleton icons. Maybe I pressed the uninstall sequence, as Duokan just vanished from K3!

I successfully switched to Kindle mode, oh & prior to that, to FBreader. I haven't yet worked out how to get to Duokan Lite from a launchpad sequence. There are several threads on Duokan & it's tricky to spot the options for the newer Duokans

I'm on a mac here & I see my ._ file names show up on Duokan, making it look like I've got every file duplicated, so I'll need to get rid of those files via my mac.
The issue will be fixed on later.
savy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:20 PM   #55
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Can someone help us on building Duokan English page, which can be accessed by internet both in and out of China?

Chinese GFW banned lots of hosts, including Wordpress. We like to choose one server as permanent window for all users.
Thanks for the site.
Any possibility to have an English interface?

Last edited by thomass; 10-19-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:38 PM   #56
tvjohn
Connoisseur
tvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

The FAQ is useful, thank you.

I have tried to register, but it chops off my email address, presumably because it is greater than 16 characters?

Can you make a way to register so that we can contribute anything useful we find please?

Oh & thank you for your reply about mac "._" files. Kindle native firmware seems to be aware of these & makes them invisible to a user.

Since I still haven't discovered how to actually start Duokan from within Kindle's firmware, I haven't returned to Kindle mode since installing it, & I haven't really missed Kindle's firmware yet, so Duokan is looking very nice, with some clever features. It actually makes using Kindle's keyboard useful

Now I can start reading some of my many PDF's
Old 10-19-2011, 01:02 PM   #57
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Since I still haven't discovered how to actually start Duokan from within Kindle's firmware, I haven't returned to Kindle mode since installing it.
  • install launchpad hack
  • then copy the files in duokan-ini.zip into launchpad folder created after installation of launchpad hack
  • press shift shift space

to launch Duokanlite
pres shift D S

to return Kindle press shift D X

Quote:
I have tried to register, but it chops off my email address, presumably because it is greater than 16 characters?

Can you make a way to register so that we can contribute anything useful we find please?
You can use the account with name:mobilereadusers@sina.cn and password:duokanlite to left a comment on this site
Alternatively you can write a comment without logging in ,as anonymous user, by using option 匿名评论 at the lower right side of the comment area

Last edited by thomass; 10-19-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:12 PM   #58
tvjohn
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
then copy the files in duokan-ini.zip into launchpad folder

to launch Duokanlite
pres shift D S

to return Kindle press shift D X

You can use the account with name:mobilereadusers and password:duokanlite to left a comment on this site
Alternatively you can write a comment without logging in ,as anonymous user, by using option 匿名评论 at the lower right side of the comment area
Thank you kindly for that thomass!

I had already tried 2 different posted duokan.ini files but for some reason I missed that one in your English Duokan post. I edited one of the ini files to call rundk.sh but that didn't work.

Presumably it's ok to use either the launchpad sequence D X, or the return to Kindle option from Duokan Lite's system settings?

I'll try that too, thanks
Old 10-19-2011, 02:22 PM   #59
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Thank you kindly for that thomass!

I had already tried 2 different posted duokan.ini files but for some reason I missed that one in your English Duokan post. I edited one of the ini files to call rundk.sh but that didn't work.

Presumably it's ok to use either the launchpad sequence D X, or the return to Kindle option from Duokan Lite's system settings?

I'll try that too, thanks
use only D X
If you use the one in the system settings it quits Duokan but not able to return to Kindle. using D X after that fixes this problem.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:34 PM   #60
tvjohn
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
use only D X
If you use the one in the system settings it quits Duokan but not able to return to Kindle. using D X after that fixes this problem.
As I have just discovered before reading your post

However, there is an interesting side effect of calling Duokan via the 3 files in your zip, in that plugging in USB does not bring up Kindle as a storage device on my computer. I have to switch to Kindle mode to do that. Prior to installing these 3 files, each time I've plugged in K3 running Duokan Lite, to my mac, it has appeared correctly allowing me to transfer files, along with the USB icon & associated Chinese text.

I wonder if it's a result of K3 having 3.3 firmware?

Tags
doukan, duokan, duokan lite, epub, information, keyboard, kindle keyboard, mod, pdf