Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #466
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura81 View Post
Hmmm... maybe I should consider getting the K3 keyboard instead of the K4 non touch, even though I don't really want a keyboard. Decisions, decisions. I'd probably look at a Sony but pretty sure they don't sell them internationally.
Here Laura is pic of them side by side.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k4vspp.jpg
Views:	1064
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	77371   Click image for larger version

Name:	vs.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	77373  

Last edited by Blossom; 10-05-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:02 PM   #467
jswinden
Nameless Being

Here are two photos with my K3 and K4 side by side. I swapped out positions between the two photos so as to try to limit the effects of lighting and shadows. This is of course not scientific, but it helps balance out the lighting between photos by swapping positions of the two models. (As you can see the model on the left tends to show a darker background regardless which model it is.)

I will let you judge for yourself as frankly it is too close to call for my eyes! Both are extremely readable IMO.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	comparison-k3-to-k4.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	512.4 KB
ID:	77374   Click image for larger version

Name:	comparison-k4-to-k3.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	444.7 KB
ID:	77375  

Last edited by jswinden; 10-05-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #468
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Here are two photos with my K3 and K4 side by side. I swapped out positions between the two photos so as to try to limit the effects of lighting and shadows. This is of course not scientific, but it helps balance out the lighting between photos by swapping positions of the two models. I will let you judge for yourself as frankly it is too close to call for my eyes!

How is it with the default fonts? I know you use a heavy font. If I put a heavy font on my Pocket Pro even it looks black like a pearl screen.

The last pic I added of the three readers shows the true background of my K4.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-05-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #469
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
How is it with the default fonts? I know you use a heavy font. If I put a heavy font on my Pocket Pro even it looks black like a pearl screen.

The last pic I added of the three readers shows the true background of my K4.
So, I don't see a reason to upgrade from a Pocket Pro other than speed, right? Would you mind addressing how much faster it is than the PP?
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #470
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
Here's the screen variation that you can see even in the Kindle Keyboard. Note the one underneath is a *newer* Kindle Keyboard purchased in 2011, the top one is an older Kindle Keyboard purchased in 2010. The older one definately has a "whiter" screen, I can see it with the naked eye.

Mine looks like the older one.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #471
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post

The last pic I added of the three readers show the true background of my K4.
I would have to re-do the plugin for fonts and margins if I reloaded the standard fonts. That would take time, so I probably won't be able to for a while. But as I recall, they looked about the same with the standard fonts relative to the way they look with the bolder one.

I still have trouble differentiating between the screens on my K3 and K4 as they both look good. One will look better in certain light and the other will look better in different light. But over all they are very close. Both are much better than the Kobo Touch I briefly owned, and it also had the Pearl screen. I sold my Sony 350 a few weeks before I got my K4, but the Pearl screen on it was close to that on the K3.

EDIT: I should mention that the more light that falls on an E Ink screen (without causing glare) the lighter the background will look. Also the type of light makes a difference. Incandescent, fluorescent, LEDs, and natural sunlight all have unique tones and hues.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-05-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #472
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I'm just wondering if the color of the case that surrounds the screen may have an effect on how the e-ink and screen background are perceived. As an experiment, you could cut out the middle from two pieces of same-colored paper and put that over the two Kindle devices to see if they look any different when compared side-by-side. It's very difficult to tell from the photos.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:18 PM   #473
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
So, I don't see a reason to upgrade from a Pocket Pro other than speed, right? Would you mind addressing how much faster it is than the PP?
S
Oh wow the Pocket Pro is a turtle compare to speed. There is no and I repeat no second presses needed, no pauses between presses and it's so responsive compare to the PP that when I use the PP I want to throw it.

Check out the screen shot with the 3 kindles I posted for Laura. The Pocket pro looks like it was printed in draft and the Kindles look like they were printed in full greyscale.

I don't know how to describe the difference other then the PP looks like a washed out newspaper and the Kindles look sharp and crisp and beautiful.

If I had choose between a K4 and PP it's the K4 hands down. If I had to choose between my K3 vs my K4 I am seriously torn but screen wise my K3 is better as you can see in Zeebra screenshot on of theirs is looks more like the K4.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-05-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #474
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I would have to re-do the plugin for fonts and margins if I reloaded the standard fonts. That would take time, so I probably won't be able to for a while. But as I recall, they looked about the same with the standard fonts relative to the way they look with the bolder one.

I still have trouble differentiating between the screens on my K3 and K4 as they both look good. One will look better in certain light and the other will look better in different light. But over all they are very close. Both are much better than the Kobo Touch I briefly owned, and it also had the Pearl screen. I sold my Sony 350 a few weeks before I got my K4, but the Pearl screen on it was close to that on the K3.
After seeing Zeebra's two I think I just have a really good K3 screen which I guess I expected the K4 to have but it doesn't.
I guess I expected everyone's K3 was as good as mine but maybe not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
I'm just wondering if the color of the case that surrounds the screen may have an effect on how the e-ink and screen background are perceived. As an experiment, you could cut out the middle from two pieces of same-colored paper and put that over the two Kindle devices to see if they look any different when compared side-by-side. It's very difficult to tell from the photos.
I wondered that too if that is the case, a decal sticker will fix it when they come out. However after looking at my Pocket Pro and my K4 the difference is phenomenal between the two.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #475
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Seems like eInks production process leaves something to be desired.

BOb
You said it but after seeing the T1 screen I think I am going to with it instead of the touch. It's really nice!

Last edited by Blossom; 10-05-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:28 PM   #476
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The conclusion that I would personally draw from this discussion is, I think, that ALL these news have very good screens, and that differences in individual perception as to which is nicer are just that - individual differences.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:33 PM   #477
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The conclusion that I would personally draw from this discussion is, I think, that ALL these news have very good screens, and that differences in individual perception as to which is nicer are just that - individual differences.
I think in my case is I have a K3 outside of the norm, so I am spoiled and was shocked to learn not all K3 have a screen as good as mine.

I really think it has something to do with the glass they used it's different from the K3 glass. It has a different finish on it or maybe my K3 glass is different from other's K3 glass. At this point I just know.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #478
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Thank you! I actually have the 6" EZ Reader, so it is even slower than the Pocket Pro. My mom has the PP, so I know what the screen looks like. And yes, the EZ Reader is getting a might bit long in the tooth for me! I am going to look at the Sony too though, it does look pretty!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #479
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Thank you! I actually have the 6" EZ Reader, so it is even slower than the Pocket Pro. My mom has the PP, so I know what the screen looks like. And yes, the EZ Reader is getting a might bit long in the tooth for me! I am going to look at the Sony too though, it does look pretty!
S
The change will be like I remember when I first turn my K3 on *dreamy eyes* It's was amazing! *happy sigh* I am getting a T1 too and they are really nice. So is the K4 for the price. I mean for $79 you can't beat the quality. We paid $200 for the Pocket Pro in it's day and it doesn't come close to a K4 for $79.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #480
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I just noticed something not sure this a K4 thing but went to archive items and there is an option. "add other device collections" When I choose it showed my other Kindle and K4PC as options. I could add the collections from my K3 to it. This would of been nice last night if I had bee awake enough instead of having to manually remake my collections.

Ah I see it's was introduced when you own a second Kindle or have Kindle For PC installed.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-05-2011 at 03:19 PM.